Heard Back For 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Anonymous from just above. UT student. So far:

Ding:
Baker Hostetler Houston

Show us your grades:
V&E Houston
Fullbright Houston
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Grade request from Fulbright Dallas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Those with grade requests, can you say wha school range you're in?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from Baker Hostetler Houston. Their summer class is full, please try again as a 2L

lol wut. It's December 12th.


OCI dude, probs dont have room due to 2L's they hired

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those with grade requests, can you say wha school range you're in?

UT - grade requests for V&E, Fullbright, and AZA (all Houston offices)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:03 pm

UT. I just got an interview with Bracewell in Houston. Anyone else?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Has anyone heard from Baker Botts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UT. I just got an interview with Bracewell in Houston. Anyone else?


Congrats!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Don't get too excited now, but in my 1L section at UT last year I know of at least a dozen people (out of ~75) who got 1L SAs with the big Houston/Dallas/Austin firms (Bracewell, Fulbright, Locke, Baker Botts, and the like). And that's just people I know; I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number is more like 20 or so. My general sense is that 1L SAs are more plentiful in TX than elsewhere. However, the (vast?) majority of places do look at grades, so actual hiring does not happen until January or later.

But I would still strongly emphasize focusing on exams first and foremost. Don't be distracted now just because you got a call or e-mail a few weeks early.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't get too excited now, but in my 1L section at UT last year I know of at least a dozen people (out of ~75) who got 1L SAs with the big Houston/Dallas/Austin firms (Bracewell, Fulbright, Locke, Baker Botts, and the like). And that's just people I know; I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number is more like 20 or so. My general sense is that 1L SAs are more plentiful in TX than elsewhere. However, the (vast?) majority of places do look at grades, so actual hiring does not happen until January or later.

But I would still strongly emphasize focusing on exams first and foremost. Don't be distracted now just because you got a call or e-mail a few weeks early.


What about for T6? I know several people with offers there last year before grades

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't get too excited now, but in my 1L section at UT last year I know of at least a dozen people (out of ~75) who got 1L SAs with the big Houston/Dallas/Austin firms (Bracewell, Fulbright, Locke, Baker Botts, and the like). And that's just people I know; I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number is more like 20 or so. My general sense is that 1L SAs are more plentiful in TX than elsewhere. However, the (vast?) majority of places do look at grades, so actual hiring does not happen until January or later.

But I would still strongly emphasize focusing on exams first and foremost. Don't be distracted now just because you got a call or e-mail a few weeks early.



Buzzkill man.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't get too excited now, but in my 1L section at UT last year I know of at least a dozen people (out of ~75) who got 1L SAs with the big Houston/Dallas/Austin firms (Bracewell, Fulbright, Locke, Baker Botts, and the like). And that's just people I know; I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number is more like 20 or so. My general sense is that 1L SAs are more plentiful in TX than elsewhere. However, the (vast?) majority of places do look at grades, so actual hiring does not happen until January or later.

But I would still strongly emphasize focusing on exams first and foremost. Don't be distracted now just because you got a call or e-mail a few weeks early.


What about for T6? I know several people with offers there last year before grades


Yeah, for the higher-ranked schools I imagine it's quite possible they'd offer without grades.

A sizable portion of many TX firms' 2L classes consist of returning 1Ls.

Also, URM status helps.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:33 pm

I was told many firms wait until January to interview 1ls. I also heard many TX firms are taking more 2ls so 1ls are getting the shaft. That being said I am sure if ou go and interview and they really like you, they will offer before grades come out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't get too excited now, but in my 1L section at UT last year I know of at least a dozen people (out of ~75) who got 1L SAs with the big Houston/Dallas/Austin firms (Bracewell, Fulbright, Locke, Baker Botts, and the like). And that's just people I know; I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number is more like 20 or so. My general sense is that 1L SAs are more plentiful in TX than elsewhere. However, the (vast?) majority of places do look at grades, so actual hiring does not happen until January or later.

But I would still strongly emphasize focusing on exams first and foremost. Don't be distracted now just because you got a call or e-mail a few weeks early.


What about for T6? I know several people with offers there last year before grades


Yeah, for the higher-ranked schools I imagine it's quite possible they'd offer without grades.

A sizable portion of many TX firms' 2L classes consist of returning 1Ls.

Also, URM status helps.


How do they know URM status?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Has anyone heard from Locke Lord or Bracewell [besides the poster above me]?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't get too excited now, but in my 1L section at UT last year I know of at least a dozen people (out of ~75) who got 1L SAs with the big Houston/Dallas/Austin firms (Bracewell, Fulbright, Locke, Baker Botts, and the like). And that's just people I know; I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number is more like 20 or so. My general sense is that 1L SAs are more plentiful in TX than elsewhere. However, the (vast?) majority of places do look at grades, so actual hiring does not happen until January or later.

But I would still strongly emphasize focusing on exams first and foremost. Don't be distracted now just because you got a call or e-mail a few weeks early.


What about for T6? I know several people with offers there last year before grades


Yeah, for the higher-ranked schools I imagine it's quite possible they'd offer without grades.

A sizable portion of many TX firms' 2L classes consist of returning 1Ls.

Also, URM status helps.


How do they know URM status?


During interviews they look at you and make an educated guess.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those with grade requests, can you say wha school range you're in?

UT - grade requests for V&E, Fullbright, and AZA (all Houston offices)


Did you submit writing samples to these firms? When did they contact you?

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Neff » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:45 pm

.
Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I am from UT and have also heard from Bracewell in Houston. I have an interview next week.

Question: How do they decide who to intervierw from a school with no grades? I have no work expereience and have a worthless UG degree...so I am confused why I was chosen. Happy yes, but also confused.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 am

Neff wrote:URM status for (most) law firm recruiting purposes = African/African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, Hispanic persons of certain national origins, and women of all races. Anecdotally, I can attest (judging by my Linkedin contacts) that many 1L SAs at UT belonged to one of these groups.

Again, everything I've said thus far applies only to UT. Higher-ranked schools' mileages may differ.


What about LGBT?

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Neff » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:44 am

.
Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigtex29
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby bigtex29 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:15 am

Neff wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Neff wrote:URM status for (most) law firm recruiting purposes = African/African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, Hispanic persons of certain national origins, and women of all races. Anecdotally, I can attest (judging by my Linkedin contacts) that many 1L SAs at UT belonged to one of these groups.

Again, everything I've said thus far applies only to UT. Higher-ranked schools' mileages may differ.


What about LGBT?


Yes. Also, I left out the physically disabled.




Hey, I can be gay if it will help me get a job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:18 am

I am at a one of MVP and we had many people get 1L SAs last summer (myself included). Some of us got the offer before grades, others got the offers after they sent in their grades. Also, many of the firms (if not all) will set up interviews pre-grades with out of town top schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:23 am

1L at DCNG, got a call today from KL Gates Dallas recruiter who wants to set up a time for me to interview. All quiet otherwise...applied widely to Dallas firms

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:56 am

Bracewell people, did you get a confirmation email when you applied online?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.