Heard Back For 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Dinged at Gibson Dunn SV. They said they've completed hiring for that office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged at Gibson Dunn SV. They said they've completed hiring for that office.

same

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if anyone can answer this, but I thought I'd ask. I got a callback for mid-size NYC firm, but have lowish grades (median or slightly below at CCN). Does the CB mean they might not be concerned about my grades, or might it just mean I have to impress more in the callback?

CB usually means you look fine on paper. Just have normal conversations during the CB to show that you're not socially deficient

Thanks!

just so i actually add something to the thread, the firm is Davis & Gilbert.

Congrats! I didn't interview with them at Spring OCI (bid distribution bizarre), but it seems like a great firm for a 1L summer. Do you know if they are taking more than one person? Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if anyone can answer this, but I thought I'd ask. I got a callback for mid-size NYC firm, but have lowish grades (median or slightly below at CCN). Does the CB mean they might not be concerned about my grades, or might it just mean I have to impress more in the callback?

CB usually means you look fine on paper. Just have normal conversations during the CB to show that you're not socially deficient

Thanks!

just so i actually add something to the thread, the firm is Davis & Gilbert.

Congrats! I didn't interview with them at Spring OCI (bid distribution bizarre), but it seems like a great firm for a 1L summer. Do you know if they are taking more than one person? Good luck!

Thanks! I think they usually have 4 SA's total, though I have no idea of their callback-offer ratio .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:56 am

CCN Top 5% w/WE and PhD (liberal arts-type field . . . useless I know but I didn't think it could hurt). Applied to secondary market. Grew up there and had a connection w/the firm and a great interview and still got dinged.

Any perspectives on why? I must be doing something wrong.

*Edited after re-reading because wow that did sound pretty terrible (Thanks kappycaft1).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CCN Top 5% w/WE and PhD (liberal arts-type field . . . useless I know but I didn't think it could hurt). Applied to secondary market. Grew up there and had a connection w/the firm and a great interview and still got dinged.

*Edited after re-reading because wow that did sound pretty terrible (Thanks kappycaft1).

With the few positions open for 1L SAs, it can really be anything. I was chitchatting with an attorney from a firm I wasn't interviewing for at OCI, and I asked her about the selection process, and she said that at her firm, the hiring committee will sift through the resumes before they even get back from OCI. Even if your ties seem genuine, the firms in secondary markets can be so skittish as to only hire applicants who have Secondary City in the address line on their resume if they have enough qualified candidates (which most firms do.)

If you feel like your interview went great, and you've been doing well at preparing for and executing interviews, then the only thing you can do is pick up the emotional pieces and move on. Don't dwell on the failures, especially since "striking out" for 1L SAs is much more common than not.

You've obviously done really well at an awesome school. Keep your head up, keep polishing your resume and making sure you're connecting with the interviewers, and you'll be on lock to get anything you want next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:22 pm

anyone hear from dc arent fox? its been a month

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from dc arent fox? its been a month

did you get anything verifying your app? Nothing here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

no. do they usually send something confirming your app ?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

hellojd wrote:Any news on Kirkland & Ellis, O'Melveny, or Holland & Knight? (NYC)

Any word on these?

No word from Arent Fox over here. It's really odd that they haven't at least started screeners? And aren't they only picking like 1 person?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

still waiting... How is DC so damn slow?! maybe it's the I-495 traffic and they're hand delivering their rejections

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

still waiting... How is DC so damn slow?! maybe it's the I-495 traffic and they're hand delivering their rejections

Speaking of DC, has anyone heard anything from Skadden? I saw that there may have been some dings a few weeks ago. Has there been any other news news since then, positive or negative?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:37 pm

hellojd wrote:
hellojd wrote:Any news on Kirkland & Ellis, O'Melveny, or Holland & Knight? (NYC)

Any word on these?

No word from Arent Fox over here. It's really odd that they haven't at least started screeners? And aren't they only picking like 1 person?

Got a rejection from Holland & Knight a month ago saying that all the positions for their summer program has been filled.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Shouldn't all the Arent Fox offices be in the same process of hiring? They send out a press release each year to announce the scholarship recipient and it seems odd that DC would not be on the same page. The other offices would be have to wait for DC to pick their recipient so they can send out the press release.

kingjoffrey

Postby kingjoffrey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CCN Top 5% w/WE and PhD (liberal arts-type field . . . useless I know but I didn't think it could hurt). Applied to secondary market. Grew up there and had a connection w/the firm and a great interview and still got dinged.

There may be some degree of "yield protection" going on. Firms know that its MUCH harder to get a 1L SA than a 2L SA. They also believe (correctly or incorrectly) that you've applied to a ton of firms, and are just trying to snag any 1L SA position, whether you're very interested in that firm or not. They are paying you 30k for the summer not because you will produce any quality work, but with the hope that you'll come back the next summer--it's an investment. With top 5% credentials at CCN, a secondary market firm will (and probably rightfully so) see you as a flight risk for "top flight" firms in major markets come OCI.

It's either that, or 1) someone more qualified applied (top 5% isn't top 1% . . .); or 2) you are a bad interviewer? Either way, you'll be more than fine at OCI if you keep your grades up.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:37 pm

[*]
kingjoffrey wrote:

There may be some degree of "yield protection" going on. Firms know that its MUCH harder to get a 1L SA than a 2L SA. They also believe (correctly or incorrectly) that you've applied to a ton of firms, and are just trying to snag any 1L SA position, whether you're very interested in that firm or not. They are paying you 30k for the summer not because you will produce any quality work, but with the hope that you'll come back the next summer--it's an investment. With top 5% credentials at CCN, a secondary market firm will (and probably rightfully so) see you as a flight risk for "top flight" firms in major markets come OCI.

It's either that, or 1) someone more qualified applied (top 5% isn't top 1% . . .); or 2) you are a bad interviewer? Either way, you'll be more than fine at OCI if you keep your grades up.

There's another explanation: among the large pool of qualified applicants, the firm simply liked someone else better. For 1L summer associate positions, that's pretty much it. No need to deeper and come up with contrived and convoluted explanations.

There's nothing the poster could have done other than be himself and put his best foot forward. But those factors don't guarantee success.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:02 pm

zweitbester wrote:[*]
kingjoffrey wrote:

There's another explanation: among the large pool of qualified applicants, the firm simply liked someone else better. For 1L summer associate positions, that's pretty much it. No need to deeper and come up with contrived and convoluted explanations.

There's nothing the poster could have done other than be himself and put his best foot forward. But those factors don't guarantee success.

Is the 1L sa process similar to 2L SA in the sense that if you meet a certain informal grade "cutoff", it's all about interviewing? Obv, the "cutoff" would be much higher than 2L SA but would they differentiate between a top 15% student and a top 5% if they liked the top 15% slightly better than top5%?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the 1L sa process similar to 2L SA in the sense that if you meet a certain informal grade "cutoff", it's all about interviewing? Obv, the "cutoff" would be much higher than 2L SA but would they differentiate between a top 15% student and a top 5% if they liked the top 15% slightly better than top5%?

At most firms, I would say once you meet the resume "cutoff" - including grades and whatever else they care about - then its going to be about personality and how much they think you might actually want to work there after you graduate. They want to try to snag top talent early, but only to the point that they think that you'll actually work at their firm after graduation.

There are some firms that care much more about grades, to the point where a top 5% would easily be taken over a top 15% even if they liked the latter a little better (like sullcrom or gibson dunn), but I think it really just comes down to which person the partners you interview with would rather have working for them - and thats the weighing of grades and personality varies between them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hellojd wrote:

Any word on these?

Got a rejection from Holland & Knight a month ago saying that all the positions for their summer program has been filled.

Not sure if you were referring to NYC, but I have heard they are still in the early stages of reviewing applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:55 pm

ding miles & Stockbridge

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hellojd wrote:

Any word on these?

Not sure if you were referring to NYC, but I have heard they are still in the early stages of reviewing applications.

Well I also got a HK NYC email saying they were done

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well I also got a HK NYC email saying they were done[/quote]

(I'm the anon user you quoted)
Very strange. I just received an e-mail today from them saying the opposite. Oh well! Yay for conflicting messages. What school range were you if you don't mind my asking? CCN here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well I also got a HK NYC email saying they were done

Very strange. I just received an e-mail today from them saying the opposite. Oh well! Yay for conflicting messages. What school range were you if you don't mind my asking? CCN here.

CCN as well. Dinged before grades.
Actually I just checked again and I realize I don't know for sure if NYC office sent the email. I applied to NYC and another market but I got a general message and assumed it was NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well I also got a HK NYC email saying they were done

CCN as well. Dinged before grades.
Actually I just checked again and I realize I don't know for sure if NYC office sent the email. I applied to NYC and another market but I got a general message and assumed it was NYC.

OP who said they were done a month ago. I just checked my email, and you're right - it doesn't say which office. I only applied to the NY HK office. T25 here. I guess they didn't like my school's ranking.

Edit: Clarified something
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”