What exactly is this position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What exactly is this position?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Litigation Attorney:
The Los Angeles office of XXXXXXX is seeking a highly motivated attorney to join our global Litigation practice in a non-partnership track role. Primary consideration will be given to law school graduates or those completing judicial clerkships in calendar year 2012 and 2013. The position offers the right candidate the opportunity to assume significant responsibility in complex matters. The candidate must possess a J.D. and be licensed to practice in the State of California. Excellent credentials as well as strong research, writing and verbal communications skills are required. Some stand-up experience in court is strongly preferred.
We offer competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including health, dental, life, 401(k) and many other excellent benefits.

My question is, what exactly is this "non-partnership track?" The internet is really not telling me much. Is this an actual associate position that simply doesn't have a partnership opportunity down the road, or is this just a doc-review job with lipstick?

arklaw13

Re: What exactly is this position?

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Sounds like a staff attorney position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:03 pm

arklaw13 wrote:Sounds like a staff attorney position.

That's kinda what I thought. I applied for it and received an email thanking me for applying to the "Associate Position," so I got a tad confused as to what the hell i had just applied for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:Sounds like a staff attorney position.

That's kinda what I thought. I applied for it and received an email thanking me for applying to the "Associate Position," so I got a tad confused as to what the hell i had just applied for.

It does seem odd. The description is different from what I've read a staff attorney does.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I know of at least one large boutique that is straight up bait-and-switching people: they advertise jobs as "associate" positions but then have their recruiting coordinator call you up and say something like, "it's actually a staff attorney position that pays [half of what regular associates make]." Despicable behavior.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Yeah it sounds like what I've heard refered to as an "of counsel" position - you're part of the firm, can work with whomever, work on your own files if you have them, but you are not going to be able to advance and your salary will probably be less than a true "associate" who can advance up the ladder. Your billing rate will be lower, so you may not get the best cases to work on - but a job is a job. But just know, when shit hits the fan, you are first to get the boot.

Return to “Legal Employment”