Attachment Fail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wbrother

Attachment Fail

Postby wbrother » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Just sent 40+ emails to mid-sized firms in secondary market. Forgot to attach all materials. Not really seeking advice, just hoping to brighten the day by giving ya'll a reason to laugh. But if you have a helpful tip or two...

cinephile

Re: Attachment Fail

Postby cinephile » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm

At least you didn't send an email to firm A with a greeting to firm B.

There are worse things. And hopefully as long as they have your resume they might still read it and get back to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:05 pm

If it makes you feel any better this was my thread, I know how you feel

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=220630

Typo to pretty much every single firm I care about.

Joys of trying to do a 1 day all out blitz and then get back to final prep. I'm sure at least some of the firms will understand this I mean we're all human right? :D

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:25 pm

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding a possible summer clerkship opportunity at _______ LLP. Unfortunately, we do not hire summer clerks.

As an aside, I cannot emphasize enough how crucial it is for lawyers to pay attention to detail. Particularly in the job market, where there is sometimes very little to distinguish candidates' resumes, even one mistake will likely remove you from contention. In that regard, not attaching your resume to the inquiry email would normally be an automatic disqualification.

Best of luck."

Literally would've appreciated a "go fuck yourself, kid" better. It only hurts because I know he's right though. Luckily some responses have been more forgiving.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Ouch, that is harsh. Last year I fucked up my mail merge to Ohio firms. One of them replied like "uhhh, I think you got the wrong attachments." After freaking out for an hour or two, I was like "OOPS here's the right ones" and got an interview anyway. So I guess I'm saying suck it up and send them the attachments now because you literally cannot do worse.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Preemptively send the attachments? Do you think that would be better than waiting for responses requesting them?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:47 pm

wbrother wrote:Preemptively send the attachments? Do you think that would be better than waiting for responses requesting them?

Yeah. There's a 0% chance anyone interviews you without them. There's like a 3% chance someone interviews you if you send them to them.

Alternatively, just send them like the first e-mail never happened and hope no one notices that you are the same person. That might just work.

Liam

Postby Liam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:49 pm

wbrother wrote:Preemptively send the attachments? Do you think that would be better than waiting for responses requesting them?

I would not bank on them bothering to ask for attachments. If they're likely to give you that second shot, they probably won't hold it against you that you take the initiative; if they aren't likely, it's the only hope you have.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Just resend with the attachments like it never happened. What else can you do? It can only help.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Did some firm actually lecture you about this? Christ. Talk about unprofessional.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks guys! Resent w/attachments and got some nice responses already.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Did some firm actually lecture you about this? Christ. Talk about unprofessional.

Preach.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:50 pm

LOL at that guy sending back a dickface email like that. People who say shit like that are the first person to get indignant if someone actually held them to the same standard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:15 pm

wbrother wrote:"Thank you for your inquiry regarding a possible summer clerkship opportunity at _______ LLP. Unfortunately, we do not hire summer clerks.

As an aside, I cannot emphasize enough how crucial it is for lawyers to pay attention to detail. Particularly in the job market, where there is sometimes very little to distinguish candidates' resumes, even one mistake will likely remove you from contention. In that regard, not attaching your resume to the inquiry email would normally be an automatic disqualification.

Best of luck."

Literally would've appreciated a "go fuck yourself, kid" better. It only hurts because I know he's right though. Luckily some responses have been more forgiving.

is this real life???

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
wbrother wrote:"Thank you for your inquiry regarding a possible summer clerkship opportunity at _______ LLP. Unfortunately, we do not hire summer clerks.

Best of luck."

is this real life???

nah, it's just fantasy

Return to “Legal Employment”