Bailing on an accepted job for another

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bailing on an accepted job for another

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Have a job lined up for summer and part-time during the following school year at a large DA's office, but the commute is about 40 minutes. Found another position and am interested in applying that is about 15 minutes away in medium law. What's the general advice here? I don't want to pigeonhole myself with the DA's office, but I've already made a commitment and the CSO is saying not to renege. (Also, there is a high possibility they will offer a full time job upon graduation).

Anonymous User

Re: Bailing on an accepted job for another

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a job lined up for summer and part-time during the following school year at a large DA's office, but the commute is about 40 minutes. Found another position and am interested in applying that is about 15 minutes away in medium law. What's the general advice here? I don't want to pigeonhole myself with the DA's office, but I've already made a commitment and the CSO is saying not to renege. (Also, there is a high possibility they will offer a full time job upon graduation).

Well, you can probably apply to the other place and see what happens. There's a chance that you won't get the position. I think it's iffy to do so, but I wouldn't do anything with turning down a job without another offer in hand.

If it is just the matter of a commute (which is not small), you should consider how interested you are in each position and if the midsized has as good of a chance of full time employment. If it does not, I don't think that losing a good likelihood of employment is worth gaining 50 minutes/day.

I know people who have done similar in the past. I think it depends a lot on the situation, including the market and your specific conversations. Career services will likely always say absolutely no, but remember that they want the employer to look at your law school's students and are worried about the law school reputation. While they can be a good source of information in some regards (depending on the school), you do have to balance their advice with their interests.

Anonymous User

Re: Bailing on an accepted job for ano1ther

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

1L/2L? Medium law chances after graduation at the firm? My intuition is if 2L and if you don't want to be an ADA -> no question bail.

hephaestus

Re: Bailing on an accepted job for ano1ther

Postby hephaestus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L/2L? Medium law chances after graduation at the firm? My intuition is if 2L and if you don't want to be an ADA -> no question bail.

+1. CSO is telling you out of there pure self interest. But its not their career on the line, its yours.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:34 pm

If I've read you right, the DA's office may hire you after graduation. That in itself is reason enough not to renege. If you know that you do NOT want to be an ADA, though, and the mid law position has the possibility of a post-grad offer as well, don't even think twice about reneging. As another poster said CSO will always tell you not to renege in this situation, but DA's offices have tons of interns coming and going all the time - it will not be a big deal for them at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:12 pm

If it is beneficial to you, reneg. I reneged on a job when I got something that was much better and no ones out there trying to ruin my life over it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If it is beneficial to you, reneg. I reneged on a job when I got something that was much better and no ones out there trying to ruin my life over it.

as did I

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Renegging is fine. But don't make a huge decision about your career based on the commute for 2 months. Which one offers better chance of post-graduate employment? Which one do you want to do more? Think about those objectively and choose one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:56 pm

OP, here. Thanks for all the good points guys. What I've taken away is that I should see how applying/interviewing plays out with the mid law firm and take it from there (and consider things like post-grad opportunities, interests, etc.).

Anyone have any insight on what to tell the mid law firm if they ask about other jobs/offers?

Return to “Legal Employment”