Heard Back For 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: Heard Back For 1L SA Position

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 am

Should I be worrying about my interview skills based on these results? Or are firms much more selective at the screener stage too?
Both. Mostly because you should never assume your interview skills are good even if they are, and you should always be working at them. You only really get one chance at this (OCI), so you better do it right the first time and make sure you're prepared for that first time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does this extend to screeners as well? I haven't received any callbacks at this point from ANY 1L SA screeners (grades decent at a top school). I'd say I had about 8 screeners so far.
I do know about 2-3 people who've received callbacks at or near median (for non-diverse positions), which makes me wonder if my interviewing skills need to be polished.

Should I be worrying about my interview skills based on these results? Or are firms much more selective at the screener stage too?
I got exactly 0 callbacks after doing several screening interviews at my school's winter OCI this year. That seemed to be a pretty big waste of time looking back on it, but I guess it would've been crazy not to take advantage of free screening interviews.

However, I received a CB at every firm that I did a screening interview with outside of winter OCI. This makes sense, though - there is a clear difference between firms picking an applicant to reach out to versus firms obligatorily interviewing a ton of people at an OCI-like setting.

Anyway, don't feel bad. Your chances of getting selected to go from screener to CB are much lower than CB to offer, so yes, firms are very selective at that stage too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Has anyone heard back from Young Conaway in Wilmington?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Fish ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Haynes and Boone fastrack offer. For those of you who also have the offer, do the dates conflict with a current SA position, and what will you do about it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from Young Conaway in Wilmington?
I interviewed on campus in February. Received a rejection letter a couple weeks ago with an invitation for a pre-OCI call-back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Anyone get a CB for Akin Gump's PBS program in DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get a CB for Akin Gump's PBS program in DC?

Or for NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Or for NY?
Got rejected on friday. Heard of one call back two weeks ago. CLS urm female

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

americanman

New

Post by americanman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I interviewed on campus in February. Received a rejection letter a couple weeks ago with an invitation for a pre-OCI call-back.
Last edited by americanman on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed for Katten NYC through the LCLD program. Was told I'd hear back by the beginning of next week.
When did you apply? And grades/school range?
I applied but never heard back... Wondering if my cover letter was subpar...
I applied maybe at the beginning of February? Roughly median from lower half of the T14. One thing I can say is that I know that one of my interviewers had my cover letter and seemed to have read it. It almost certainly doesn't make a difference but I know it was at least in front of him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm

americanman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Had a CB there two weeks ago so was wondering if anyone had gotten an offer yet or heard of any.

Had a cb there and got rejected a couple weeks later. They don't make full time offers to 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Or for NY?
They're making final decisions in the next week or so for DC. A very good friend told me all finalists have been selected and have finished their last round (3rd) of interviews.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

americanman

New

Post by americanman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
americanman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Had a CB there two weeks ago so was wondering if anyone had gotten an offer yet or heard of any.

Had a cb there and got rejected a couple weeks later. They don't make full time offers to 1Ls.
Then why do the callbacks?
Last edited by americanman on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:15 pm

americanman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
americanman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Then why do the callbacks? Thats frustrating, it was a beautiful firm.
I was unaware of this and interviewed there as well, but he means they don't make full-time return offers after your 1L summer

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Regulus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was unaware of this and interviewed there as well, but he means they don't make full-time return offers after your 1L summer
Are there any firms that make a full-time return offer after your 1L summer? My impression was that (at best) they just offer you to come back for your 2L summer at the end of your 1L summer.

The closest thing I can think of is something like Skadden's 1L Scholars Program; simply being accepted into this program automatically guarantees you an offer there for your 2L summer if you complete the 1L summer program. However, even this isn't a guaranteed offer after graduation.
I'm pretty sure I heard Weil gives you an offer to come back full time after 1L summer contingent upon you spending a few weeks with the firm 2L summer. I heard Skadden is pretty much the same way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Anyone hear from DLA Piper in Silicon Valley?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Regulus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was unaware of this and interviewed there as well, but he means they don't make full-time return offers after your 1L summer
Are there any firms that make a full-time return offer after your 1L summer? My impression was that (at best) they just offer you to come back for your 2L summer at the end of your 1L summer.

The closest thing I can think of is something like Skadden's 1L Scholars Program; simply being accepted into this program automatically guarantees you an offer there for your 2L summer if you complete the 1L summer program. However, even this isn't a guaranteed offer after graduation.
I'm pretty sure I heard Weil gives you an offer to come back full time after 1L summer contingent upon you spending a few weeks with the firm 2L summer. I heard Skadden is pretty much the same way.
The Akin Gump PBS Program guarantees 2L summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:25 pm

I have accepted an SA position for the summer already. I'm wondering if I should cancel two callbacks I scheduled for spring break next week. On the one hand, I want to network with these attorneys for 2L OCI. On the other hand, I don't want to waste their time. What is the common practice here?

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted an SA position for the summer already. I'm wondering if I should cancel two callbacks I scheduled for spring break next week. On the one hand, I want to network with these attorneys for 2L OCI. On the other hand, I don't want to waste their time. What is the common practice here?
You cancel. You never interview for a job you have no intention of taking. It won't help you by "networking" at all. If anything, if they find out they paid for you to come do a CB when you already accepted a job, they will be pissed and don't be surprised if you don't get one during 2L OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:20 pm

kingjones59 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted an SA position for the summer already. I'm wondering if I should cancel two callbacks I scheduled for spring break next week. On the one hand, I want to network with these attorneys for 2L OCI. On the other hand, I don't want to waste their time. What is the common practice here?
You cancel. You never interview for a job you have no intention of taking. It won't help you by "networking" at all. If anything, if they find out they paid for you to come do a CB when you already accepted a job, they will be pissed and don't be surprised if you don't get one during 2L OCI.
Thank you for making sense. I canceled both. Hope it somehow helps someone here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Anyone heard back from Perkins Coie DC? I had a CB interview 3 weeks go. I was told I'd hear back within 2 weeks. Sent a non-pushy e-mail restating my interest just in case they forgot. Think I just go silently dinged?

My theory is that silent dings are given when the firm has already chosen a candidate, but are just waiting to see if they will accept the position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:50 pm

BUMP

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”