Reaching out to Your Network

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reaching out to Your Network

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:01 pm

So once a job at a firm becomes available that you have a contact at, what is the best way to go about discussing the open position with your contact? Should you ask them who might be a good person to reach out to for an informational interview? Should you simply ask them if they have any advice for applying? I don't want to seem like I'm simply asking them to hook me up with a job...

Anonymous User

Re: Reaching out to Your Network

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:41 am

Or should I ask him to serve as a reference in my cover letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:59 pm

I think this is rather specific to the contact (and possibly the firm/job). For instance, if I were to ask my parents or siblings or another close relative, I would do so differently from someone who is an alumnus of a school I attended or just randomly contacted. Using a contact from a past job would be different as well.

If you are close enough and comfortable asking, I might call or email them and say that you noticed this job posting and are very interested. Then ask if they have any suggestions for your application (such as things in your background to stress in the cover letter). This is sometimes a good way to let them know you are very interested and they may say, oh, send it to me and I'll pass it on with my recommendation or that they'll send a recommendation to the recruiter that yous end the application to. You can also apply and then contact them, but I think speaking to the contact first is more helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 am

What I would do (and did) is/was set up a meeting as an informational interview explaining you would love to learn more about a practice area, life as a lawyer, whatever you want to "learn more about." In the back of your head, of course you know why you want to meet with him/her. Where it feels appropriate (either they might mention the opening or you find the right time towards the end to transition to it), the topic of the open position comes up. Then you hope the convo flows to something along the lines of "send me your resume and I'll forward it to them" or "mention my name when you apply and I'll put in a good word." Nothing is set in terms of the best way to go about it, but for me I tried to set-up as a casual meeting while knowing what my main objective was. It's a pretty passive approach, but it works for me. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”