1L SA - writing sample?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mcs268
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

1L SA - writing sample?

Postby mcs268 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Do you need to send in a writing sample when applying for a 1L SA? I don't see why it would be any different than a judicial externship, but my career services center said we should only send them when asked. Is that really true? I know career services often sucks depending where you go, so I'm really not sure.

mommalee
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby mommalee » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:53 pm

I've noticed that some 1L SA's ask for them, but not all. Additionally, a lot of the ones that do are for fellowships that offer $$$. I spoke with some 2L's that did 1L SA's and they said they typically sent out a firm specific CL and a resume.

mcs268
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby mcs268 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks! The idea of printing out 20 more 10 page memos for the 59 I already have to send would be marvelous. Will just have to check on the firms specifically.

Someone else just want to confirm before I jump the gun? lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

Last year for the firms that asked for a writing sample, I only had to send in a writing sample after my callback with the firm.

My initial thought that it came down to me and someone else, so the writing sample was another distinguishing factor.

Though, I cannot say for sure.

But on your note about printing out applications, I personally did not apply via paper applications. Everything I applied was through: (1) email or (2) the firm's online HR page.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:06 am

Do you have a good writing sample? I include a writing sample even when it's not requested if I really want the job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Also, isn't it still fairly early in the 1L SA recruitment process?

Last year, I didn't get all of my application materials prepared and sent out until early to mid January.

I didn't even touch the application until after Christmas.

Though, as a disclaimer, I only applied to diversity 1L SA positions. The timeline could be different for the general 1L SA positions.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22824
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:08 pm

My understanding has always been, only send what's asked for, or else you look like you can't follow directions. Someone who does hiring for biglaw posted here once about how a writing sample in isolation doesn't usually help you very much (I think the idea was that on its own, a 1L writing sample isn't likely to be hugely impressive to practicing attorneys, and it wouldn't be part of a pile of other 1L samples for context. That, and no one reads them).

User avatar
unlicensedpotato
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby unlicensedpotato » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, isn't it still fairly early in the 1L SA recruitment process?

Last year, I didn't get all of my application materials prepared and sent out until early to mid January.

I didn't even touch the application until after Christmas.

Though, as a disclaimer, I only applied to diversity 1L SA positions. The timeline could be different for the general 1L SA positions.


I would apply December 1 if you can (don't risk your grades though) or shortly thereafter. This allows you to indicate to firms in your target markets that you will be around over the holidays so they won't have to pay for a CB. This is a great way to get your foot in the door.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:56 pm

mcs268 wrote:Thanks! The idea of printing out 20 more 10 page memos for the 59 I already have to send would be marvelous. Will just have to check on the firms specifically.

Someone else just want to confirm before I jump the gun? lol.

Why are you applying by snail mail?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:05 pm

I only applied via email and did not include a writing sample unless asked. The firms that gave me callbacks all requested a writing sample after doing a screener call. Got offers for 1L SA.

Also, definitely start applying the first week in December. I had my offers by January 15th. Some firms definitely interview/hire later, but many interview in early January.

mcs268
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby mcs268 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Oh sorry, this blew up faster than I thought. lol.

I will definitely be applying December 1. I'm applying to externships too so I'll be ready on that date anyway.

I also figured that since externships were snail mail, so was Big Law. I was going to send them out on Nov 30. There is not really a lot of info about 1L positions - NALP doesn't say if they want a writing sample or not or how to apply - should I just shoot them an email? I'm just afraid of contacting them before the Dec 1st date, but I also don't want to be a day unnecessarily late.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 1L SA - writing sample?

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 pm

mcs268 wrote:Oh sorry, this blew up faster than I thought. lol.

I will definitely be applying December 1. I'm applying to externships too so I'll be ready on that date anyway.

I also figured that since externships were snail mail, so was Big Law. I was going to send them out on Nov 30. There is not really a lot of info about 1L positions - NALP doesn't say if they want a writing sample or not or how to apply - should I just shoot them an email? I'm just afraid of contacting them before the Dec 1st date, but I also don't want to be a day unnecessarily late.

Last year I did email to the nalp contact or followed their website directions and no firm gave me flak about it. I would greatly suggest doing it online, but I'm not willing to go so far as to say that paper is not ok or that every single recruiter prefers email. I imagine most do however.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.