Heard Back For 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 am

This thread seemed beneficial last year so I thought I'd start it again. Updates on what firms you've heard back from, grade requests, writing sample requests, interviews, etc.

Mostly applied to secondary markets myself, and hoping to get movement before finals are over.

Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm

lol are we including foreign firms? Or only U.S.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:55 pm

With some anecdotal evidence from last year, I do not think a single 1L from my school heard back about interviews before finals were over.

The sort of responses I expected you'd get would be something like, "We appreciate your interest in our firm. Please follow up with us once you have your fall grades."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Got a handful of firms (that I found take 1Ls on NALP) that already responded that they are only looking for minorities. Secondary markets

Otherwise radio silence

POTUS2044

New

Post by POTUS2044 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:10 pm

In. Will contribute.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Ding from Fish Richardson. Not hiring 1Ls in Texas unless it's through the Diversity Program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a handful of firms (that I found take 1Ls on NALP) that already responded that they are only looking for minorities. Secondary markets

Otherwise radio silence
minorities as in the sense URM's or will non URM minorites count? Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Choate in Boston hiring via diversity program
Nixon Peabody hiring 1L's in San Fran, Rochester, Chicago, D.C., and NYC

NYC office of Dentons not hiring 1L's

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a handful of firms (that I found take 1Ls on NALP) that already responded that they are only looking for minorities. Secondary markets

Otherwise radio silence
minorities as in the sense URM's or will non URM minorites count? Thank you!
Sorry I guess I should have quoted they are only accepting application from "diverse applicants." I don't think it's legal to say you are only hiring minorities.

BUT, if you mean you're Asian, while you might not be as "diverse" as someone black, you are a minority and should definitely apply. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Asians are under-represented in law firms..or was that only at the partner level? Regardless nothing to lose

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Asians count under the diversity umbrella for firms. Maybe it could depend on the city, but from what i've heard/seen, it looks like Asians are contenders for 1L diversity positions

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Ding from Skadden Houston. They said they're not hiring 1Ls for that office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 pm

kykiske wrote:With some anecdotal evidence from last year, I do not think a single 1L from my school heard back about interviews before finals were over.

The sort of responses I expected you'd get would be something like, "We appreciate your interest in our firm. Please follow up with us once you have your fall grades."
Last year I was able to schedule a phone screening interview on the morning of my first exam, around Dec 10 or 11.

dj_roomba

New

Post by dj_roomba » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kykiske wrote:With some anecdotal evidence from last year, I do not think a single 1L from my school heard back about interviews before finals were over.

Last year I was able to schedule a phone screening interview on the morning of my first exam, around Dec 10 or 11.
I don't even know if I want to apply before finals. Even if I DO get an interview, I don't want to be stressing out over that on top of finals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:01 am

dj_roomba wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't even know if I want to apply before finals. Even if I DO get an interview, I don't want to be stressing out over that on top of finals.
Applying really early is vital. Or so 2Ls and 3Ls have told me. It definitely can't hurt. Make some time and get it done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dj_roomba wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Applying really early is vital. Or so 2Ls and 3Ls have told me. It definitely can't hurt. Make some time and get it done.
It's not more vital than 1L grades. No OCI recruiter has ever said, "Sorry, can't hire you because you didn't do a 1L SA." But every OCI recruiter will say, "I can't hire you because your 1L grades were shit."

Make time only if you can afford it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Ding from Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Send Grades:
Two so far - not posting for anonymity

Dings (for reasons varying from no technical/science degree and no 1L program to just straight up you're not good enough):
Gunderson Dettmer (Boston)
Nixon Peabody (Boston)
Nutter McClennen (Boston)
Ogletree Deakins (Boston)
Weil (Boston)
Bryan Cave (Chicago)
Butler Rubin (Chicago)
Greenberg Traurig (Chicago)
Jenner & Block (Chicago)
Marshall Gerstein (Chicago)
McGuire Woods (Chicago)
Morgan Lewis (Chicago)
Arnold & Porter (DC)
Bryan Cave (DC)
Cadwalader (DC)
Covington (DC)
Dickstein Shapiro (DC)
Drinker Biddle (DC)
Gibson Dunn (DC)
Haynes and Boone (DC)
Kirkland & Ellis (DC)
Rothwell Figg (DC)
Shook Hardy Bacon (DC)
Sterne Kessler (DC)
Troutman Sanders (DC)
Weil (DC)
Allen & Overy (NY)
Alston & Bird (NY)
Bingham McCutchen (NY)
Dickstein Shapiro (NY)
Dorsey & Whitney (NY)
Herbert Smith Freehills (NY)
Hunton & Williams (NY)
Kelley Drye (NY)
Kramer Levin (NY)
Linklaters (NY)
Skadden (NY)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Everyone that sent out emails on Dec 1 - when are you guys planning on following up? Not until you get your grades in January?
(with the ones that you don't hear anything from)

POTUS2044

New

Post by POTUS2044 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Send Grades:

Dings (for reasons varying from no technical/science degree and no 1L program to just straight up you're not good enough):

Any chance you could post/PM which ones were because of no tech degree? Will love youuu!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Invited to come in and meet people at office...what does this mean?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:26 am

POTUS2044 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Send Grades:

Any chance you could post/PM which ones were because of no tech degree? Will love youuu!
I honestly don't remember exactly which and I'm a little bit too lazy to delve through 30+ emails. All I can say is that they were IP-only firms that I applied to as a "hail-mary" because I'm pat-bar eligible even though I don't have the technical/science degree. I was hoping the eligibility would be enough but for at least some firms that isn't the case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Guys, what's the general recommendation for minor typos? I did some of my essays for diversity 1L positions in a hurry, and I've noticed a punctuation typo in one of them. Should I try to send an updated version or leave it alone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys, what's the general recommendation for minor typos? I did some of my essays for diversity 1L positions in a hurry, and I've noticed a punctuation typo in one of them. Should I try to send an updated version or leave it alone?
Depends on typo/circumstances. I would correct it if you can avoid calling attention to it. If it is something they probably wouldn't notice in the first place I probably wouldn't. If it jumps off the page at you, then you really have nothing to lose by trying to sneak them another copy of it. I did it on a couple cover letters and submitted them just as "Updated Application Materials" etc...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Damn, I guess it's not unexpected, but it sucks to be getting dings from all these places so quickly.

Even some PI places have already filled up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Damn, I guess it's not unexpected, but it sucks to be getting dings from all these places so quickly.

Even some PI places have already filled up.
2L here. You've probably heard this already, but it's definitely true: don't worry about your 1L employment as long as you get some form of legal experience. Plenty of people with "non-prestigious" 1L internships do fine at OCI, and plenty of people with 1L SAs strike out. Yes, a 1L SA can be sweet for any number of reasons, but do not freak out if you don't get one, and no matter what don't let it affect your 1L exams

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”