Job at Human Rights Watch? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job at Human Rights Watch?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Background info:
- PhD in History from Berkeley
- 3L at T-14 school
- Job locked down at a V25 firm

I recently decided that I want to work at Human Rights Watch. I have a professor with whom I am quite close offer to grease the wheels at HRW for me; he is quite close to some people in the organization. I haven't been able to find out much info online about their hierarchical structure, pay grades, interview process, work environment. Can someone fill in some of these blanks for me?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: Job at Human Rights Watch?

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Wow this is going to be a tough road. There is a highly competitive post graduate fellowship offered every year, but only to 1 or 2 people and the deadline is already passed.

From what I understand from some colleagues there, they tend to work pretty long hours, but it also really depends on whether you are field staff or in the headquarters office. Salaries also vary depending on where you're stationed.

Why HRW of all organizations? It's incredibly competitive to even get an interview there and there are organizations doing comparable work that are much easier to break into. At HRW you'll likely need foreign language and area expertise as well as issue expertise. If you don't have substantial experience in the human rights field it would be quite tough to get in the door in any kind of legal position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Wow this is going to be a tough road. There is a highly competitive post graduate fellowship offered every year, but only to 1 or 2 people and the deadline is already passed.

From what I understand from some colleagues there, they tend to work pretty long hours, but it also really depends on whether you are field staff or in the headquarters office. Salaries also vary depending on where you're stationed.

Why HRW of all organizations? It's incredibly competitive to even get an interview there and there are organizations doing comparable work that are much easier to break into. At HRW you'll likely need foreign language and area expertise as well as issue expertise. If you don't have substantial experience in the human rights field it would be quite tough to get in the door in any kind of legal position.
Agreed. Sorry I can't provide the substantive information you're looking for, but it is very competitive. It's also a little bit late to be making these decisions, so you may want to consider transferring to human rights organizations after working at firms for a little.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:24 pm

OP here. Thanks for the insights thus far.

Yeah, I figured I was going to be late to the game here. But when the professor threw out the offer, I figured why not, especially given my new convictions. And I have nothing to lose at this point, since I already have a firm job locked down. The thought that I have been tinkering with is doing a year (or more if necessary) at the firm (read: get them to pay for bar prep, etc), build up some expertise in the field (though I do realize it will be limited), and give myself some time to explore the field.

Any idea what the pay is for someone coming in with a JD (or JD and PhD)?
Is it be possible to have your home office be SF or LA? Or does one have to be in NY?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the insights thus far.

Yeah, I figured I was going to be late to the game here. But when the professor threw out the offer, I figured why not, especially given my new convictions. And I have nothing to lose at this point, since I already have a firm job locked down. The thought that I have been tinkering with is doing a year (or more if necessary) at the firm (read: get them to pay for bar prep, etc), build up some expertise in the field (though I do realize it will be limited), and give myself some time to explore the field.

Any idea what the pay is for someone coming in with a JD (or JD and PhD)?
Is it be possible to have your home office be SF or LA? Or does one have to be in NY?
Why do you want to work for HRW? It is honestly confusing to me if you're concerned about pay and location.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:38 pm

m

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”