Heard Back For 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Ding at Foley Chicago

Ding at Reed Smith Chicago

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm

I bid on the firms coming to my 1L OCI, is it worth doing anything else at this point? Or have I missed anything possible through mass mails? I was going to look through Symplicity/my school this weekend.

Top 10% at a T20 and would prefer the secondary market my LS is in fwiw

tyia.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Anybody heard anything from Paul Hastings Palo Alto or LA? Screener there last week and waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:46 am

Has anyone outside of TX who doesn't attend HYS heard from any of the top firms there?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone outside of TX who doesn't attend HYS heard from any of the top firms there?


I know someone at NYU/Penn/UVA with multiple offers in Houston (pre-grades)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 am

Any word from K&L Gates Dallas or Baker Botts Dallas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:40 am

Anybody hear back from SWM miami or bilzin sumberg?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from K&L Gates Dallas or Baker Botts Dallas?


FWIW, I have an interview with one of those firms, albeit not the Dallas office (sorry don't want to be more specific)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear back from SWM miami or bilzin sumberg?


I got a ding from Bilzin Sumberg quite a while back, either saying they were already full or that they weren't taking 1Ls, I don't remember which. I interviewed with SWM but got an offer from another firm before I heard back, and the only other person I know who interviewed with them accepted a PI position before he heard back. When I interviewed, they told me "not to be concerned if you don't hear back for 10 days or two weeks."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from K&L Gates Dallas or Baker Botts Dallas?


Interviewed with both, nothing yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from K&L Gates Dallas or Baker Botts Dallas?


Interviewed with both. Received offer from Baker Botts after grades nothing from K&L Gates yet. Know someone with offer from K&L Gates.

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone outside of TX who doesn't attend HYS heard from any of the top firms there?


Know others with offers in Houston from Baker Botts, Bracewell, and V&E. (pre-grades)

Everybody is lower T-14 with Texas ties before LS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Also know somebody who was offered and accepted at KL Gates Dallas. Apparently Locke Lord has began making offers too. Sounds like Locke wants to lock up its 1L summer class this next week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Weil NY CB


Is this for the diversity program? Before or after sending them your grades? Thanks!


I'm not the OP but interviewed with the diversity program (pre-grades) and was under the impression from HR that there aren't callbacks... but maybe I was mistaken?

OP here

not diverse, and after grades. it was my first interview but was flown out for a battery of interviews, so i guess call it what you want? was told there were not going to be further rounds though, which is probably what you mean.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Got an interview for a big firm at my home secondary. Nervous and don't really know what to expect, but super psyched.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview for a big firm at my home secondary. Nervous and don't really know what to expect, but super psyched.


Same! Pretty excited!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Weil NY CB


Is this for the diversity program? Before or after sending them your grades? Thanks!


I'm not the OP but interviewed with the diversity program (pre-grades) and was under the impression from HR that there aren't callbacks... but maybe I was mistaken?

OP here

not diverse, and after grades. it was my first interview but was flown out for a battery of interviews, so i guess call it what you want? was told there were not going to be further rounds though, which is probably what you mean.


Mind sharing what the experience was like? The kinds of questions they asked and the rough itinerary they set up for you (obviously without outing you)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also know somebody who was offered and accepted at KL Gates Dallas. Apparently Locke Lord has began making offers too. Sounds like Locke wants to lock up its 1L summer class this next week.


Dallas or Houston office? If you don't mind

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:23 am

Ding at Orrick SV

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:57 am

Ding at Cov SF

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 am

Anyone hear from Arent Fox? (diversity fellowship)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Arent Fox? (diversity fellowship)

Silence here

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am

any word on cooley?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Accepted a position at a v100 DC firm w/ a small-ish summer class. Stats: T10 school, straight A's 1L semester, Ivy UG, URM.

Kind of a douche-y question, and perhaps this is putting the cart before the horse, but I'm hoping someone can help:

I like the firm I accepted, but how wed am I to this firm next year (i.e., at OCI and beyond)? I figure that if I keep my grades up (I know...big if), I could be in the running for some of the top-tier firms (not interested in the prestige of those firms, per se, but rather interested in stability/room for advancement/exit options -- which I suppose often go hand-in-hand with "rank"). Will those firms not want to interview me b/c they'll expect that I'll go back to my 1L summer firm?

Should I have just taken a Gov/PI job instead? I'm fairly poor and the money was too good to pass up, but perhaps I made a mistake?

Also, maybe this is stupid, but I'd feel personally bad going to another firm after this one gave me a shot for a 1L gig. Anyone gone through this experience--it seems really awkward. Would appreciate any info/advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted a position at a v100 DC firm w/ a small-ish summer class. Stats: T10 school, straight A's 1L semester, Ivy UG, URM.

Kind of a douche-y question, and perhaps this is putting the cart before the horse, but I'm hoping someone can help:

I like the firm I accepted, but how wed am I to this firm next year (i.e., at OCI and beyond)? I figure that if I keep my grades up (I know...big if), I could be in the running for some of the top-tier firms (not interested in the prestige of those firms, per se, but rather interested in stability/room for advancement/exit options -- which I suppose often go hand-in-hand with "rank"). Will those firms not want to interview me b/c they'll expect that I'll go back to my 1L summer firm?

Should I have just taken a Gov/PI job instead? I'm fairly poor and the money was too good to pass up, but perhaps I made a mistake?

Also, maybe this is stupid, but I'd feel personally bad going to another firm after this one gave me a shot for a 1L gig. Anyone gone through this experience--it seems really awkward. Would appreciate any info/advice.

Can't speak from personal experience, but from what I gather from career services it's never a bad thing. From the sounds of it (URM/probably on the way to law review, UG preftige), I'd say you're going to be fine when it comes to the job hunt. Enjoy the pick of the litter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted a position at a v100 DC firm w/ a small-ish summer class. Stats: T10 school, straight A's 1L semester, Ivy UG, URM.

Kind of a douche-y question, and perhaps this is putting the cart before the horse, but I'm hoping someone can help:

I like the firm I accepted, but how wed am I to this firm next year (i.e., at OCI and beyond)? I figure that if I keep my grades up (I know...big if), I could be in the running for some of the top-tier firms (not interested in the prestige of those firms, per se, but rather interested in stability/room for advancement/exit options -- which I suppose often go hand-in-hand with "rank"). Will those firms not want to interview me b/c they'll expect that I'll go back to my 1L summer firm?

Should I have just taken a Gov/PI job instead? I'm fairly poor and the money was too good to pass up, but perhaps I made a mistake?

Also, maybe this is stupid, but I'd feel personally bad going to another firm after this one gave me a shot for a 1L gig. Anyone gone through this experience--it seems really awkward. Would appreciate any info/advice.



i was in the same shoes as you. midrange dc firm sa in areas i wasn't interested in. ended up doing very cool work unexpectedly with some interesting people (well, along with the shit work with the shit people).

you should be golden. the experience is second to none and so is the money. hell, you could be no offered and still get a v20 offer.

i did.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.