Send thank you e-mail after receiving care package?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I send thank you notes to recruiter?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

Send thank you e-mail after receiving care package?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 pm

2L. Received a nice care package from next summer's law firm. Nothing too fancy. Just some munchies.

I know it's probably trivial and it doesn't matter either way, but I can't even go to the toilet without TLS approval.

Anonymous User

Re: Send thank you e-mail after receiving care package?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 pm

is it appropriate to each firm munchies in front of other law students? what if they are firm branded munchies? (e.g. a perkins coie energy drink)

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L. Received a nice care package from next summer's law firm. Nothing too fancy. Just some munchies.

I know it's probably trivial and it doesn't matter either way, but I can't even go to the toilet without TLS approval.

No. Don't initiate contact unless they require it for something or are clearly looking for a response.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:is it appropriate to each firm munchies in front of other law students? what if they are firm branded munchies? (e.g. a perkins coie energy drink)

Depends on your school. Do you go to HYS?

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:05 am

If you can identify an individual who was responsible for the gift, go for it. If your email would go to recruiting generally, don't bother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:17 am

OP here. Thanks for the input. That makes sense.

Neff

Postby Neff » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:22 am

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sap

Postby sap » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:23 am

I AM SO GLAD SOMEONE ASKED THIS, I was having secret thank you note guilt pangs during finals.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Neff wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is it appropriate to each firm munchies in front of other law students? what if they are firm branded munchies? (e.g. a perkins coie energy drink)

The majority rule: Generally, yes. There is a rebuttable presumption that eating your firm's munchies (even branded ones) is kosher. Burden of proof is on the other students to show that the manner of your eating and the general circumstances warrant a finding of inappropriateness.

The minority rule (HYS): Yes. This is always okay.

The TTT rule: No. This is never okay. No matter what.

Feel compelled to say that this was the best.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:14 pm

What firm is this????

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Saw someone from my school post a picture (just of the gift and saying thanks to FirmName on facebook. I don't think that is appropriate (not to mention totally unnecessary).

I'd send a thank you note. It is polite, takes two seconds, and really doesn't have a downside. You already have the summer position, so either they don't care and toss the note or they appreciate it.

If you want to eat or drink the branded gift and aren't obnoxious about it (by which I mean you aren't holding up whatever says the firm name and shoving it in everyone's faces or talking about them loudly or such in a way that means you aren't actually hungry/thirsty but instead just want everyone to know how much your firm loves you - but really, that is obnoxious behavior if regarding a firm or anything else in life), go for it. Most people won't notice or care. While I can see an argument for it being annoying, so long as you aren't being obnoxious about it and are just enjoying your snack, I don't think most would notice/care.

I say this all as a 2L who is still job searching.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saw someone from my school post a picture (just of the gift and saying thanks to FirmName on facebook. I don't think that is appropriate (not to mention totally unnecessary).

I'd send a thank you note. It is polite, takes two seconds, and really doesn't have a downside. You already have the summer position, so either they don't care and toss the note or they appreciate it.

If you want to eat or drink the branded gift and aren't obnoxious about it (by which I mean you aren't holding up whatever says the firm name and shoving it in everyone's faces or talking about them loudly or such in a way that means you aren't actually hungry/thirsty but instead just want everyone to know how much your firm loves you - but really, that is obnoxious behavior if regarding a firm or anything else in life), go for it. Most people won't notice or care. While I can see an argument for it being annoying, so long as you aren't being obnoxious about it and are just enjoying your snack, I don't think most would notice/care.

I can't believe there are real people like this

ilove_toshop

Postby ilove_toshop » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:51 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Saw someone from my school post a picture (just of the gift and saying thanks to FirmName on facebook. I don't think that is appropriate (not to mention totally unnecessary).

I can't believe there are real people like this

There's a few at my school who love to post stuff like this too. They just have to let everyone know how sweet they are because they received a scholarship or that they have passed the MRPE. Lol.

Return to “Legal Employment”