Heard Back For 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:07 pm

It specifically mentioned the FastTrack program, no word about a regular 1L SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a CB interview with Jones Day - Cleveland in early January. Jones Day has been very quick with their responses overall. I have some Ohio ties (went to college here).

Do you mind sharing what school/tier you're attending?
Did you submit grades with your application and send your stuff directly or use their service?
Any connections to the firm?

(1) CCN
(2) I used their service. I have no grades yet, nor will I for at least a few more weeks.
(3) No

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haynes Boone Dallas, invitation to apply for Fast Track program.

Did the invite specifically mention the Fast Track program or just reference an early interview/recruiting program?

Is there difference between the two? The email sounds like the fast track program is an early interview/recruiting process for next summer (2015).

The email said no SA program in the Dallas office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Fellas, I'm a pro at getting rejected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:39 pm

me 2 guys, although most of them have been "We are not hiring 1Ls" or "We only hire diverse 1Ls".

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:31 am

Hey folks,

Hope everyone has been enjoying their break amidst the storm of 1L SA applications, I know I've taken the last week just to chill the hell out, watch netflix, read some fiction, etc etc.

Question for y'all on the diversity thing. What about veterans? Does being a veteran count for diversity purposes?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:46 am

Bfalcon wrote:Hey folks,

Hope everyone has been enjoying their break amidst the storm of 1L SA applications, I know I've taken the last week just to chill the hell out, watch netflix, read some fiction, etc etc.

Question for y'all on the diversity thing. What about veterans? Does being a veteran count for diversity purposes?

That depends - are you a veteran who is also black or Latino?

If so, then yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Heard from a friend that many of the Dallas firms interviewed last week (Baker Botts, Locke Lord, Jackson Walker, KL Gates, etc).

Personally aiming for Houston, and wondering if anyone's heard of interviews for the firms there??

(talking non-diverse candidates here btw)

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

SBL wrote:

If so, then yes.

No, I'm not. So, in that case...?

Postby 20141023 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Just had a "screener" phone call with a smaller office of a large firm. I always end phone calls SO AWKWARDLY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Is all the action happening in the flyover country? Anyone seeing movement in major markets?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Invited to come in and meet people at office...what does this mean?

For me it meant a full interview. Basically a half-day callback interview marathon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is all the action happening in the flyover country? Anyone seeing movement in major markets?

does atlanta count?

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:30 am

I know for a fact that some law firms consider veteran status to equal diversity. I know that Hunton & Williams has hired veterans(white male) for its 1L diversity program in Richmond, VA.

I also find it a little humorous that most diversity programs have such a focus on race over all other factors. That being said, I also get why they do so.

crystalball

Postby crystalball » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is all the action happening in the flyover country? Anyone seeing movement in major markets?

does atlanta count?

I'd be interested in hearing about movement in Atlanta if you know of any

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 am

I completely forgot to respond to the Norton Rose Fulbright Dallas reception invitation. It was yesterday. Am I completely screwed in that firm? Is there any way to salvage this? (I wasn't in the area and probably would not have paid for the plane ticket). FML.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:38 am

I doubt that you are completely screwed. I went and it was just really a chance to talk to some of the attorneys , network a bit and get to know the general personality of the office. I do know that they have already started to interview folks, so it might not help you, but I doubt it will kill you either.

NavyOfficer23

Postby NavyOfficer23 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:59 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:
SBL wrote:

If so, then yes.

No, I'm not. So, in that case...?

No...

The diversity thing can be confusing because most jobs don't even list what they consider to be "diverse." Diversity positions with law firms aren't the same thing as a URM applying to law school because it includes Asian and other races that are not typically "underrepresented." Basically, if you're not white, you're most likely diverse. Also, some firms consider LGBT applicants "diverse," but others don't. Perhaps people with disabilities might be "diverse" too, but I'm not sure about that. Unfortunately, I don't think any sort of experiential factors count in terms of being "diverse" that would normally fall under the category of "non-traditional applicant" during law school admissions. This includes work experience, whether TFA or in the military.

Just to give an example, here is what one law firm used as their definition of a "diverse" candidate on their application:
Diversity wrote:Our definition of “diversity” is broad and past applicants have included those from diverse racial, ethnic and sexual orientation backgrounds, persons with disabilities, as well as those who may be the first person in their family to pursue higher education. While applicants need not disclose their financial circumstances, a demonstrated need for financial assistance may be taken into consideration.

However, other firms define it the "traditional" way:
Diversity wrote:Member of a diverse population that has historically been underrepresented in the legal profession, specifically African Americans, Hispanic/Latino(a), Pacific Islanders/Native Hawaiians, or Native Americans/Native Alaskans

I would be very hesitant to not apply for diversity positions if military service is your only diverse quality. Veterans only make up 7% of the population, and that number is only going down. Also, most employers LOVE to hire vets. I would just read the descriptions carefully. If they use language like "other diverse background" feel free to thrown your hat in the ring. If it says "student of color," maybe don't apply. Worst case scenario, you don't get the job. The answer is always "no" if you don't ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:02 pm

So if you've gotten a handful of "send us your grades" from firms that are already doing hiring (according to posters here), does that mean that the firm finds your resume/school/ties interesting enough to not reject you on the spot, but not interesting enough to consider you without excellent grades?

Are they interviewing people who have outstanding enough resumes/previous WE to merit consideration without grades? Or are there schools who have already released grades. If a firm has already started interviewing and you still don't have grades to send, are you screwed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are they interviewing people who have outstanding enough resumes/previous WE to merit consideration without grades? Or are there schools who have already released grades. If a firm has already started interviewing and you still don't have grades to send, are you screwed?

I have had several interviews in TX and I am a minority female at HYS. I do have WE, but I believe the school tier and the race/gender factors are the biggest reasons I have had interviews. I know other HYS kids have been interviewing at similar firms as well. But the firms I interviewed with told me they plan to continue interviewing folks through the end of this month so I imagine ppl who are yet to receive grades could still be competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:43 pm

I have two interviews set up with large Dallas firms. No grades sent. DCNG, non-diverse. They asked for grades upon me receiving them but were willing to set up the interview regardless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Has anyone interviewed or scheduled an interview with Norton Rose? Particularly if non-diverse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:03 pm

When do people who've interviewed for TX 1L SA's usually start hearing back?

AnotherYearOlder

Postby AnotherYearOlder » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if you've gotten a handful of "send us your grades" from firms that are already doing hiring (according to posters here), does that mean that the firm finds your resume/school/ties interesting enough to not reject you on the spot, but not interesting enough to consider you without excellent grades?

Are they interviewing people who have outstanding enough resumes/previous WE to merit consideration without grades? Or are there schools who have already released grades. If a firm has already started interviewing and you still don't have grades to send, are you screwed?

Generally, it's either that you have a borderline resume (between immediate call-back and wait-and-see), or that the firm is going to be doing OCI and they don't want to spend the $$ on bringing you in if they don't have to. Remember, it's awfully easy to send a rejection letter, so firms don't have any reason to string you along.

Sure, an outstanding resume could get you a pre-grade interview. Firms won't use up all of their summer associate slots until the vast majority of their target schools have released grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”