Heard Back For 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from WLRK without even asking for 1L grades

My pre law school credentials aren't that grade though so I can understand
Did you apply to a specific job, or cold apply? I talked to someone at the firm who said they were targeting 2-3 schools to fill like 2 spots.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Regulus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Guys. You're all anon. Just say the actual firm and the actual school. Saying stuff like "Dinged from a V75" isn't helpful.
Heh... I can see people wanting to stay anonymous about their actual school, but at least the tier would be useful (HYS, CCN, Lower T14, T1, T2, T3, T4, Indiana Tech).

Also, stating the firm name sounds reasonable if it is a ding, but I'm not sure it would be wise to state the actual firm name if it is an offer. :P
Totally fair, I agree with all that.

Mainly the specific dings are important for the community IMO. It's anon and there's very few jobs so not like someone will know who you are or think less of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Regulus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Guys. You're all anon. Just say the actual firm and the actual school. Saying stuff like "Dinged from a V75" isn't helpful.
Heh... I can see people wanting to stay anonymous about their actual school, but at least the tier would be useful (HYS, CCN, Lower T14, T1, T2, T3, T4, Indiana Tech).

Also, stating the firm name sounds reasonable if it is a ding, but I'm not sure it would be wise to state the actual firm name if it is an offer. :P

Mainly the specific dings are important for the community IMO. It's anon and there's very few jobs so not like someone will know who you are or think less of you.
How would it be unwise to anonymously say what firm you got the offer from? All the firm would know if they lurk on the site is that someone they offered is on TLS. Even if they knew specifically it was you, they wouldn't know your handle and would only know that you exist in some form on TLS. They gain little information and can't trace back anything else you've ever said here.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Regulus wrote:

How would it be unwise to anonymously say what firm you got the offer from? All the firm would know if they lurk on the site is that someone they offered is on TLS. Even if they knew specifically it was you, they wouldn't know your handle and would only know that you exist in some form on TLS. They gain little information and can't trace back anything else you've ever said here.
I think that's fair, but obviously people are overly paranoid and we should just accept it as such. I mean, you decided to make that point anonymously too after all :)

Anyway, at the very least specific dings are good so people have a decent opportunity to assess their own chances. That's why this thread exists, so we can share helpful information. Vague dings aren't really helpful because we already know the dings are coming through fast and furious. That was the major point I was trying to make, don't want to belabor it more than I already have.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Weil Boston said they likely won't be hiring 1Ls but would like to have me come out this fall since they aren't doing OCI at my school. T1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weil Boston said they likely won't be hiring 1Ls but would like to have me come out this fall since they aren't doing OCI at my school. T1.
Interview this week with Weil Silicon Valley. HYS.

Supposedly they are looking to hire a handful of both corporate and IP/Patent Litigation SAs, but I don't know how true that rumor is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Chicago V20 reached out asking when I'd have grades.

DCNG non-diversity, non-IP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Non-Diverse Applicant, just mass emailing. Focusing on mostly DC offices unless indicated.

Ding:
Wachtell (NY)
Stewart & Stewart (after writing sample request)
Arnold Porter
Gibson Dunn (Both DC and NY) (suggested diversity program)
Arent Fox (suggested diversity program)
Akin Gump (suggested pro-bono program)
Paul Weiss
Kirkland & Ellis

Ask for Grades:
Latham and Watkins
Sullivan and Cromwell
hogan lovells

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 pm

What's the appropriate time frame and method to follow up to an email interview request if they don't respond back?

I emailed them back accepting an interview offer but they haven't responded back. What's the best way to approach this? Their initial email was a bit delayed too so I'm not sure how long to wait

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Gibson Dunn in DC said they'll be back to me in a few weeks. mentioned specifics from my resume that they liked. Non-Diverse T1 not from East Coast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:40 pm

GUYS i have two grades back and noooo clue when i'll get my third as my Ks prof is notorious for being a chronic late submitter. Liiiiike it could be another two weeks.

Should I go ahead and apply to remaining diversity programs/begin mass mailing with what I have now?? I don't wanna lose out by waiting (a few firms have already wrapped up their 1L hiring game), but I don't know if HR folk will be miffed I'm submitting a transcript with only 2 grades (plus my legal writing grade).

What to do???

ETA: Anyone heard from MoFo New York?? Had an interview last week and lady said we'd hear back "early next week"...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ETA: Anyone heard from MoFo New York?? Had an interview last week and lady said we'd hear back "early next week"...
FWIW I was told a similar thing many weeks ago and never heard a peep from them, even after a follow up. Assume ding and that they just don't bother to tell you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 am

Accepted first half, Texas 1L SA over the phone, pre-grades coming out. Any chance the offer is contingent on grades? Not that it really matters, if my grades are that low, it isn't like keeping the other firms on the hook is going to help me any.

Are we sure Bracewell does second half summers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:31 am

Anyone heard from S&C, Cravath or Skadden?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted first half, Texas 1L SA over the phone, pre-grades coming out. Any chance the offer is contingent on grades? Not that it really matters, if my grades are that low, it isn't like keeping the other firms on the hook is going to help me any.

Yeah Bracewell is second half. I'm guessing you got AK for the first?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from S&C, Cravath or Skadden?
Applied December 1st. Complete radio silence since then. :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accepted first half, Texas 1L SA over the phone, pre-grades coming out. Any chance the offer is contingent on grades? Not that it really matters, if my grades are that low, it isn't like keeping the other firms on the hook is going to help me any.

Not AK - haven't heard a peep from them - if I didn't think 1L SAs we're going to be so few and far between, I'd be more specific. Are you waiting on AK?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not AK - haven't heard a peep from them - if I didn't think 1L SAs we're going to be so few and far between, I'd be more specific. Are you waiting on AK?

Definitely understandable. And I was waiting on AK until today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:41 pm

In-office screener invite from Skadden NY for next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
In-office screener invite from Skadden NY for next week.
Same!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Bracewell Dallas is first half only.

gcd0224

New

Post by gcd0224 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Anyone looking at V&E Dallas? Probably going to accept that offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GUYS i have two grades back and noooo clue when i'll get my third as my Ks prof is notorious for being a chronic late submitter. Liiiiike it could be another two weeks.

Should I go ahead and apply to remaining diversity programs/begin mass mailing with what I have now?? I don't wanna lose out by waiting (a few firms have already wrapped up their 1L hiring game), but I don't know if HR folk will be miffed I'm submitting a transcript with only 2 grades (plus my legal writing grade).

What to do???

If you're talking about Kraus, yea similar deal here; I sent out a few w/ just the other two classes. Will update in a few wks when he gets around to our exams.

Also worth noting that most firms taking 1Ls on the coasts (and there arent many) are waiting on fall grades to make decisions anyway, so theres no way they have wrapped up their hiring yet

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 pm

MoFo just finished all their interviews yesterday, so we'll probably hear early next week since there are 2 rounds to go before hires are made.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”