Putting Firm on Linkedin

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Putting Firm on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:38 am

At what point is it not poor taste to put your firm on your Linkedin profile to keep old friends updated, and potentially network with attorneys at the firm? I am aware that many people don't have anything yet, and don't want to rub it in.

bk1

Re: Putting Firm on Linkedin

Postby bk1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:42 am

I think LinkedIn is different from FB. People expect to see job stuff on LinkedIn. That said, I'd probably avoid putting it down until you start there.

Void

Postby Void » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:39 am

Yeah I think the "don't talk about your job" thing doesn't apply to linkedin, especially as long as you're just updating your profile and not posting a status update that says "sooooo excited to be joining Firm X this summer!" But yeah, it's also sort of lame to add to your profile before you've even started.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:37 am

Ditto bk and Void. Of course you put it on LinkedIn, but not until you start.

Also, I think there's a box you can click/unclick when you add a new job that says to send out notice to all of your contacts. Make sure that is not clicked. Later on in your career when you have clients, the email blast could come in handy, but for an SA or first job, it's just awkward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Lwoods wrote:Ditto bk and Void. Of course you put it on LinkedIn, but not until you start.

Also, I think there's a box you can click/unclick when you add a new job that says to send out notice to all of your contacts. Make sure that is not clicked. Later on in your career when you have clients, the email blast could come in handy, but for an SA or first job, it's just awkward.

Agreed. Generally, I think a god rule of thumb is to wait until you've been in a job for a month or so before putting it on LI. I don't think people will find it to be as poor taste to put your work on LI as on FB, but I'd still wait. (I don't have anything yet and wouldn't think it was rubbing it in for a peer to post it on LI, but I'd find it odd to put it on before actually starting there.)

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 pm

I put that I was a summer associate on my LinkedIn right after starting there as a summer. I did it because I knew I would be applying at 3L OCI and wanted potential employers to know that I had a summer associate gig.

I haven't put the firm that I'll be going to after graduation on there yet. Like BK said, I will after I start.

I don't think you really have to worry about offending people. LinkedIn is for professional networking. And I'm pretty sure I've never look at a friend's profile on LinkedIn any way. They're all so delightfully boring.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:06 pm

LinkedIn doesn't allow you to put a future job on your profile.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Danger Zone wrote:LinkedIn doesn't allow you to put a future job on your profile.

Well technically yes but I've seen a handful of people find creative ways to express that they will be starting at the job in the future using the job as their "current job."

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:34 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh, law students.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:41 pm

I've been on the job for a year now, I think I have to break down and get a LinkedIn profile :(

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:I've been on the job for a year now, I think I have to break down and get a LinkedIn profile :(

It's worth it for networking.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:07 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I've been on the job for a year now, I think I have to break down and get a LinkedIn profile :(

After you get added to mailing lists for stuff outside the firm, people will stalk on linkedin. Heck, people within your firm will look you up on linkedin.

If you're a future SA, don't add until you actually start. Your firm may have some social media policy you need to follow, although it's unlikely to really affect anything you normally do.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:51 am

NinerFan wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:

After you get added to mailing lists for stuff outside the firm, people will stalk on linkedin. Heck, people within your firm will look you up on linkedin.

If you're a future SA, don't add until you actually start. Your firm may have some social media policy you need to follow, although it's unlikely to really affect anything you normally do.

All of this. It's sort of amazing how many randos will LinkedIn stalk you.

eschewinganonymity

Postby eschewinganonymity » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 am

I have seen 2L's who have begun following a law firm after right after OCI completed - essentially signalling they were going there without saying it outright...

Only not subtle to those still looking for a gig...

Void

Postby Void » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:13 am

eschewinganonymity wrote:I have seen 2L's who have begun following a law firm after right after OCI completed - essentially signalling they were going there without saying it outright...

I'm usually on board with the notion that people should keep their job situations to themselves but sorry- I think it's actually pretty normal and not douchey to follow your SA firm on LinkedIn.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:01 am

Void wrote:
eschewinganonymity wrote:I have seen 2L's who have begun following a law firm after right after OCI completed - essentially signalling they were going there without saying it outright...

I'm usually on board with the notion that people should keep their job situations to themselves but sorry- I think it's actually pretty normal and not douchey to follow your SA firm on LinkedIn.

Gotta agree w this. It's what Linkedin is for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:04 am

rad lulz wrote:
Void wrote:

Gotta agree w this. It's what Linkedin is for.

Agreed. Also, I'm still searching for a job and have followed firms on LinkedIn - not because I'm going there. You may be reading too much into this.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 am

Hell, I follow a bunch of firms on LinkedIn that I didn't get an offer from. I don't even know if I follow the firm I actually have an offer with. :lol:

Return to “Legal Employment”