Thank yous after an awkward interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank yous after an awkward interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:56 pm

I had a callback yesterday and it went well until I met the last interviewer. He is the managing partner and he is one of the "named" partners (the firm is named after him). He was a complete jerk. I have a lot of political experience and he spent 15 of our 20 minutes going off on how someone of my political persuasion is "incompetent" and "does not have the skills necessary" to be a successful lawyer and that I did not exercise "good judgment" in taking politically related jobs. He finally stopped when he asked me if I could prove that I could work with people on the other side of the political spectrum to which I responded "i am not the one insulting people on the other side of the spectrum." He laughed and said "good response" and asked if I had questions about the firm.

The recruiter asked me how it went and I gave an noncommittal answer to which she responded "yeah he is a jerk don't take it personally."

I know TLS has varying views on thank yous but I always write thank yous and feel bad not doing so. However, this interview was so awkward that I feel like I should just lay low and wait for the rejection letter and move on. I was thinking of writing to everyone but the managing partner but I feel that is inappropriate to single him out and *not* give him a thank you.

So i'm just wondering your thoughts on 1) not sending thank yous at all in light of the above and 2) sending thank yous to everyone but the managing partner.

mephistopheles

Re: Thank yous after an awkward interview?

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:58 pm

sounds like he was pushing your buttons (probably for fun) and you responded quite well.

i'd send a sincere thank you. why not? just because there was some disagreement doesn't mean that you weren't respected as an applicant. also, it shows that you're mature and polite.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Send a thank you letter, be classy. You never know when you might run into people down the road.

I had an interview at a small firm in a big city. The office was in a huge high rise. My interview was going fine with the junior partner, then the name partner comes in. He asks me "why X law?" I told him bc I had 3 years of experience in that area of law. He told me I "didn't know shit." He told me to just be honest and say I wanted work, and also made fun of my current salary. He proceeded to further tear me down. Interview was over.

I sent him a thank you email, appreciated his comments and would keep it in mind. He replied and wished me luck. Whatever. I got a better offer a month later.

Nevertheless, don't burn bridges and stay classy.

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 pm

+1 to the previous replies.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Not sending a letter won't burn any bridge. I wouldn't waste any more time, you are probaby fucked at that firm.

gunner3

Postby gunner3 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Option 2 is the worst idea since Obamacare. I would send thank yous to everyone-sincere thank yous. I work for an ibank in new york and i know it's a different environment, but they told us if we interview candidates and they don't send thank you notes, don't hire them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:48 am

I have the same mindset as you, I feel like I must send a thank you note no matter how bad a callback went. When I had an awkward interview, I just highlighted the good parts of our conversation to show that the awkwardness didn't phase me (and also hope that's all they'll remember too... yeah right). Good luck.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 pm

No one cares what the thank you note says, its the act that matters. Just send one - and you may find, as you did here, sometimes the best way to deal with jerks is to keep a straight face and not take it personally. Frankly, I've found that when you can just roll with it, they actually might respect you more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:58 pm

OP here. Thanks all! I did end up sending the thank you. I did not receive a response but I agree it won't hurt!

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Kill people with kindness. Even if you don't get the job, you'll feel better about yourself in the process. The partner's personality proves that money doesn't buy happiness - or class.

Return to “Legal Employment”