Correct typo sent to every single recruiter today?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I send email correcting this typo or let it ride?

Correct it
No votes
Let it ride
100%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Correct typo sent to every single recruiter today?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Typo in like 30 cover letters blehhhhhh

Say for instance the typo was:
"...I am applying for this position, please see the the attached cover letter..."

I don't see any way to correct it without drawing attention to it, chances they would miss it/forgive it?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Do recruiters toss apps themselves, or pass them all along?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's pointless to worry, but I sent a kinda shitty typo in about 30 mass mails today. It was in the "pre-cover letter," i.e. the 1 liner that directs the recruiter to the real cover letter.

Any chance the recruiter just prints out all the attachments with the real cover letter and this glaring obvious on every single one of my mass mails :( :( :( :(

(I pretty much copy pasted this 1 liner, and while I thought it was perfect at first, I didn't change it at all afterwards)

uggghhhh

At the firms I was at they did. You think they pass on every single app to the hiring partner?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the firms I was at they did. You think they pass on every single app to the hiring partner?

eh, idk. momentary freakout when I discovered it. was hoping someone would lie to me I guess lol. Can you please remove your quoted text?

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:11 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the firms I was at they did. You think they pass on every single app to the hiring partner?

eh, idk. momentary freakout when I discovered it. was hoping someone would lie to me I guess lol. Can you please remove your quoted text?

Because you weren't anonymous enough before?

This thread is more useful with the quoted text intact.

I guess, but there is quite a bit of identifiable detail there... compared to (zero) benefit... a heck of a lot of people read these forums that don't post

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Because you weren't anonymous enough before?

This thread is more useful with the quoted text intact.

I guess, but there is quite a bit of identifiable detail there... compared to (zero) benefit... a heck of a lot of people read these forums that don't post

Yes, a ton of identifiable information. You are without a doubt the only person who emailed any firm recruiters today with a typo in the line directing them to your cover letter.

But yeah, that sucks. I think you could minimize losses if you resend the applications with the title "Corrected: Application for Summer Associate Position" or whatever. It may draw attention to your previous mistake, but chances are that a typo will just get your app instantly sent to the rejection pile or deleted. A corrected one may get you looked at, especially if the recruiters don't feel like going back and double checking your original email for typos.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:34 pm

badaboom61 wrote:But yeah, that sucks. I think you could minimize losses if you resend the applications with the title "Corrected: Application for Summer Associate Position" or whatever. It may draw attention to your previous mistake, but chances are that a typo will just get your app instantly sent to the rejection pile or deleted. A corrected one may get you looked at, especially if the recruiters don't feel like going back and double checking your original email for typos.

How should you phrase a followup? They almost assuredly haven't read any of them so maybe I would get lucky... But honestly it's the kind of thing the human brain might pass right over. Should I really point it out like, "Please ignore the typo, here is my new one liner..."

Say for instance the typo was:
"...I am applying for this internship, please see the the attached cover letter..."

badaboom61

Re: Correct typo sent to every single recruiter today?

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I wouldn't even acknowledge the typo. Just send a new email with a subject that says something like "Corrected: Application" and then put the correct sentence in the body.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:20 pm

A lot of votes here for letting the typo in OP ride... Yet only poster says opposite, hope the voters aren't trolling me...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of votes here for letting the typo in OP ride... Yet only poster says opposite, hope the voters aren't trolling me...

you're got paranoia i think dude. just relaaaaaax. snap out of it. no one's tossing it into the rejection pile for that typo. most people won't notice it, and the others won't care. as long as the actual cover letter doesn't have typos, you have nothing to worry about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A lot of votes here for letting the typo in OP ride... Yet only poster says opposite, hope the voters aren't trolling me...

you're got paranoia i think dude. just relaaaaaax. snap out of it. no one's tossing it into the rejection pile for that typo. most people won't notice it, and the others won't care. as long as the actual cover letter doesn't have typos, you have nothing to worry about.

Was my original thinking... i guess i'll just wait and see. i need a drink. :| :|

thanks...

Liam

Postby Liam » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm

I'll speak up for "just let it ride."

If the subject of the e-mail is clear, it's highly likely the recruiter is just going to download your résumé for an initial screening without ever actually reading the e-mail text; even if the e-mail text is read, it won't be picked over with a fine-toothed comb, so there's a reasonable chance the typo gets ignored anyway. If a given employer will ding you for the typo, your only hope is really that they don't notice it, which is obviously not happening if you try to follow up with a correction.

One other alternative (that I've thought about myself) is to just wait a week and then mail again. What are the chances they even notice it's the same person?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Liam wrote:I'll speak up for "just let it ride."

If the subject of the e-mail is clear, it's highly likely the recruiter is just going to download your résumé for an initial screening without ever actually reading the e-mail text; even if the e-mail text is read, it won't be picked over with a fine-toothed comb, so there's a reasonable chance the typo gets ignored anyway. If a given employer will ding you for the typo, your only hope is really that they don't notice it, which is obviously not happening if you try to follow up with a correction.

One other alternative (that I've thought about myself) is to just wait a week and then mail again. What are the chances they even notice it's the same person?

Honestly really what I was thinking before I started freaking out. I swear I'm just gonna start deleting emails after I send them.

No way would I try the second one though. What if the recruiter liked you but your app has been sitting on some partners desk un-looked at or something? Seems like way too many alternatives to fuck yourself to me. There's plenty of people on here claiming to get interviews even a few weeks after submitting their materials.

Thank you tls (and some Evan Williams) calming my nerves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:40 pm

OP, recruiters are normally attractive college graduates who are following a preconceived formula about who they bring in. The typos (as long as they're not in your resume) are likely not a big deal. The people looking at your resume at these firms at this stage are not likely to be attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:15 am

FWIW: I got a 3L offer from the V5 firm I am now with with the wrong year for my 2L summer associate position in my resume. One of the partners actually called me out on it during my callback, but I still got the offer. Try to avoid typos, but there is nothing you can do about it now that will not make you look worse.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Nobody practicing law makes typos.

Ever.

Especially not with documents filed with courts/regulators or important correspondence with clients.

We're all perfect - all the time and without exception - and have no sympathy for pathetic mortals and their humiliating typographical transgressions.

Good day.

(in seriousness, don't point it out. It doesn't help you to do so and plenty of people will miss is or spot it and not care. C'est la vie)

Fixing mistakes where it helps is a good thing - if you had a wrong date or number or address or sent to the wrong people or something. But fixing something that's just an obvious oversight won't do you any favors

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:09 pm

I once sent a cover letter to Firm A informing them, due to a copy paste error, of my lifelong desire to work for Firm B. I emailed the recruiter to address the typo and she seemed supremely unimpressed.

dj_roomba

Postby dj_roomba » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Honestly, things like that are going to ruin your chances at the the law firm. Typos like that are a killer.

No I'm just kidding. LOOK I put an extra "the" in that sentence above. Bet you didn't notice.

Double "the" is extremely difficult to notice. I really hope you didn't notify them because then they'll notice it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 pm

dj_roomba wrote:Honestly, things like that are going to ruin your chances at the the law firm. Typos like that are a killer.

No I'm just kidding. LOOK I put an extra "the" in that sentence above. Bet you didn't notice.

Double "the" is extremely difficult to notice. I really hope you didn't notify them because then they'll notice it.

lmao thank you for that post

I almost did... i started drafting a correction email but couldn't find any way to couch it without sounding bad. then I checked TLS and saw the overwhelming poll. I hope the hivemind was right :|

Return to “Legal Employment”