1L Cover Letters

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Cover Letters

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 am

How targeted should cover letters be? I am definitely going to customize by geographic region and public interest v. private sector, but is it really expected that we go into firm specialties/practice areas like OCS suggests? Sorry if this has been covered. Thanks in advance!

Re: 1L Cover Letters

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:23 am

I had one line where I mentioned why I was interested in the firm. There are a lot of things that all firms do and are proud of though, so you can get away with some generic stuff here too. For example: "I'm interested in Firm X for it's broad international network, commitment to associate training, and it's mentorship opportunities" could apply to most firms and yet it comes off as you having done at least a minimal threshold of research.

Return to “Legal Employment”