1L Judge Writing Sample - Double-Sided?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Judge Writing Sample - Double-Sided?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Will a judge look unfavorably on my writing sample if I double-side print it? I can't find much info about it online. Note that the cover sheet wouldn't be double-sided (my sample is 10 pages, so it would be 11 pages w/cover sheet if not printed double sided, as opposed to 6 w/ the cover sheet)

I know judges are more formal (hence why we're mailing them out), but I would love not to waste paper. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Judge Writing Sample - Double-Sided?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:18 pm

if the judge is a big lib, i say go for the 2 sided. it won't hurt you, and actually could help you with the right clerk

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Might i ask what you mean by "big lib?" what comes to my mind is a big liberal, which doesnt make much sense lol unless you mean less focused on formalities.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Might i ask what you mean by "big lib?" what comes to my mind is a big liberal, which doesnt make much sense lol unless you mean less focused on formalities.

I think what he is getting at is saving paper (and thus saving the environment). I would personally just do double sided personally, save you money. But I would also email my application if you can do that instead of paper mailing. I have no clue about that since I didn't apply to any judges my 1L summer.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:08 pm

I don't think it matters. With Judges though I would be on the side of formality.

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:20 pm

I mailed a resume and cover letter on resume paper. Cover letter included a line saying I will send a writing sample per request. Judges (really the clerks) have been fine with this, they all requested the writing sample by email. Saves paper, and money on stamps since my sample is 7 pages and gives me a reason to call them if they haven't responded in a week or two

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Neither I nor the judge I clerked for would have liked to receive double-sided anything in an application. I doubt it would have been an auto-reject based on that though.

I like nachosrgood's suggestion (and name, because it's true) though. Externship applications are a bit less . . . strict than clerkship ones. Just IMO.

Return to “Legal Employment”