Summer Govt job offers (FTC Consumer Protection or PBGC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Govt job offers (FTC Consumer Protection or PBGC)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Office of Chief Counsel at Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp or FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection?

General thoughts? If I want to clerk post law school? If I want to work for a firm at 3L OCI (I know, not easy)?

Both purport to offer full time employment to summer interns when they can.

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Govt job offers (FTC Consumer Protection or PBGC)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I currently work at PBGC OCC. It's a great place to work with excellent exit options to firms if you are interested in ERISA or bankruptcy. If you have any interest in ERISA, I would suggest you take it over the FTC for one simple reason--the PBGC is self-funded, so sequestration has no impact here and we haven't had any decrease in hiring. I used to work at the FTC (Bureau of Competition), and the hiring of interns into full time positions was drastically cut with sequestration. From what I heard, it was even worse at the Bureau of Consumer Protection, which even in good years would hire only around a fourth to half of its intern class. The PBGC is definitely your best shot at full time employment, and like I mentioned, exit options within the ERISA world are great. PBGC would also look better for 3L OCI firms with a large ERISA practice, but if you missed the boat as a 2L you will probably have to work here for a few years before you can move to a firm if you want to. I doubt FTC BCP would be particularly attractive to firms since privacy and consumer fraud are generally not large practices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Office of Chief Counsel at Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp or FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection?

General thoughts? If I want to clerk post law school? If I want to work for a firm at 3L OCI (I know, not easy)?

Both purport to offer full time employment to summer interns when they can.

I interned at the Bureau of Consumer Protection. I think they typically give offers to 2-5 summer law clerks for full time positions immediately after grad -- or at least that seemed to be the trend in recent years. And they usually have around 20 summer law clerks.

They do give a lot of substantive work and I think it helped me at OCI. I really enjoyed my experience there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:27 pm

when did ftc bcp callbacks/offers go out? honestly only interested in ftc comp but curious what this timing looked like

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:51 pm

I just got my status changed to "referred" for the PBGC yesterday. I'm wondering if this is doublespeak for "ding" because it's kinda late in the process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got my status changed to "referred" for the PBGC yesterday. I'm wondering if this is doublespeak for "ding" because it's kinda late in the process.

I got "referred" too. This is the full comment: "Based on the final assessment of your resume and other supporting documents, we have determined that you are among the Best Qualified for this position, and have referred your application to the Selecting Official for further consideration. The review and selection process can take up to 90 days to complete, during which you may be contacted for an interview. We will notify you of your final status for this position."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got my status changed to "referred" for the PBGC yesterday. I'm wondering if this is doublespeak for "ding" because it's kinda late in the process.

Same here. Nothing for 2 months until yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:18 pm

OP, did you make a decision yet?

Others, have you heard anything?

Return to “Legal Employment”