Heard Back For 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Same Question about Ding Silences, any news on Gibson Dunn NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the ratio of firms that gives you ding emails/letters vs. ding silences?
Trying to measure when to throw the towel in and go for PI jobs for this summer...

BU/BC/Fordham/GW, ~top 5%.

Asian, applied to 4 or 5 diversity positions.
At many firms, you don't qualify as diverse. You might at a few but I wouldn't bank on this if I were you.

Non-diverse candidate here, I did not receive ding notifications from positions I applied to that turned out to be diversity gigs, whereas I usually did receive some sort of notification of either 1) not taking 1L's or 2) summer class already filled from firms without such requirements, hidden or otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the ratio of firms that gives you ding emails/letters vs. ding silences?
Trying to measure when to throw the towel in and go for PI jobs for this summer...

At many firms, you don't qualify as diverse. You might at a few but I wouldn't bank on this if I were you.

Non-diverse candidate here, I did not receive ding notifications from positions I applied to that turned out to be diversity gigs, whereas I usually did receive some sort of notification of either 1) not taking 1L's or 2) summer class already filled from firms without such requirements, hidden or otherwise.
if youre in boston, you will qualify as diverse because boston has such a homogenous legal market and so few URM applicants unfortunately. i received a ding from Boston-Cooley. The other Boston firms with diversity SA are still interviewing. I havent received any dings from any NY firms i applied to though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Please. Asian Americans are most DEFINITELY considered diverse. Notwithstanding, how much of an advantage that will give you may vary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

After speaking with many recruiters, they said a lot of diversity positions include Asians (don't ask me how because i heard asians are overrepresented in the legal community). It seems a majority of firms consider it diverse, so we'll see.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

if youre in boston, you will qualify as diverse because boston has such a homogenous legal market and so few URM applicants unfortunately. i received a ding from Boston-Cooley. The other Boston firms with diversity SA are still interviewing. I havent received any dings from any NY firms i applied to though
Thank you. I'm looking New England / NYC, so this was helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Please. Asian Americans are most DEFINITELY considered diverse. Notwithstanding, how much of an advantage that will give you may vary.
Exactly.

Law firms don't really care whether you are URM or ORM. They only care that you are M, and that they can count you as diverse when they advertise how diverse they are. Maybe they care if their clients really care and want URMs (though I suspect most clients only care about overall "diversity"), but I doubt this happens all that much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

After speaking with many recruiters, they said a lot of diversity positions include Asians (don't ask me how because i heard asians are overrepresented in the legal community). It seems a majority of firms consider it diverse, so we'll see.
Asians arent overrepresented. White males are overrepresented. There are more asians than other minority groups BUT not necessarily in big law firms

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Please. Asian Americans are most DEFINITELY considered diverse. Notwithstanding, how much of an advantage that will give you may vary.
Exactly.

Law firms don't really care whether you are URM or ORM. They only care that you are M, and that they can count you as diverse when they advertise how diverse they are. Maybe they care if their clients really care and want URMs (though I suspect most clients only care about overall "diversity"), but I doubt this happens all that much.
+1.
Source: Asian here who has received diversity offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:36 pm

anyone been rejected by V&E post callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone been rejected by V&E post callback?
Also curious about this. Nothing but silence here.

kingjoffrey

New

Post by kingjoffrey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Which V&E office are you specifically asking about? I think they moved pretty quickly in Texas (and elsewhere).
Last edited by kingjoffrey on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 am

Anyone hear from B&G in TX?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Anyone hear from SWM in Miami?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Dinged at Locke Lord Dallas via letter. Probably because of grades, I think they have a 3.3 cutoff

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Balch & Bingham Birmingham CB

UVA/Duke/Vandy ~Top 15%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from SWM in Miami?
Never heard anything. Complete radio silence. I had to give another firm an answer a while back, and I accepted their offer, but I never heard from SW either way. Very odd if you ask me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Never heard anything. Complete radio silence. I had to give another firm an answer a while back, and I accepted their offer, but I never heard from SW either way. Very odd if you ask me.
Same here. just got an offer and have one week to respond but have heard absolutely nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:24 pm

I asked for networking coffee to the legal recruiter that I applied for 1L SA for. He came back asking to meet inside the firm itself, my application is still pending.

Any tips on conduct? I'd think i'd absolutely treat this like a regular networking coffee (asking the right Qs re the field, etc.) instead of tailoring it like an interview, correct?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Asians arent overrepresented. White males are overrepresented. There are more asians than other minority groups BUT not necessarily in big law firms
FWIW, Asian friend of mine got a callback for a Diversity position at a V75 firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Shook, Hardy Bacon called and asked to schedule a time for a phone interview

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Not sure if anyone can answer this, but I thought I'd ask. I got a callback for mid-size NYC firm, but have lowish grades (median or slightly below at CCN). Does the CB mean they might not be concerned about my grades, or might it just mean I have to impress more in the callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if anyone can answer this, but I thought I'd ask. I got a callback for mid-size NYC firm, but have lowish grades (median or slightly below at CCN). Does the CB mean they might not be concerned about my grades, or might it just mean I have to impress more in the callback?
CB usually means you look fine on paper. Just have normal conversations during the CB to show that you're not socially deficient

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if anyone can answer this, but I thought I'd ask. I got a callback for mid-size NYC firm, but have lowish grades (median or slightly below at CCN). Does the CB mean they might not be concerned about my grades, or might it just mean I have to impress more in the callback?
CB usually means you look fine on paper. Just have normal conversations during the CB to show that you're not socially deficient
Thanks!

just so i actually add something to the thread, the firm is Davis & Gilbert.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same here. just got an offer and have one week to respond but have heard absolutely nothing.
I accepted an offer from another firm in early January, and let SWM know. They didn't respond to me, either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”