A question about judicial internship interviews (1L) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
karina

New

A question about judicial internship interviews (1L)

Post by karina » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:42 am

I have an interview coming up with a federal district judge. I have been going through some potential questions that the judge might ask me, and I don't know how to answer the question "why do you want to work with this particular judge?"

To be honest, I just mass-mailed all the federal district judges in my state to improve my chance of getting a position, and didn't give that much thought into whether I wanted to work for each judge that I applied to. I happen to really like and admire the judge that will interview me, since he/she has been very outspoken about his/her minority status and he/she has been very actively involved in advancing the cause of this minority group within the legal sphere. But is this really an appropriate answer to give during the interview? Or should I somehow try to craft my answer so that it is more relevant to her rulings/approach to law, etc.?

stillwater

Gold

Re: A question about judicial internship interviews (1L)

Post by stillwater » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:38 am

karina wrote:I have an interview coming up with a federal district judge. I have been going through some potential questions that the judge might ask me, and I don't know how to answer the question "why do you want to work with this particular judge?"

To be honest, I just mass-mailed all the federal district judges in my state to improve my chance of getting a position, and didn't give that much thought into whether I wanted to work for each judge that I applied to. I happen to really like and admire the judge that will interview me, since he/she has been very outspoken about his/her minority status and he/she has been very actively involved in advancing the cause of this minority group within the legal sphere. But is this really an appropriate answer to give during the interview? Or should I somehow try to craft my answer so that it is more relevant to her rulings/approach to law, etc.?
they will understand you are applying broadly. know why you want to work at the district court level and why in that district in particular. but i don't think why the particular judge is going to be asked.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: A question about judicial internship interviews (1L)

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah, I agree. But I think if the question did come up, the minority-group advancement answer would be perfectly great.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”