Firm Receptions [as a 1L] - Any point?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm Receptions [as a 1L] - Any point?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Just got invited to one after being told that they only hire 1Ls through diversity fellowship. I was going to be in the city, but have my flight booked to fly out the weekend before (in January).

Is it worth the ~$50 change fee to stay an extra week to go to this reception? It is a firm I would love to work at 2L, is there any tangible benefit to be had from this, come OCI-time or whenever?

BostonLove

Re: Firm Receptions [as a 1L] - Any point?

Postby BostonLove » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got invited to one after being told that they only hire 1Ls through diversity fellowship. I was going to be in the city, but have my flight booked to fly out the weekend before (in January).

Is it worth the ~$50 change fee to stay an extra week to go to this reception? It is a firm I would love to work at 2L, is there any tangible benefit to be had from this, come OCI-time or whenever?

I think they are good to attend generally, but I probably wouldn't change travel plans for it. I would contact the firm saying that you are not going to be in the area at the time but would love to set up some informational interviews with attorneys (in xyz practice area, if you know) if possible. Or just email those attorneys directly asking to meet while you are in the area (in January or whenever you'll be there next). If it is a firm that keeps track of that stuff, reaching out specifically for informational interviews will probably show more interest than spending a couple hours eating/drinking and talking to them.

Neff

Postby Neff » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:40 pm

I went to a couple of 1L receptions. I found them helpful during OCI. At some point, most OCI/CB interviewers ask some variant of the "why our firm?" question. I would say that I really liked the people I met at the reception, and then mention something one of them told me about the firm. In other words, you can act like you know a bit more about the firm, and regurgitate selling points.

That said, I probably wouldn't spend $50 to go to one - unless it's your dream firm.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I went to a couple of 1L receptions. I found them helpful during OCI. At some point, most OCI/CB interviewers ask some variant of the "why our firm?" question. I would say that I really liked the people I met at the reception, and then mention something one of them told me about the firm. In other words, you can act like you know a bit more about the firm, and regurgitate selling points.

That said, I probably wouldn't spend $50 to go to one - unless it's your dream firm.

This is probably the best justification I've heard for going to these but fundamentally I think they're still a waste of time.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:51 am

Free food and booze is never a waste of time

Neff

Postby Neff » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:03 am

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 am

I should amend my advice to clarify that I went to a so so law school. Firm receptions are a waste of time for anyone outside the top 20 percent. Maybe top third in a better economy. I went to one or two and they were mainly desperate people with bad grades trying to ZOMGNETWORK their way into jobs. Felt bad man.

Benjamin1987

Postby Benjamin1987 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:24 am

legends159 wrote:Free food and booze is never a waste of time

If you have to spend $50 to change your flight, the food and booze aren't free.

That being said, I would only go if this a dream firm and you have time to kill. But, lets be honest, you're a 1L, you don't have time to kill. Hit the books. If you don't have the grades the networking will be for naught. If you have the grades the networking won't be necessary.

Postby 2014 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:26 am

I think it's a close call. I was definitely asked by interviewers at OCI if I went to their reception and while saying no was by no means damning, I would have preferred to be able to say yes and potentially already have an interviewer recognize me (since reception attorneys often do OCI interviews too).

I think it's worth the $50 but not indefensible if you pass.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:51 am

Not worth the flight change.

But, in general, these receptions are great ideas -- free food/booze, a chance to interact with these attorneys in a quasi-casual setting, and a chance to interact with your classmates as well. The most important OCI-related reason to go is probably the second of those -- if you don't feel comfortable striking up conversations with people you don't know (AKA every law firm interview), this is a low-pressure way to work on that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Worth it.

Go in with the goal of hitting it off with one person, and ask for a business card later. Even if it's not your interviewer, it's likely that people there are on the hiring committee. When you hit it off, ask for a business card and set up a lunch over the summer where you can ask more penetrating questions.

I loved seeing my OCI interviewer's face light up when I told them things about their firm that wasn't on the internet.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:11 pm

If you are top 30%, it is worth the change fee.

Return to “Legal Employment”