1L SA Timeline Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA Timeline Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:33 am

1. When do firms usually reach out for interviews? Do they ever interview before finals (basically before Christmas)?

2. I'm going back to my home market over break. However, I would still like to interview at firms where my school is located (NY). I'll be gone right after finals, until mid/late Jan. Is that too late? Is it worth flying in for a couple days if I can manage to get some interviews?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Timeline Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:19 am

1. It varies, my earliest interview last year was Dec. 18th I believe, latest was Jan 8th or so.

2. It should be fine, the 1L process isn't fast enough that they will hire around you while you are at home. Most firms will want your first semester grades which aren't available till the end of January for most schools anyway. So I would let them know the exact day you will be back in NY but also say you are willing to fly back should they wish to interview you over break. You can consider making up some dates when you will be in NY over your break and then booking the flight should they schedule an interview, but I think it's probably unnecessary.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. When do firms usually reach out for interviews? Do they ever interview before finals (basically before Christmas)?

2. I'm going back to my home market over break. However, I would still like to interview at firms where my school is located (NY). I'll be gone right after finals, until mid/late Jan. Is that too late? Is it worth flying in for a couple days if I can manage to get some interviews?

I believe my 1L SA interviews were in late Janury/early February. I applied in January. So no, your timeline doesn't seem too late at all. If I had to guess, i'd imagine February is peak hiring season, as that is after you get 1L grades, and most firms want to see your first semester grades before making a hiring decision.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:00 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1. When do firms usually reach out for interviews? Do they ever interview before finals (basically before Christmas)?

I believe my 1L SA interviews were in late Janury/early February. I applied in January. So no, your timeline doesn't seem too late at all. If I had to guess, i'd imagine February is peak hiring season, as that is after you get 1L grades, and most firms want to see your first semester grades before making a hiring decision.

Yeah, I applied on 12/1 but my interviews were not actually until January. Also, a 1L SA is much, much more likely to happen for you in your home secondary market than in NY.

Return to “Legal Employment”