Too late to apply to 1L firm jobs in mid-December?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
karina

Too late to apply to 1L firm jobs in mid-December?

Postby karina » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 pm

1L here. My finals don't end until mid-December, so I thought I would apply to all the 1L SA positions at law firms sometime after that. Would that be too late? I see that most of the firms have early January as the deadline, but I was wondering if the whole process is on a rolling basis.

Thanks a lot!

tonidee

Re: Too late to apply to 1L firm jobs in mid-December?

Postby tonidee » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Firms don't hire 1L positions on a rolling basis. The expectation is that you apply after finals. The process moves quickly. I received a few 1L offers and secure my position in early February. You also only have an open offer for 14 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:18 pm

it likely won't make a difference. there are many factors that affect your chances of getting a 1L firm offer (e.g., school, ties, what firms you're targeting, competition, the firm's needs, random shit etc). importantly, you should note that it's incredibly tough to get one in the first place, in the grand scheme of things.

it is not that firms hire on a rolling basis but if the "right" candidate (right, in the firm's opinion) comes along, they might just decide to end their search.

your search should almost always come second to your studies though. the middle of December is perfectly fine.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:13 am

If you are competitive for a 1L job, you should be fine waiting until after finals.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:14 am

L’Étranger wrote:If you are competitive for a 1L job, you should be fine waiting until after finals.

This.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:14 am

karina wrote:1L here. My finals don't end until mid-December, so I thought I would apply to all the 1L SA positions at law firms sometime after that. Would that be too late? I see that most of the firms have early January as the deadline, but I was wondering if the whole process is on a rolling basis.

Thanks a lot!

No, not at all. The December 1st date is the very beginning to when you apply. I got a 1L SA and I didn't even apply until January. A lot of firms wanted to see my grades before making any decision.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:36 am

karina wrote:1L here. My finals don't end until mid-December, so I thought I would apply to all the 1L SA positions at law firms sometime after that. Would that be too late? I see that most of the firms have early January as the deadline, but I was wondering if the whole process is on a rolling basis.

Thanks a lot!

Almost all the firms I looked at in Texas, New York, and Atlanta had deadlines of January or even later since a lot want grades first. However, one random Texas firm I think did want applications in by December 15th but I think that was the only one I saw that was that early.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:28 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Almost all the firms I looked at in Texas, New York, and Atlanta had deadlines of January or even later since a lot want grades first. However, one random Texas firm I think did want applications in by December 15th but I think that was the only one I saw that was that early.

was that V&E?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 am

I used my winter break to work on 1L applications, and submitted prior to getting my first semester grades. The firms will ask you to send your grades as you receive them. For the firm I went to for 1L summer, I was the 17th candidate they interviewed, and received my offer the same day. The hiring chair showed me the binders full of applications for one spot. If you have ties to the area or firm, make sure you put it in your cover letter. If they like you, based on your interview, they you will get an offer sooner than later.

It is very difficult to get a 1L spot, but you are in a great position for 2L recruiting if you are able to effectively talk about your 1L experience and receive an offer to return.

Return to “Legal Employment”