Disfigured face & Diversity Hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Disfigured face & Diversity Hiring

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Hey guys,

I recently received a Diversity 1L SA application that was mass mailed to our school. If your face is disfigured, does that fall under diversity? Or is it more by race/disabilities that significantly affect day to day life (read: wheelchair bound). Also, should you include something like this in your Cover Letter? It seems catch 22. It could hurt you because someone can discriminate immediately; or, it can help you because it labels you as a diversity candidate immediately. Any thoughts?

Ty

Anon

hookem14

Re: Disfigured face & Diversity Hiring

Postby hookem14 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Unless the application singles out certain groups that the firm is looking for (e.g., racial minorities, LGBT) I'd say go for it and apply. Probably wouldn't hurt, and even if you don't get it, you're now on their radar. Just writing a convincing letter as to how you are diverse, and how your experience may help you be a good lawyer down the road.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 pm

hookem14 wrote:Unless the application singles out certain groups that the firm is looking for (e.g., racial minorities, LGBT) I'd say go for it and apply. Probably wouldn't hurt, and even if you don't get it, you're now on their radar. Just writing a convincing letter as to how you are diverse, and how your experience may help you be a good lawyer down the road.

I think there is potential for an honest, thoughtful and convincing argument for diversity here.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:04 am

Lincoln wrote:
hookem14 wrote:Unless the application singles out certain groups that the firm is looking for (e.g., racial minorities, LGBT) I'd say go for it and apply. Probably wouldn't hurt, and even if you don't get it, you're now on their radar. Just writing a convincing letter as to how you are diverse, and how your experience may help you be a good lawyer down the road.

I think there is potential for an honest, thoughtful and convincing argument for diversity here.

I agree there's an honest argument to be made, but unfortunately probably not what firms are looking for when the do their diversity hiring.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:09 am

Emma. wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

I agree there's an honest argument to be made, but unfortunately probably not what firms are looking for when the do their diversity hiring.

CR. Diversity for firms is defined by what is PC, not by what is actually diverse or underprivileged or disadvantaged.

Return to “Legal Employment”