Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
orangecup
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby orangecup » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:a year into the job (big law):

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)
- have $10k in bank account
- no CC debt or other debt payments

is this admirable or foolish? i haven't refinanced yet but plan to by early 2018.


It took me two years to shift my loans from ~193k to ~123k, and I was paying down at a fairly aggressive rate. Kudos, that's a great first year.

Agree with others - increase your emergency fund (make sure it's in a high yield savings account like Ally, GS, etc.), max your Roth (backdoor), and continue to pay down loans aggressively.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:a year into the job (big law):

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)
- have $10k in bank account
- no CC debt or other debt payments

is this admirable or foolish? i haven't refinanced yet but plan to by early 2018.


Just curious: are you in NYC? What do your monthly expenses, including rent, look like?


not in NYC but in CA. COL isn't super cheap here either but i would probably have spent more living and working in NYC. my monthly expenses have averaged to around $2100 per month, and i pay for rent, auto insurance, gas, gym membership, netflix, etc. definitely living way below my means, but i live in a clean place in a safe neighborhood ten minutes from work and eat well, so no complaints. also, i'm currently childless, so that helps.

thanks everyone for the advice! it was helpful to get an objective viewpoint. i will definitely aim to increase my savings and look into the backdoor roth IRA. paying down loans hasn't been easy but it's also been good to learn how to scale back my consumption habits while still trying to live a decent quality life (as much as possible as that is while working big law).

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Here are my numbers at about 14 months in. I make just under $100K working in a non legal job. Just wanted to present a slightly different perspective in case anyone is curious about life outside of biglaw/the law in general. Come to the dark side - we work 9-6 and wear jeans every day :wink:

Put 10K in my 401(k) and 11K in IRA
Paid off 40K of loans. Fiance contributed an additional 27K to kill my PLUS loans.
Nothing in the bank (well, nothing from me. We have an emergency fund thanks to fiance.)
No debt other than my student loans.

We spend 4K/month not including loans or retirement savings, so not pinching pennies by any means. The goal is to be debt free exactly 3 years from graduation, so far so good.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 pm

A bit of advice needed on refinancing.

I am a new associate in Big Law in NYC and am looking to refi about $180k in loans. I'm very interested in First Republic due to their very low fixed rates but currently do not have their requisite liquidity requirement (15% of overall loan balance). I would like to refinance with CommonBond on their 10-year hybrid which offers fixed for the first 5 years and variable for the second 5 years. The plan would be to build liquidity on the side to meet First Republic's requirement and have them refi my CommonBond refi in Year 3 or 4 and thus never get to the variable period.

Does this sound like it would work? I've spoken with CommonBond and they said people refinance their CommonBond loans all the time but I would like a disinterested party's opinion.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 15687
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby JenDarby » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A bit of advice needed on refinancing.

I am a new associate in Big Law in NYC and am looking to refi about $180k in loans. I'm very interested in First Republic due to their very low fixed rates but currently do not have their requisite liquidity requirement (15% of overall loan balance). I would like to refinance with CommonBond on their 10-year hybrid which offers fixed for the first 5 years and variable for the second 5 years. The plan would be to build liquidity on the side to meet First Republic's requirement and have them refi my CommonBond refi in Year 3 or 4 and thus never get to the variable period.

Does this sound like it would work? I've spoken with CommonBond and they said people refinance their CommonBond loans all the time but I would like a disinterested party's opinion.

FRB wasn't big when I did my refi with commonbond, but that's basically what I did. I was with commonbond for 1.5 years before moving to FRB

Have you talked to an FRB banker? Sometimes they are flexible with liquidity requirements etc, so it never hurts to give it a try (I came close with low liquidity after discussing early on, then ended up waiting a while to build a little more before finalizing)

If someone hasn't already given you the plug, PM me and I will connectyou with my banker (you would get $200 and I would get $300 if you did refi)

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 am

I'm in the process of doing that, but from a Sofi loan. Refinanced immediately when I entered repayment. From the FRB bankers I talked to it sounded like they handle refis from other refinancers a ton. Not surprising since their rates are so much better but they are a little less widely known + that 15% liquidity is a pretty steep barrier for the first year.

It's worked out well. Cut both my payments and interest rate pretty substantially for the first year. It's been easier to get my efund built up and I've made more progress on the principal than I would've if I'd just stayed on fedloan this year. If I'd been able to do FRB from the beginning I would have, but a) didn't know about them, and b) lol at getting 15% liquidity around right off the bat unless you're coming off a clerkship.

Question for those wise to FRB, and why I'm posting anon - so, something the FRB guy let slip when we had a call to talk through stuff was that their loans are technically not student loans. Does that mean they become dischargeable? I have little to no understanding of where that particular attribute of student loans comes from, but I had it in my head that it's statutory rather than contractual. No plans to declare bankruptcy, ofc.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 15687
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby JenDarby » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:27 am

^ I've wondered this same thing but don't have an answer. He's right that they aren't student or educational loans. It is classified as a personal loan.

I didn't give it much more thought than that though since I don't expect to be bankrupt in the next 9 years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:42 am

JenDarby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A bit of advice needed on refinancing.

I am a new associate in Big Law in NYC and am looking to refi about $180k in loans. I'm very interested in First Republic due to their very low fixed rates but currently do not have their requisite liquidity requirement (15% of overall loan balance). I would like to refinance with CommonBond on their 10-year hybrid which offers fixed for the first 5 years and variable for the second 5 years. The plan would be to build liquidity on the side to meet First Republic's requirement and have them refi my CommonBond refi in Year 3 or 4 and thus never get to the variable period.

Does this sound like it would work? I've spoken with CommonBond and they said people refinance their CommonBond loans all the time but I would like a disinterested party's opinion.

FRB wasn't big when I did my refi with commonbond, but that's basically what I did. I was with commonbond for 1.5 years before moving to FRB

Have you talked to an FRB banker? Sometimes they are flexible with liquidity requirements etc, so it never hurts to give it a try (I came close with low liquidity after discussing early on, then ended up waiting a while to build a little more before finalizing)

If someone hasn't already given you the plug, PM me and I will connectyou with my banker (you would get $200 and I would get $300 if you did refi)


Thanks, this is really helpful. When I spoke with FRB they sounded like the 15% was a hard requirement but I'm not even in the ballpark right now so I think the CB hybrid is the route I'm going to take for now. Happy to use your FRB banker when the time comes to refi with them though.

User avatar
Mlk&Ckies
Posts: 7808
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby Mlk&Ckies » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am

JenDarby wrote:^ I've wondered this same thing but don't have an answer. He's right that they aren't student or educational loans. It is classified as a personal loan.

I didn't give it much more thought than that though since I don't expect to be bankrupt in the next 9 years.

I think the bankruptcy code incorporates the IRS's definition of student loan iirc, so no, it probably isn't a student loan for purposes of discharge, but yeah not sure I'd wanna test that

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 19609
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Some student loan blogs I've seen assume it is dischargeable in bankruptcy (e.g., https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/first ... financing/), though I'm not sure they're right. Pre-2005, private student loans were dischargeable. 26 USC 221 (which 11 USC 523 uses for definitions) now says that the term "qualified education loan ... includes indebtedness used to refinance indebtedness which qualifies as a qualified education loan." The only exception in 221 are for loans from relatives or through employers.

My glance at that made me think they are not dischargeable, but I haven't looked at it any closer.

User avatar
Mlk&Ckies
Posts: 7808
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby Mlk&Ckies » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Again, haven't done a deep dive, but I remember a while ago upthread there was some convo about this and FR didn't qualify because refinancings under that definition have to come with certain protections that FR doesn't offer

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 15687
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Postby JenDarby » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

hopefully whatever poster that refinanced with FRB and declares BK first will come back and let the rest of us know the outcome




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.