White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Did anyone ever get reimbursed? My CB was well over 2 months ago, and no reimbursement.

It was annoying because their travel agent didn't want to pay for a hotel in Manhattan, because everything was over budget. I wound up just getting a hotel an hour away for 200 (a 2 star motor inn). What is funny is the recruiter made me feel cheap for not staying in a $600 hotel, and put it on my card. Obviously, I paid for taxis as well.

During one of my interviews, I heard they're moving offices (likely downsizing). My meal was all $15 entrees and tap water. Granted, maybe it was not a good fit so they gave me the more awkward associates and the lesser restaurant (the associates were nice, but the type to be alone in a corner complaining at a cocktail party). I also understand a company not spending frugally when they are struggling. However, I think they would get the same amount of applicants in the current legal climate if they were just honest and told you "We're struggling so we can't pay you back" instead of talking about how great they're doing and misleading their applicants.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend

Postby NYstate » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Why don't you just email them and ask? I think they can afford to reimburse you.
Last edited by NYstate on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:44 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone ever get reimbursed? My CB was well over 2 months ago, and no reimbursement.

It was annoying because their travel agent didn't want to pay for a hotel in Manhattan, because everything was over budget. I wound up just getting a hotel an hour away for 200 (a 2 star motor inn). What is funny is the recruiter made me feel cheap for not staying in a $600 hotel, and put it on my card. Obviously, I paid for taxis as well.

During one of my interviews, I heard they're moving offices (likely downsizing). My meal was all $15 entrees and tap water. Granted, maybe it was not a good fit so they gave me the more awkward associates and the lesser restaurant (the associates were nice, but the type to be alone in a corner complaining at a cocktail party). I also understand a company not spending frugally when they are struggling. However, I think they would get the same amount of applicants in the current legal climate if they were just honest and told you "We're struggling so we can't pay you back" instead of talking about how great they're doing and misleading their applicants.


Why don't you just email them and ask? I think they can afford to reimburse you.

Too late now.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:55 pm

and another nail in the coffin for the once venerable white & case.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Not OP. But related question. I'm also waiting for reimbursement from a NY CB during OCI. Is it too late to email them and ask them about it?

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend

Postby NYstate » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP. But related question. I'm also waiting for reimbursement from a NY CB during OCI. Is it too late to email them and ask them about it?

No.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone ever get reimbursed? My CB was well over 2 months ago, and no reimbursement.

It was annoying because their travel agent didn't want to pay for a hotel in Manhattan, because everything was over budget. I wound up just getting a hotel an hour away for 200 (a 2 star motor inn). What is funny is the recruiter made me feel cheap for not staying in a $600 hotel, and put it on my card. Obviously, I paid for taxis as well.

During one of my interviews, I heard they're moving offices (likely downsizing). My meal was all $15 entrees and tap water. Granted, maybe it was not a good fit so they gave me the more awkward associates and the lesser restaurant (the associates were nice, but the type to be alone in a corner complaining at a cocktail party). I also understand a company not spending frugally when they are struggling. However, I think they would get the same amount of applicants in the current legal climate if they were just honest and told you "We're struggling so we can't pay you back" instead of talking about how great they're doing and misleading their applicants.


Why don't you just email them and ask? I think they can afford to reimburse you.

Too late now.

What does this mean? Did you never ask for reimbursement?

This is a pretty fishy post.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:09 pm

I meant if I asked now they'd see the TLS post. Forms were already submitted. I never followed up about them, because that seemed rude and cheap. Every other firm reimbursed me in like a week. I just assumed that they're struggling. I'm not going to stalk them over $500. My chief gripe is they could have been more open about it.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby NYstate » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I meant if I asked now they'd see the TLS post. Forms were already submitted. I never followed up about them, because that seemed rude and cheap. Every other firm reimbursed me in like a week. I just assumed that they're struggling. I'm not going to stalk them over $500. My chief gripe is they could have been more open about it.

What is wrong with you? Just ask. You can edit the post if it makes you feel better. Even if you can afford the $500, they should still reimburse you. I take it you didn't get an offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:20 pm

It's poor form to go on here and complain about this before following up with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My chief gripe is they could have been more open about it.

I had a V100 NYC office that didn't send me the usual "call our travel agent" email after the callback phone call. When I called HR, the week before my callback, to ask if there was someone I should contact about expenses, they said they wouldn't pay but that I could interview at their local office instead. Very weird, as well as an apparent NALP violation.

I went anyway and made it a very long daytrip, but I know they also didn't reimburse other people on callbacks.

So I guess they were upfront about it, but it was still really weird. I would have felt a lot worse if I had shelled out $500 to get there, though.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 pm

I know that at least one firm didn't reimburse me for several months after my callback, so I wouldn't panic. Probably best to contact them.

aces
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby aces » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I meant if I asked now they'd see the TLS post. Forms were already submitted. I never followed up about them, because that seemed rude and cheap. Every other firm reimbursed me in like a week. I just assumed that they're struggling. I'm not going to stalk them over $500. My chief gripe is they could have been more open about it.

You really think a 500+ attorney law firm that added 28 partners and 56 SAs in 2013 and has billing rates upwards of $1,000/hr for certain partners is going to purposefully stiff you $500 solely because they're "struggling?" Get over yourself. The fall recruiting season is incredibly hectic for every large law firm recruiting department, and stuff inevitably falls through the cracks. By this point, you've either accepted an offer (unlikely, since you wouldn't trash your own firm) or been rejected months ago. It isn't "rude or cheap" to follow up on a reimbursement you think you should have received. Rather, it's childish and immature to privately fume over what is almost certainly an innocent mistake and then trash the firm on an anonymous forum. And don't get me started on the other garbage in your OP. You, sir or madam, have a complete and total lack of understanding of law firm economics if you think the quality of your CB restaurant or the beverages served there (OH THE HORRORS OF TAP WATER) reflects on how well a firm is doing.

And no, I don't work for White & Case nor do I think it is a particularly great firm. In fact, I think White & Case is exactly the sort of jack of all trades, master of none firm that might struggle in the new age of law firm economics (only band 1 ranking is international arbitration). But your rationale is totally off-base, and I don't want any gullible 1Ls to believe your drivel.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 am

aces wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I meant if I asked now they'd see the TLS post. Forms were already submitted. I never followed up about them, because that seemed rude and cheap. Every other firm reimbursed me in like a week. I just assumed that they're struggling. I'm not going to stalk them over $500. My chief gripe is they could have been more open about it.

You really think a 500+ attorney law firm that added 28 partners and 56 SAs in 2013 and has billing rates upwards of $1,000/hr for certain partners is going to purposefully stiff you $500 solely because they're "struggling?" Get over yourself. The fall recruiting season is incredibly hectic for every large law firm recruiting department, and stuff inevitably falls through the cracks. By this point, you've either accepted an offer (unlikely, since you wouldn't trash your own firm) or been rejected months ago. It isn't "rude or cheap" to follow up on a reimbursement you think you should have received. Rather, it's childish and immature to privately fume over what is almost certainly an innocent mistake and then trash the firm on an anonymous forum. And don't get me started on the other garbage in your OP. You, sir or madam, have a complete and total lack of understanding of law firm economics if you think the quality of your CB restaurant or the beverages served there (OH THE HORRORS OF TAP WATER) reflects on how well a firm is doing.

And no, I don't work for White & Case nor do I think it is a particularly great firm. In fact, I think White & Case is exactly the sort of jack of all trades, master of none firm that might struggle in the new age of law firm economics (only band 1 ranking is international arbitration). But your rationale is totally off-base, and I don't want any gullible 1Ls to believe your drivel.

Yeah, this. There is no way W&C is sweating your motor inn reimbursement.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This is a pretty fishy post.

+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone ever get reimbursed? My CB was well over 2 months ago, and no reimbursement.

It was annoying because their travel agent didn't want to pay for a hotel in Manhattan, because everything was over budget. I wound up just getting a hotel an hour away for 200 (a 2 star motor inn). What is funny is the recruiter made me feel cheap for not staying in a $600 hotel, and put it on my card. Obviously, I paid for taxis as well.

During one of my interviews, I heard they're moving offices (likely downsizing). My meal was all $15 entrees and tap water. Granted, maybe it was not a good fit so they gave me the more awkward associates and the lesser restaurant (the associates were nice, but the type to be alone in a corner complaining at a cocktail party). I also understand a company not spending frugally when they are struggling. However, I think they would get the same amount of applicants in the current legal climate if they were just honest and told you "We're struggling so we can't pay you back" instead of talking about how great they're doing and misleading their applicants.


Well from someone who did have a CB with them, not only did they pay for a very nice hotel (Intercontinental Times Square), but also took me to a decent sushi place, and reimbursed me promptly.

Also, last year they took me out to lunch during an "informational" interview.

BTW didn't get the offer. But still, I'm sure they just missed you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:51 am

I got reimbursed from W&C about a month or two ago, and I didn't experience any of these issues. Pretty sure this is flame.

midnight419
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby midnight419 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:39 am

Follow up with them. Your forms probably just got misplaced.

User avatar
legalese_retard
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: White & Case NY Travel Stipend - Anyone Else Get Stiffed?

Postby legalese_retard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:35 am

If this isn't a flame and you still haven't heard back from the firm, contact your OCS and tell them the issue. While we lament the usefulness of the OCS on here, this is where they can actually help you. OCS is supposed to act as a buffer between the big firm and law students on any recruitment issues. A $500 grievance is not worth the bad rep a grievance like this would create, even if the firm was "struggling."

You should also try contacting one of the attorneys you interviewed with if the recruiter is unresponsive. If worse comes to worse, you can always file a complaint with the NALP.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.