2014 PMF

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DClaw2014
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:38 pm

2014 PMF

Postby DClaw2014 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Just thought I would start a thread for the PMF cycle that we're going through. It says that semi-finalists will be contacted in late November, so it looks like we should be finding out shortly. Please post if you hear anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 pm

struck out with honors programs hoping vet pref helps me get pmf. honors programs don't care about vet pref.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:49 pm

DClaw2014 wrote:Just thought I would start a thread for the PMF cycle that we're going through. It says that semi-finalists will be contacted in late November, so it looks like we should be finding out shortly. Please post if you hear anything.


I won't be surprised if news comes out later than expected due to the government shut down.

Rirruto
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Rirruto » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:41 pm

The Semi-Finalists are out for everyone's info.

I lucked into a spot. Not sure it's worth the flight to DC given the absolute bloodbath for the current finalists. I don't have vet preference, STEM, or anything else that would be a good tie breaker. Anyway. Thought I'd update the thread for anyone who hasn't seen the email yet. Good luck everyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 pm

The Semi-Finalists are out for everyone's info.

I lucked into a spot. Not sure it's worth the flight to DC given the absolute bloodbath for the current finalists. I don't have vet preference, STEM, or anything else that would be a good tie breaker. Anyway. Thought I'd update the thread for anyone who hasn't seen the email yet. Good luck everyone.


was selected as semi as well. Can you say more about the bloodbath do you know how many of the finalist have been appointed.

Do you know the percentage of apps that usually make it to semi-finalist?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 pm

I'm actually more worried about the government being shut down during the in person assesment than anything else. Buying a plane ticket book a hotel only to have it postponed due to shutdown

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The Semi-Finalists are out for everyone's info.

I lucked into a spot. Not sure it's worth the flight to DC given the absolute bloodbath for the current finalists. I don't have vet preference, STEM, or anything else that would be a good tie breaker. Anyway. Thought I'd update the thread for anyone who hasn't seen the email yet. Good luck everyone.


was selected as semi as well. Can you say more about the bloodbath do you know how many of the finalist have been appointed.

Do you know the percentage of apps that usually make it to semi-finalist?


I've heard that only about 50% of finalists get jobs out of PMF. Not sure how many semi-finalists make it to finalist status. I was also told by a few of last year's PMF finalists that actual legal jobs are rare.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:13 pm

at this point im not concerned about getting a legal job, I understand law school was a mistake. I just need a job. Ideally a job that qualifies for public service loan repayment.

Rirruto
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Rirruto » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The Semi-Finalists are out for everyone's info.

I lucked into a spot. Not sure it's worth the flight to DC given the absolute bloodbath for the current finalists. I don't have vet preference, STEM, or anything else that would be a good tie breaker. Anyway. Thought I'd update the thread for anyone who hasn't seen the email yet. Good luck everyone.


was selected as semi as well. Can you say more about the bloodbath do you know how many of the finalist have been appointed.

Do you know the percentage of apps that usually make it to semi-finalist?


I've heard that only about 50% of finalists get jobs out of PMF. Not sure how many semi-finalists make it to finalist status. I was also told by a few of last year's PMF finalists that actual legal jobs are rare.

Last year's stats were 12k applicants, 1,600 semi-finalists, 600 finalists, and 180 appointed as of September.

It used to be that half of semi-finalists moved on to finalist and half of finalists got jobs. I think there's essentially no chance the numbers are that rosy this time around. It might be a little better than last year, but I doubt it returns the boom time 50%. Throw in the fact that some jobs are specifically allocated to STEM-track and it looks even more bleak.

On the other hand, an 11.5% chance at a job is probably better than the chances we have applying for anything else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Well there were only 7K apps this year and 1086 semi-finalists. Hopefully there are just as many finalist spot this year as last.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 pm

I know that some of you on this forum are current PMFs. If any of you still read this forum, what is the best way to separate yourself from the pack during the semi-finalist interviews? I think they change the structure every year, but I really want this program. I have wanted to be a PMF since I first heard about it. Also, if one makes it to the finalist stage do agencies reach out to you before the career fair and should you try to reach out to most of them before the fair as well? I realize getting a legal position through this program is tough, but with some networking is it possible? I know some PMFs have done legal rotations, is this feasible if you start in a non-legal position? I am wondering if you can then move on to a legal position for the rest of the program after the non-legal position. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:39 am

jaydizzle wrote:I know that some of you on this forum are current PMFs. If any of you still read this forum, what is the best way to separate yourself from the pack during the semi-finalist interviews? I think they change the structure every year, but I really want this program. I have wanted to be a PMF since I first heard about it. Also, if one makes it to the finalist stage do agencies reach out to you before the career fair and should you try to reach out to most of them before the fair as well? I realize getting a legal position through this program is tough, but with some networking is it possible? I know some PMFs have done legal rotations, is this feasible if you start in a non-legal position? I am wondering if you can then move on to a legal position for the rest of the program after the non-legal position. Thanks!


The interview process has changed completely since I went through it, so can't really help you there. If you make it through though, agencies do reach out to you if they are interested before the career fair. You should also reach out to them before the career fair as well as apply to the jobs posted on the PMF website. Getting a legal position is very tough, but my year there were a few available. They are generally not posted on the website, and the agencies will reach out to you although I think one or two may have been posted. I don't think networking will really help, they just have to like your resume enough to contact you. If you start in a non-legal postion you can definitely do a legal rotation in most agencies, but if you want to stay in one it will be based purely on networking and how well you perform in that legal rotation, since it would technically violate the program unless they decide to go through some HR hoops to help you out. In large agencies, it probably won't be possible at all unless you start in one.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I know that some of you on this forum are current PMFs. If any of you still read this forum, what is the best way to separate yourself from the pack during the semi-finalist interviews? I think they change the structure every year, but I really want this program. I have wanted to be a PMF since I first heard about it. Also, if one makes it to the finalist stage do agencies reach out to you before the career fair and should you try to reach out to most of them before the fair as well? I realize getting a legal position through this program is tough, but with some networking is it possible? I know some PMFs have done legal rotations, is this feasible if you start in a non-legal position? I am wondering if you can then move on to a legal position for the rest of the program after the non-legal position. Thanks!


The interview process has changed completely since I went through it, so can't really help you there. If you make it through though, agencies do reach out to you if they are interested before the career fair. You should also reach out to them before the career fair as well as apply to the jobs posted on the PMF website. Getting a legal position is very tough, but my year there were a few available. They are generally not posted on the website, and the agencies will reach out to you although I think one or two may have been posted. I don't think networking will really help, they just have to like your resume enough to contact you. If you start in a non-legal postion you can definitely do a legal rotation in most agencies, but if you want to stay in one it will be based purely on networking and how well you perform in that legal rotation, since it would technically violate the program unless they decide to go through some HR hoops to help you out. In large agencies, it probably won't be possible at all unless you start in one.


Thanks! I really want this. Hope it goes well.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Any semi-finalists here?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm a semi-finalist! Headed to DC tomorrow for my interview.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:00 pm

I had mine a couple weeks. This waiting game sucks. I really want this, but I'm not sure if I did well enough during my interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

I totally understand. I really want this too but the timeline makes me nervous - waiting until March until we know if we are finalists, and then still not being sure if we are actually going to end up with a job. Ugh

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I totally understand. I really want this too but the timeline makes me nervous - waiting until March until we know if we are finalists, and then still not being sure if we are actually going to end up with a job. Ugh


Yeah, I know! The good part is you have a year to get a job. Mind PMing me? Curious about your background and stuff.

Rirruto
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:53 am

I'm interviewing next week. Good luck, everyone. It seems like this is all pretty much a crapshoot.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Well, it's March. I wonder when we all find out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Not to be a downer but my advisor sent me this:

February 21, 2014 - "More than two-thirds of the 2013 finalists in the Presidential Management Fellows Program have not received jobs yet in the federal government, according to Office of Personnel Management data." Just 213 of 668 finalists in 2013 have received jobs so far. A group of current finalists and alumni of the program are organizing a campaign directed at OPM to get more finalists hired. Finalists have one year to receive an appointment; the deadline for the 2013 class is April 8, but the group is seeking an extension. Fellows must be completely on-boarded, not just hired, before the deadline. With the government shutdown, furloughs, and deep budget cuts, this has been a particularly rough year for PMF. Here's hoping the deadline can be extended. (Government Executive)

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 pm

I have heard this, but the thing is then the class of 2013 will just take the class of 2014 jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 PMF

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:11 pm

I hear that the rules for the program have changed since the new Pathways Programs regulations were implemented. It used to be just very difficult to get an attorney job as a PMF but now it is officially forbidden.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.