Stearns Weaver Miller - 1L SA - Anybody know anything?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stearns Weaver Miller - 1L SA - Anybody know anything?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

So this firm sent out a general email to me, presumably because I am Florida, inviting a resume to review for their 1L SA program and they will be conducting interviews over the break while Florida residents will be back.

It looks like 100+ attorney firm, only in FL. General Tort defense, some securities and corporate stuff, real estate, etc. Does anybody know anything about them? Previous SA? How would a SA look from them as a 1L gunning for V100 through OCI later? Don't really want worry about this before exams but their deadline is before exams are over so I have to if I want to send in a resume.

Anonymous User

Re: Stearns Weaver Miller - 1L SA - Anybody know anything?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:45 am

I'd like to know as well. Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:22 am

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:37 am

You have to know if you want to send them a resume? Dude, just send them a resume. What do you lose?

For what its worth it is considered a decent midlaw firm in FL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 pm

I interviewed with them last year, and a friend of mine was hired by them.

From what I recall, they hire most/all of their SAs as 1Ls. They interview at some of the t14 in the Spring. They don't seem to require FL ties, though I'm sure that helps.

The mystery to me is how their recruiting model could possibly work. It looks to me as if they hire the best people they can as 1Ls, rather than people they might actually stand a chance of keeping. I know my friend will be spending his 2L summer at a v5, and has absolutely no interest in returning to SWM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Yeah, I was wondering what the angle was on 1L recruiting at T-14's for a midlaw firm. I also get where your coming from about just sending them a resume. I still wanted to see what people have heard about them.

Did your friend have an opinion on his experience there? What office do he work in? I am from the Tampa area and wouldn't want to work in Miami, for this summer at least, but I have a feeling that is the only place they offer SA's.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You have to know if you want to send them a resume? Dude, just send them a resume. What do you lose?

For what its worth it is considered a decent midlaw firm in FL.

You don't get it man, he WILL be GUNNING FOR V100 at OCI. Now is not a time to take prisoners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did your friend have an opinion on his experience there? What office do he work in? I am from the Tampa area and wouldn't want to work in Miami, for this summer at least, but I have a feeling that is the only place they offer SA's.

I'm the anon from above.

He seemed to genuinely enjoy his summer - liked the people, etc. I was too jealous to bring myself to ask him for details.

I do think they only hire 1Ls for the Miami office. That was my impression last year, at least.

This thread is getting a bit repetitive, but to try and make the point in a nicer way: your comments suggest you have the wrong attitude towards 1L SA positions. No matter who you are, you'll be incredibly lucky if you get one. You're certainly not going to be able to choose. Restricting your job search to Tampa seems especially ludicrous, given that there are probably only 1-2 1L SA positions in Tampa, and 1000+ students applying for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Original poster that is now getting the TLS wrath based off an, apparently, imprecisely worded post.

I appreciate the response about the experience you had and what you do know about your friend. I also have no illusions about what its like trying to get a 1L SA. I had always planned on applying and knew that it would be ultra-competitive. If they offered SA's in Tampa that would be good to know because I have stronger contacts there and personally like the area. I am sure your right that there are few if any spots available there. There is a very little literature about the firm and I wanted to get an idea about how they are regarded and what the experience is like. Looking into a firm and asking questions about how they are regarded and the quality of the SA experience is not indicative of a superiority complex. I assume its what anybody does if they are applying somewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a very little literature about the firm and I wanted to get an idea about how they are regarded and what the experience is like. Looking into a firm and asking questions about how they are regarded and the quality of the SA experience is not indicative of a superiority complex. I assume its what anybody does if they are applying somewhere.

I'm the anon from above, again. I don't mean to be a d-bag, but I feel like I should point out that that is not "what anyone does if they are applying somewhere." I applied to 100+ firms as a 1L, and I have friends who applied to a lot more. I didn't have time to ask questions on the internet about the quality of life at those firms. More generally, the point is that any 1L who seriously wants a firm job should be applying to as many places as humanly possible. Chances of getting a 1L SA are extremely slight, no matter how great you are. From all my 1L applications, I got one interview, which led to a rejection. At 2L OCI, I got multiple v20 offers. That's the way this process works. And because your chance of getting a SA position at any one particular firm are so slim, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time asking questions about the firm - even if you somehow have the time.

If you don't really want a 1L SA position, though, that's fine. Obviously, there are plenty of other good 1L summer opportunities. I appreciate that location might be more important you than biglaw, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:47 pm

has anyone heard back on offers from SWM?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard back on offers from SWM?

Bump or any rejections?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 pm

I got an offer and have accepted. (1L)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer and have accepted. (1L)

Range? I know they want to take three 1L SA's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Is a bump okay?

Return to “Legal Employment”