LR Editorship or F100 In House?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LR Editorship or F100 In House?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Background: I am currently a 2L, and a writer on law review at a T30 school. I have a SA lined up with a primarily transactional NLJ250 firm based in a major market. I do not have aspirations to clerk. My goal is to increase my ability to lateral (either to a different firm or in-house) down the road.

Question: Should I pursue an editorship with the Law Review, or intern in the legal department of a Fortune 100 company in the spring (and possibly continue working as a 3L). Doing both would not be possible because of the time commitment and schedule.

Do transactional firms care about LR editorial board, or would spending a couple of semesters at a well known company in-house be more beneficial in the long run?

Anonymous User

Re: LR Editorship or F100 In House?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:02 pm

I would take the In House gig:

1) Better chance of leading to a job down the road
2) I hate all things LR and I plan on taking the easiest job on our board (hello N&C editor).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 pm

LR is stupid pointless bullshit[FN1] and a resume line item won't do shit for you in the real world, especially in the transactional real world.

[FN1] Roberts, J.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Background: I am currently a 2L, and a writer on law review at a T30 school. I have a SA lined up with a primarily transactional NLJ250 firm based in a major market. I do not have aspirations to clerk. My goal is to increase my ability to lateral (either to a different firm or in-house) down the road.

Question: Should I pursue an editorship with the Law Review, or intern in the legal department of a Fortune 100 company in the spring (and possibly continue working as a 3L). Doing both would not be possible because of the time commitment and schedule.

Do transactional firms care about LR editorial board, or would spending a couple of semesters at a well known company in-house be more beneficial in the long run?

In-house for sure if you're transactional.

target

Postby target » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:52 am

Why can't you just do both?

If it's next spring, then you won't be on board yet. If it's spring 2015, then you are almost done with law school and law review, so why would intern at a F100 affect your workload?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 pm

At my school you didn't get a grade for law review editorship. I was busy as hell, so I just did a half ass job. So did about 2/3 of the other editors. Law review editor is a resume line that you should get. They're not going to take it away unless you fall on your face.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:01 pm

target wrote:Why can't you just do both?

If it's next spring, then you won't be on board yet. If it's spring 2015, then you are almost done with law school and law review, so why would intern at a F100 affect your workload?

OP here. LR editor responsibilities for us start in the [edit] 2L spring. Doing editor work, 20/hr week internship, and class would probably make my grades suffer, and I do not think LR would go for it.

target

Postby target » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
target wrote:Why can't you just do both?

OP here. LR editor responsibilities for us start in the [edit] 2L spring. Doing editor work, 20/hr week internship, and class would probably make my grades suffer, and I do not think LR would go for it.

how early/late do you start doing editor work? If it's late March or April, I think you can do both if you gun hard enough. If it's earlier than that, well, maybe go with positions in which you don't have to do work right away or no work at all. Also, you can just take lighter courses next semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:49 pm

In house and its not even close. 1) you already have your SA gig, so the extra year of LR wont make a difference with then; 2) your stated goal is to move inhouse somewhere down the line, this position is the right step for that goal, as it either leads to networking opportunities or future employment if they like you and you keep in touch; 3)add a different experience on your resume/in your life; 4) what everyone else has said re: LR in 3L

Return to “Legal Employment”