Network/Reception with firm's other office?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Network/Reception with firm's other office?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:12 am

Would it be at all useful to attend a reception in a city that you aren't going to be applying to? Same firm, but different office, if you cant make it to their reception at their main office which you want to be at

i.e. their main office is in LA, but they also also offer a reception in Chicago which is a smaller office, and the receptions are after classes start. If I want to work in the LA office, which also hires more people, but I go to school in Chicago, is it worth going to a reception in their Chicago office? I probably would not even apply to their Chicago office next year, since I'd rather be in LA and their LA office hires a lot more

Or, could showing up at that reception make it look like you want that other office and detract from your apparent interest in the main city?

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Network/Reception with firm's other office?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 am

It will be useful insofar as you might be able to bring it up during an interview as a way to show interest in the firm, and you might get information about firm selling points you can later regurgitate at an interview.

It's not going to hurt you. Interviewers often ask a question along the lines of "are you interviewing for other cities?" If you bid on or interviewed with Chicago firms/offices, that fact might hurt you. If you didn't bid on or interview with Chicago firms/offices, they won't care that you went to a reception there.

Anonymous User

Re: Network/Reception with firm's other office?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:04 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:It will be useful insofar as you might be able to bring it up during an interview as a way to show interest in the firm, and you might get information about firm selling points you can later regurgitate at an interview.

It's not going to hurt you. Interviewers often ask a question along the lines of "are you interviewing for other cities?" If you bid on or interviewed with Chicago firms/offices, that fact might hurt you. If you didn't bid on or interview with Chicago firms/offices, they won't care that you went to a reception there.

Makes sense thank you

Return to “Legal Employment”