Heard Back For 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at DCNG, got a call today from KL Gates Dallas recruiter who wants to set up a time for me to interview. All quiet otherwise...applied widely to Dallas firms

Also got this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Of course got a few Texas holiday reception invites at the exact same time.. Ugh I guess that means you're pretty much eliminated from contention at one firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:48 pm

Just got an invite to Fulbright & Jaworski's Holiday Reception, Dallas office. And they want me to forward fall grades when I get them...

Is attendance at these events required to have a shot at a 1L SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Of course got a few Texas holiday reception invites at the exact same time.. Ugh I guess that means you're pretty much eliminated from contention at one firm?

Can't you go to both of them? Split the time (1hour at each)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Of course got a few Texas holiday reception invites at the exact same time.. Ugh I guess that means you're pretty much eliminated from contention at one firm?

Can't you go to both of them? Split the time (1hour at each)?

Idk... would it be appropriate to duck out of one early? Similarly, appropriate to show up an hour into one?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I would pick one and stick to that ^^^

Any word from Locke Lord?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Re Chicago:

Dykema Gossett not hiring any 1Ls this year.
Jones Day will be hiring limited 1Ls but seems like they will be waiting for 1L grades to come out.

Still waiting on a bunch of others in Chicago and Milwaukee.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would pick one and stick to that ^^^

Email from the dallas office stating they are reviewing resumes and asking when I will be in town.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Email from the dallas office stating they are reviewing resumes and asking when I will be in town.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell people, did you get a confirmation email when you applied online?

I did not apply online. I sent in hard copies and no I did not recieve a confirmation. The first time I heard from them was when they called offering an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you apply to Locke Lord online or mail resume/CL to the recruiter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re Chicago:

Jones Day will be hiring limited 1Ls but seems like they will be waiting for 1L grades to come out.

What are you basing the Jones Day info on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re Chicago:

What are you basing the Jones Day info on?

Applied via email. Received a reply the next day thanking me for my interest and directed me to apply directly online for a 1L SA position. She also said that they take 1L grades under serious consideration and to send my first semester grades as soon as they are available.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:35 am

Buncha dings, all D.C. firms, some snail mail rejections (really)?

One snail mail ding from hiring partner at DC firm, although it included a letter offering me a guaranteed interview for 2L SA, and an information packet on the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:55 am

Any advice on a phone screener? One of the largest firms in the major market, V30 (is this a thing? V50 maybe? idk how people usually talk about these vault things seems silly to me)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:45 am

E-mail ding from Weil in Miami. "Excellent credentials, the 1L class is extremely small, keep us in mind next year, yada yada."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Interviews this week at a few smaller firms (think 50-100 attorneys) in a small secondary market for 1L summer work (they call them summer clerks instead of associates). My top choice has already said they'll want my grades and won't make hiring decisions until Feb/March. What's the protocol for if I get an offer after one of the firms that isn't my first choice? Unlikely but possible they'd hire without grades. Is it bad form to renege after I get the other offer, even if its a couple months later? If I remember right, NALP firms are supposed to give you 14 days, right?

Also, whats the protocol for writing samples? I didn't send one with my resume/cover letter and I don't have one prepared. Should I trim down a memo and have it just in case they ask for it? None of the recruiters mentioned it when we set up the interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviews this week at a few smaller firms (think 50-100 attorneys) in a small secondary market for 1L summer work (they call them summer clerks instead of associates). My top choice has already said they'll want my grades and won't make hiring decisions until Feb/March. What's the protocol for if I get an offer after one of the firms that isn't my first choice? Unlikely but possible they'd hire without grades. Is it bad form to renege after I get the other offer, even if its a couple months later? If I remember right, NALP firms are supposed to give you 14 days, right?

Also, whats the protocol for writing samples? I didn't send one with my resume/cover letter and I don't have one prepared. Should I trim down a memo and have it just in case they ask for it? None of the recruiters mentioned it when we set up the interviews.

How long was your memo? And I would answer the question of whether reneging is bad form if you didn't already know the answer.

Postby 2014 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviews this week at a few smaller firms (think 50-100 attorneys) in a small secondary market for 1L summer work (they call them summer clerks instead of associates). My top choice has already said they'll want my grades and won't make hiring decisions until Feb/March. What's the protocol for if I get an offer after one of the firms that isn't my first choice? Unlikely but possible they'd hire without grades. Is it bad form to renege after I get the other offer, even if its a couple months later? If I remember right, NALP firms are supposed to give you 14 days, right?

Yes it's bad form to renege, the best you can do is let your first choice know when your deadline is imminent and hope they get back to you. If they don't, it's a difficult decision but given how rare 1L SAs are, you would be well served to take the first one you get that pays market.

If they haven't mentioned it don't worry about it. If they ask, just offer to send it via email and do so ASAP. If you do trim down your memo, that is sufficient and it wouldn't be the worst use of time to have it ready, it just isn't dire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 pm

2014 wrote:

Yes it's bad form to renege, the best you can do is let your first choice know when your deadline is imminent and hope they get back to you. If they don't, it's a difficult decision but given how rare 1L SAs are, you would be well served to take the first one you get that pays market.

If they haven't mentioned it don't worry about it. If they ask, just offer to send it via email and do so ASAP. If you do trim down your memo, that is sufficient and it wouldn't be the worst use of time to have it ready, it just isn't dire.

I should clarify, I'd be working there over 1L, but the firms in this market don't do 2L summer hiring generally. So it's not like I'd be burning their hiring efforts too much, since they really are just hiring for the summer. I don't know what the market pay is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't prorated associate salary.

As I thought about it more, I don't think it really will matter that much since splitting summers is actually preferred in this market and I seriously doubt I'll get more than two offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:14 pm

so just to be clear: asians count as diverse candidates? can they really get diversity associateships, or is it that they "can" get them in the sense that pluto "can" overlap with neptune (i.e., once in a blue moon).

also, if the Dec 1 deadline was just 2 weeks ago, how are some of you reporting back rejections on Dec 4, Dec 6 etc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Neff

Postby Neff » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Slim pickin's out there

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:30 pm

I am friends with a recruiter at a biglaw firm with a large presence in Houston, and she told me that last year her firm received over 750 1L SA applications, and her recruiting friends at two other firms told her they had similar numbers. Since it seems like everyone applies to every biglaw firm listed on NALP in the city/state they want, I'd have to assume the numbers are comparable for most biglaw firms (at least in Texas). At the receptions I attended it was folks from all the Texas schools and then all the T14's and folks from random schools that want to come back to (or be in) Texas. I can't imagine how much money the firms spend on postage mailing the rejection letters...ITE, everybody's gunning for a very limited number of slots, but best of luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:50 pm

I was so excited to get a request to meet with a firm!

So excited that I got the dates mixed up for my family's Christmas trip and scheduled a meeting with a firm the day before I get back. I realized it a few minutes after emailing the recruiter and finalizing a time. I emailed again and got a new time scheduled, but I still feel bad. UGH

Return to “Legal Employment”