Delaying big law start date due to baby

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Delaying big law start date due to baby

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Family planning apparently doesn't always go as planned.
I'm set to start at a big law firm in California next fall, and I just found out that I will be a mom (!) a month before the start date. I'd really want to stay home with the baby for three months, maybe two, which means I would ask to delay starting for 1-2 months. I'm thinking of offering to come in from time to time for scheduled first year trainings. From the firm's point of view, I would think that they would prefer me starting later than a future maternity leave anyway.

Does anybody have experience delaying the start date due to personal circumstances? Of course if this is a big no no, I would have to think long and hard about alternative solutions.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Delaying big law start date due to baby

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Congrats! I know when I was at a firm over the summer I became very close with a couple associates, a couple partners and definitely the recruiting staff. Did you have this same experience? If so, I would just reach out to one of them over the phone and tell them you would like their advice on how to go about this. Chances are, a partner will go talk to those that matter and get back to you.

This is something that they will definitely understand. Also, you may be right, this might be better than it happening 6 months in where they then pay you for time off (assuming they wont pay you until you start full time). I think as long as you show that you are concerned and looking for help, it will go well.

Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 pm

my firm offered a few start dates. had a guy in my year choose the earliest one, then go on paternity leave for 4 weeks two weeks into the job. may make sense to start on time, and then take paid leave. that way you dont lose out on cash. of course, this could make u look really bad, esp if its small firm. you can prob get away with this at a big firm

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:05 pm

prestige/money >>> perpetuating the human race

HTH

Return to “Legal Employment”