Heard Back For 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm

A lot of talk here about Texas 1L SA's.

What about DC/NY/CA/other major markets? Anyone heard much? Have an interview w/ a V100 firm, but haven't heard too much from other firms (either in the way of rejections, interviews, or otherwise).

Is response just slow b/c of the holidays and/or waiting for applicants to get additional grades?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of talk here about Texas 1L SA's.

What about DC/NY/CA/other major markets? Anyone heard much? Have an interview w/ a V100 firm, but haven't heard too much from other firms (either in the way of rejections, interviews, or otherwise).

Is response just slow b/c of the holidays and/or waiting for applicants to get additional grades?
Based on deadlines I've seen, TX just moves much faster. The vast majority of 1L SAs for the major markets haven't hit their application deadlines yet and they'll all want grades in hand before they give offers anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Just found out I have an interview on Friday with a secondary market firm. First interview, way nervous. Any advice on how to prep?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:16 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just found out I have an interview on Friday with a secondary market firm. First interview, way nervous. Any advice on how to prep?
Go to your career services office and schedule a mock interview ASAP. Make sure your suit, shirt, and tie are all clean and pressed. Shine your shoes. Print a couple extra copies of your resume, transcript, and writing sample, and put them all in your padfolio thing.
Although I've actually found my OCS to be very helpful, the advice they give about the actual content of the interviews has seemed misleading (in a good way); the firms have treated my interviews like conversations and only asked very softball questions, whereas OCS posed the kind of questions that law schools ask during admissions interviews.

This might be different at OCI, but off-campus interviews with firms (both initial screening interviews & callback interviews) seemed to be a lot less formal (in terms of the topics we discussed) than I was expecting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just found out I have an interview on Friday with a secondary market firm. First interview, way nervous. Any advice on how to prep?
Go to your career services office and schedule a mock interview ASAP. Make sure your suit, shirt, and tie are all clean and pressed. Shine your shoes. Print a couple extra copies of your resume, transcript, and writing sample, and put them all in your padfolio thing.
Although I've actually found my OCS to be very helpful, the advice they give about the actual content of the interviews has seemed misleading (in a good way); the firms have treated my interviews like conversations and only asked very softball questions, whereas OCS posed the kind of questions that law schools ask during admissions interviews.

This might be different at OCI, but off-campus interviews with firms (both initial screening interviews & callback interviews) seemed to be a lot less formal (in terms of the topics we discussed) than I was expecting.
+1 to this. I had interviews with a couple firms in the same secondary market, and it was much more conversational. At both firms I was told that at the point they invited someone in for an interview, it was much more about fit than anything else. I'm not sure if this is universal at all, but it was certainly my experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:32 am

OP here. Thanks for the advice. I feel better hearing that the 1L interviews are more informal.

I've been stressing about potential questions about what type of law I want to practice - after one semester of law school I don't think I can give a smart answer to the corporate vs. litigation question beyond "I'd like to explore both more..." I spent my semester focusing on grades rather than prepping for the job search, so now I'm stressing to think of smart questions to ask the firm. Is it better to ask fewer questions or filler questions (e.g. "What brought you here?")?

I haven't received my interview sched, but I know I'll be meeting with several people. Silly question, but it's okay to give the same answers to questions asked by different interviewers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the advice. I feel better hearing that the 1L interviews are more informal.

I've been stressing about potential questions about what type of law I want to practice - after one semester of law school I don't think I can give a smart answer to the corporate vs. litigation question beyond "I'd like to explore both more..." I spent my semester focusing on grades rather than prepping for the job search, so now I'm stressing to think of smart questions to ask the firm. Is it better to ask fewer questions or filler questions (e.g. "What brought you here?")?

I haven't received my interview sched, but I know I'll be meeting with several people. Silly question, but it's okay to give the same answers to questions asked by different interviewers?
My interviewers who actually asked that questioned immediately added an "it's okay if you have no idea, you just finished your first semester" to the end of it. They're just looking to keep the conversation going, I think. I found that I didn't have to really dream up questions. With the exception of one interviewer out of 12 (7 at one firm, 5 at another), there didn't really end up being any dead space where I was floundering around for something. Think of questions that you legitimately would like the answer to, and as long as they're not insane (e.g., how much vacation time do you give to SAs, is your sexual harassment policy strict or is there some room for creativity, etc.) that should be fine.

And I think that if they're honest answers, giving the same answer to the same question is almost certainly the right way to go, if the alternative is making shit up. If you can give a different spin on the same answer in an organic way, that's probably better.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Latham Houston sent me a ding the second week of December. (I've been out of town since then.) The letter says that "our summer program is limited and at the present time we have the maximum number of students that we can accommodate."

Did they really finish that early? Or maybe they're just not hiring 1Ls this year? Or is it just empty words to fill a rejection letter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:24 am

UT student here-

Invitation to interview with Baker Botts Houston on campus next week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:UT student here-

Did you have all your grades in before getting the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Anyone get callbacks from south Florida firms?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get callbacks from south Florida firms?
Yes; several of them have already started giving out offers (without waiting for grades).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Interview invitation from diversity program at V10 firm in NYC - no grades, WE, CCN. Was surprised to hear back so quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes; several of them have already started giving out offers (without waiting for grades).
Any specifics about the ones giving offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry, I don't want to out myself, but I can tell you that they are not diversity positions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Timeline for TX offers? Is Texas waiting for grades this year more so then previous years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry, I don't want to out myself, but I can tell you that they are not diversity positions.
I can confirm this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:32 pm

If you had to guess, would you say the 1L miami market is done for this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UT student here-

Did you have all your grades in before getting the interview?
No

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:27 pm

I've heard that in Tx firms often give offers to T14 students before grades. Any word on that yet?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you had to guess, would you say the 1L miami market is done for this year?
I know someone who did a Skype interview with Greenberg Traurig down there just this morning. I think they're probably close to done, though. Did you send your stuff to Stearns Weaver?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:41 pm

Any word on Chicago firms? I've gotten a couple dings and requests for grades when available. Anyone hear of people getting offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you had to guess, would you say the 1L miami market is done for this year?
I know someone who did a Skype interview with Greenberg Traurig down there just this morning. I think they're probably close to done, though. Did you send your stuff to Stearns Weaver?
Sent in my app before the break but no word back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”