California bar exam

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ndirish2010

California bar exam

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:54 am

I need some opinions: is it possible to book study for the California bar? I'm really trying to save money on a bar prep class and I don't really have the time to complete a bar review class anyway because I'm clerking right now in North Carolina. I passed the NC bar in July, and finished top 10% from a T25 school, to the extent that this is relevant.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: California bar exam

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 am

Speaking generally, since you just took the bar in July, I'd think if you got hold of California BarBri (or Kaplan or whatever) books, you'd be fine. But I can't speak to California specifically.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:13 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Speaking generally, since you just took the bar in July, I'd think if you got hold of California BarBri (or Kaplan or whatever) books, you'd be fine. But I can't speak to California specifically.

My plan was to get the BarBri books from a classmate who took CA. Some people say that CA is too difficult to do without taking a prep course...but I think I remember enough from MBEs that I would just be able to do minimal studying on that.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, by the way, I haven't been on in a while and just saw that there are a ton of CA bar threads in the law students forum.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:24 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Speaking generally, since you just took the bar in July, I'd think if you got hold of California BarBri (or Kaplan or whatever) books, you'd be fine. But I can't speak to California specifically.

My plan was to get the BarBri books from a classmate who took CA. Some people say that CA is too difficult to do without taking a prep course...but I think I remember enough from MBEs that I would just be able to do minimal studying on that.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, by the way, I haven't been on in a while and just saw that there are a ton of CA bar threads in the law students forum.

So, I don't entirely know what I'm talking about, but I thought you had to return your books to Barbri upon finishing the course to get your deposit back? I thought Barbri does that to prevent this kind of problem exactly.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Sorry, just posted above... didn't mean to do anon. Habit.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 pm

OP, I don't think you need the video lectures if you already have taken a bar and have access to the books. Having taken California this summer (and while still awaiting results, so take this for what it's worth), I don't think the lectures were all that necessary over the books. If you have a solid grasp of the MBE subjects, there are only a few things you'd need to hit home for California specifically: Evidence, Civil Procedure, Wills and Community Property if I am remembering correctly.

As far as getting your deposit back, it's true you only get the $250 if you send back the books within 30 days or so following the exam. But I know more than a few people who just kept their books for whatever reason.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Yeah, Barbri does the deposit thing in the hopes of encouraging people to return their books instead of selling the books on ebay. But I think you can usually get around $300 for a used set of books, so plenty of people don't (and do).

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Get baressays.com. It's $100 (free for some schools-check the website) and you get access to tons of essay questions and sample answers. If you did well on the MBE, just getting bar essays and then some kind of used prep material or baroutlines.com should be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”