Ignored after CB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chinadoll

Ignored after CB

Postby chinadoll » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:01 am

Is it normal for a firm to ignore a candidate after a CB? I've been following up with one firm for over a month and not a peep.

No tea-leaves please. Already mass-mailed.

Anonymous User

Re: Ignored after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 am

This has basically happened to me after all three CBs I've had.

-One firm would respond to my e-mails and say they haven't decided yet, then rejected me about a month after the CBs.
-One firm didn't respond to my follow ups, after a month I called the recruiting person and she said they went with other people
-One firm I still haven't heard from, it'll be a month a few days. I've followed up two weeks after with the HR person by email, three weeks after with the Hiring Partner. They originally told me I'd hear in a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Same thing here. Interviewed in September, firm has failed to return calls or emails to myself and career services.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 pm

This happened to me. I followed up with news of other offers and was rejected the same day (but this was a month after the CB and no news)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm still waiting on a decision for a 2L SA from one firm I had a CB with

I'm a 3L and already completed a 2L SA with another firm :lol:

I guess not all firms feel the need to notify you when you've been rejected

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:22 pm

The firm I'm waiting on has rejected others in the past few weeks but I still haven't been rejected. I've sent emails to the recruiter and I haven't heard a word back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:30 pm

This happened to me. After a month and a half, the partner in charge of the hiring committee called me... and apologized for not being able to give me an offer. He said that I was the next person on the list, but I had the misfortune of every candidate before me accepting their offer.

Guess that says something about the jerb market eh?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:20 pm

This may be happening to me right now.

I had a CB and absolutely killed it. Truly my best CB I did. They gave me a time line of 2-3 weeks. Last Friday marked 3 weeks. After my CB I sent follow up thank you emails, no response. Yesterday I sent the hiring partner a follow up w/ updated resume, no response.

WTF!?!!?!?!?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may be happening to me right now.

I had a CB and absolutely killed it. Truly my best CB I did. They gave me a time line of 2-3 weeks. Last Friday marked 3 weeks. After my CB I sent follow up thank you emails, no response. Yesterday I sent the hiring partner a follow up w/ updated resume, no response.

WTF!?!!?!?!?

My secondary market took 7.5 weeks from callback to offer. Keep following up of course, but also keep in mind they may just be deliberating or waiting to see how their other offers get accepted, and some firms just take longer than others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may be happening to me right now.

WTF!?!!?!?!?

My secondary market took 7.5 weeks from callback to offer. Keep following up of course, but also keep in mind they may just be deliberating or waiting to see how their other offers get accepted, and some firms just take longer than others.

Yeah, like my first round of OCI, I keep telling myself no news is good news.

However, no news eventually meant all bad news.

What worries me about these people is how they straight up ignored my thank yous/follow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 am

I'm the first anon response (where this happened three times). I forgot to add... what truly amazes me is two of those three firms paid for me to fly halfway across the country to interview with them, and they still didn't bother to give me an answer!

LegalReality

Postby LegalReality » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the first anon response (where this happened three times). I forgot to add... what truly amazes me is two of those three firms paid for me to fly halfway across the country to interview with them, and they still didn't bother to give me an answer!

As a biglaw attorney I can tell you that we are sometimes just unresponsive because we have incredible client demands. When we are working from 9am to midnight daily, we don't want to stay at the office an extra 15 minutes so some precious 2l can get their employment decision.

Also lol at the cost of a cross country plane ticket being a big investment for the firm. The partners making the decision charge 800 an hour for their time. That ticket is literally worth 12 minutes of work. Tldr: we don't really put a lot of thought into candidates and frankly any drone willing to work ungodly hours is just as good as the other drone, that's the firms perspective.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 pm

As a biglaw attorney I can tell you that we are sometimes just unresponsive because we have incredible client demands. When we are working from 9am to midnight daily, we don't want to stay at the office an extra 15 minutes so some precious 2l can get their employment decision.

I hope your "big law" firm has a recruiting department that can do that. You know... cuz it's their job and not the attorney's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 pm

LegalReality wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm the first anon response (where this happened three times). I forgot to add... what truly amazes me is two of those three firms paid for me to fly halfway across the country to interview with them, and they still didn't bother to give me an answer!

Also lol at the cost of a cross country plane ticket being a big investment for the firm. The partners making the decision charge 800 an hour for their time. That ticket is literally worth 12 minutes of work. Tldr: we don't really put a lot of thought into candidates and frankly any drone willing to work ungodly hours is just as good as the other drone, that's the firms perspective.

These aren't even big law firms. Smaller Midwest firms. And if its so irrelevant who you hire, why have six attorneys spend half an hour of their time conducting interviews?

LegalReality

Postby LegalReality » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

First the "recruiting department" is somebody who has absolutely zero influence over hiring. The recruiting department is not supposed to talk to candidates in limbo, if the firm has not made a decision and there is nothing to say. The truth of the matter is if you are waiting, the firm hiring committee may not have met (sometimes this can get delayed for weeks as it is not a top priority), in which case there is nothing for the recruiter to say. More likely, the department has met and you are a backup choice if the firm does not get its first choices, again, do you expect the recruiter to call you and let you know that the firm would love to have you if the offers outstanding from "better" candidates don't yield enough offers. The firm doesn't want candidates it ended up hiring knowing that they were not even among the firms top 50 choices. Would you want somebody dating you to let you know that he or she chose you after being rejected by 49 more desirable prospects?

The reason people spend 30 minutes is to sell the firm. We don't care about learning things about you at all. We spend the 30 minutes bullshiting you about the "lifestyle" qualities of the firm so we hopefully don't have to repeat spending that time if all the top candidates reject us.
As far as how candidates are distinguished, it usually comes down to how the top 1 or 2 people at the firm arbitrarily enjoy interacting you. I can honestly say as a transactional associate that I could have done 90% of my job as a seventh grader, anyone who is interviewing can easily perform the work, so basically it's just personality in the eyes of the top people. Every interview you do other than with a top partner is just a sales job .

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks legal realty. I have no idea how biglaw works. Nobody on this forum does either, since no one here works in biglaw. Please provide us with more of your wisdom, legal realty.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:56 pm

LegalReality got time for TLS, no time for those with life in hands, seems legit

:roll:

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:00 pm

horriblegb wrote:LegalReality got time for TLS, no time for those with life in hands, seems legit

Hey now. Writing "reject" on an eval form will take him away from all those deals he's closing.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:41 pm

horriblegb wrote:LegalReality got time for TLS, no time for those with life in hands, seems legit

lol

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 pm

zweitbester wrote:Thanks legal realty. I have no idea how biglaw works. Nobody on this forum does either, since no one here works in biglaw. Please provide us with more of your wisdom, legal realty.

Dude tries to offer help on a post that no one else is replying to. Of course, when he does try to help, then people come out of the woodwork to trash him and disparage his advice, even though they haven't made any substantive contributions to the thread. Nice job!

chinadoll

Postby chinadoll » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:06 am

wow, sounds like a common problem.

@ legalreality: thanks for the input. it's always nice to see a little of the other perspective. out of curiosity, do you know if your firm eventually gets around to sending out generic rejection letters?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:48 am

Going through the same thing right now. Got the "we'll let you know in a week, unless you have another offer we can try to speed it up." Thought I actually killed this one. I'm a few days past a week but understand, in all reality, there is probably nothing I can do right now and most people at the firm could give a shit less if I'm stressed because I had to wait extra time to either get a call or rejection letter.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:If this is OCI, you just need to wait and see. We know we need to hire summers and we end up waiting a long time for our first choices to decide if they're coming. If this is outside OCI, there may not be a mechanism in place, and this isn't as ominous. If that’s the case, following up once or twice (with weeks between the last contact and following up) is fine and may get them to remember they were interested in hiring you.

As a side note, I'm an interviewer, and I usually do not give a damn about who we interview or hire because in the back of my head I wonder if I'll be here by the time you show up and I know I'll only be giving you easy assignments even if I am here. Summers are not sufficiently jaded and listening to them gloat about their real world experience on some shitty routine case wears on me (I'm having a bad week of work. I'll probably delete this next month).

Interesting.

LegalReality

Postby LegalReality » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Not sure why I got trashed for giving candid perspective to firms recruiting practice.

Also, someone mentioned rejection letters. These are generated by a secretary who fills in your name and I can confirm that every letter says the same exact thing verbatim. All the contact does is sign the letter.

Return to “Legal Employment”