1L New York summer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
skittles

New

1L New York summer

Post by skittles » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi,

I'm a Canadian so my law school career office doesn't have much info on 1L summer jobs in New York.

I've got a few questions.

1) First of all, about not being able to contact employers until December 1st. I'd like to email firms and ask if they hire Canadians and 1Ls. Do I have to wait until after December 1st to do so?

2) Is hiring after 1L common in the New York? Is it worth emailing firms who don't post info about whether they hire 1Ls on their website to find out if they do? I know in Toronto hiring 1Ls is quite rare, so I'm trying to get a feel for how it works in the US.

3) What's the general timeline like for 1L New York jobs? Do resumes/CVs get submitted as close to December 1st as possible, and then you follow it up with a transcript when it becomes available in January? Are there interviews?

4) Any other tips or resources for the 1L hiring process in New York would be much appreciated, I really don't know much at all. If a list (other than NALP) exists of places that hire 1Ls that would be amazing.

Thanks!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: 1L New York summer

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:09 pm

skittles wrote:Hi,

I'm a Canadian so my law school career office doesn't have much info on 1L summer jobs in New York.

I've got a few questions.

1) First of all, about not being able to contact employers until December 1st. I'd like to email firms and ask if they hire Canadians and 1Ls. Do I have to wait until after December 1st to do so?
No. But why bother - why not just email them to apply in December? If they don't hire Canadians and/or 1Ls, they won't look at your application.
skittles wrote:2) Is hiring after 1L common in the New York? Is it worth emailing firms who don't post info about whether they hire 1Ls on their website to find out if they do? I know in Toronto hiring 1Ls is quite rare, so I'm trying to get a feel for how it works in the US.
If you're referring to big law, 1L hiring is rare. Only the very best students from the very best schools are considered. It is immeasurably easier to get a position for 2L summer.
skittles wrote:3) What's the general timeline like for 1L New York jobs? Do resumes/CVs get submitted as close to December 1st as possible, and then you follow it up with a transcript when it becomes available in January? Are there interviews?
Resumes get submitted as close to December 1 as possible. Sure, follow up with a transcript. They're not hiring you either way.
skittles wrote:4) Any other tips or resources for the 1L hiring process in New York would be much appreciated, I really don't know much at all. If a list (other than NALP) exists of places that hire 1Ls that would be amazing.
You're not getting a 1L big law position. Very few students at American law schools get them, and no firm is going to bother going to the trouble of hiring a student from a Canadian law school unless you have something truly amazing counting in your favor (son of a partner, Rhodes scholar, etc).

2L summer associate positions are much easier to get (but still very difficult).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”