Heard Back For 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard back from KL Gates Jumpstart Program?

I got contacted for an interview about 2 weeks ago but I declined it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Orrick NY ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn?

offer from the OC office; excited!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! Mind sharing any deets (school, grades, etc?)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:29 pm

What about GDC LA? Any news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thank you! details: t14 top 10% w/ strong ties

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thank you! details: t14 top 10% w/ strong ties

Through diversity, yeah?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Through diversity, yeah?

nope, non-diverse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Post-CB dings are usually snail mail, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Post-CB dings are usually snail mail, right?

I got one post-CB ding via email, but it was with a recruiter that I was on good terms with who initiated a short email exchange with me about how their 1L positions were almost non-extant; during the exchange, he encouraged me to get in touch with him again this summer about 2L positions, and even provided feedback about what the hiring committee thought I could have done better during the interview.

All of my other dings have been "silent dings," although everyone else I know has been receiving them via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I got one post-CB ding via email, but it was with a recruiter that I was on good terms with who initiated a short email exchange with me about how their 1L positions were almost non-extant; during the exchange, he encouraged me to get in touch with him again this summer about 2L positions, and even provided feedback about what the hiring committee thought I could have done better during the interview.

All of my other dings have been "silent dings," although everyone else I know has been receiving them via snail mail.

Thanks. Do you (or others) think it's a good idea to try to solicit feedback? Maybe with the recruiter or actual attorneys?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Through diversity, yeah?

nope, non-diverse

They told me that they were only through diversity.

Legitly upset at them. Not sure why they wouldn't just say, "Thanks, but no thanks." When did you interview with them?... Trying to find out how thoroughly I was lied to

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Through diversity, yeah?

nope, non-diverse

Legitly upset at them. Not sure why they wouldn't just say, "Thanks, but no thanks." When did you interview with them?... Trying to find out how thoroughly I was lied to

not sure what to say except sorry that happened, but I wouldn't take it too personally. It's likely that they changed their minds about the diversity position and then simply neglected to go back and reiterate their decition to everyone they previously communicated with

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:04 am

Mine was via e-mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Do you (or others) think it's a good idea to try to solicit feedback? Maybe with the recruiter or actual attorneys?

I received most of my dings (about 5) via e-mail. I only received one snail mail. I received a lot of silent dings (presumably).

what do you mean by feedback? like "how did I go wrong in my interview?" or "when do you plan on making decisions"? I would say feel free to reach out to an attorney if she/he interviewed you and gave you her/his business card and said "feel free to contact me." And keep it to appropriate questions (ask about when they're making decisions, don't ask why you got rejected). You should definitely feel free to reach out to the recruiting team to ask them about decisions, as long as you don't ask more than once and you've waited a sufficient amount of time since your callback. if you never had a callback, you should presume a silent ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:14 pm

cusenation wrote:CB to greensfelder, LewisRice, and HuschBlackwell. All STL offices.

Also a CB to GoulstonStorrs in Boston.

Have you heard back from Husch? Had a callback with the STL office two weeks ago, no word yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Through diversity, yeah?

nope, non-diverse

not sure what to say except sorry that happened, but I wouldn't take it too personally. It's likely that they changed their minds about the diversity position and then simply neglected to go back and reiterate their decition to everyone they previously communicated with

Don't feel bad OP who is legit upset - I doubt you were lied to, per se. When I was home (in OC) over break I reached out to Gibson Dunn and they said they only had a diversity program, although they'd love for me to come in and go to coffee with the attorneys in preparation for 2L OCI. Same at Latham. When it comes to 1L SA's, firms change their mind all the time. OP who got Gibson must have hit them at the right time. I ended up getting a 1L SA in SoCal with a firm that told me they weren't considering 1Ls back in December, and then reverted at the beginning of February.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Interviewed for Katten NYC through the LCLD program. Was told I'd hear back by the beginning of next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed for Katten NYC through the LCLD program. Was told I'd hear back by the beginning of next week.

When did you apply? And grades/school range?
I applied but never heard back... Wondering if my cover letter was subpar...

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed for Katten NYC through the LCLD program. Was told I'd hear back by the beginning of next week.

The reason for almost 99% of rejections is never that.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Got CBs from two firms that I'd sent a cover letter to that had multiple typos (and an offer from at least one of them). Obviously you should have as polished a cover letter as you can, but if it's within the normal range of "subpar", that's probably not the issue. It's just a tight market for 1Ls looking for SAs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Got CBs from two firms that I'd sent a cover letter to that had multiple typos (and an offer from at least one of them). Obviously you should have as polished a cover letter as you can, but if it's within the normal range of "subpar", that's probably not the issue. It's just a tight market for 1Ls looking for SAs.

And even if you get to the CB stage, at least in my experience, there's at least 4-5 others you are competing with. The 1L SA race sucks, bros. The firms have all the leverage, and if you strike out it's not necessarily because you are terrible.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

And even if you get to the CB stage, at least in my experience, there's at least 4-5 others you are competing with. The 1L SA race sucks, bros. The firms have all the leverage, and if you strike out it's not necessarily because you are terrible.

Does this extend to screeners as well? I haven't received any callbacks at this point from ANY 1L SA screeners (grades decent at a top school). I'd say I had about 8 screeners so far.
I do know about 2-3 people who've received callbacks at or near median (for non-diverse positions), which makes me wonder if my interviewing skills need to be polished.

Should I be worrying about my interview skills based on these results? Or are firms much more selective at the screener stage too?

Return to “Legal Employment”