Risk missing 3L OCI to honeymoon?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Risk missing 3L OCI to honeymoon?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous because I post frequently and would be easily outted when most know I am planning a wedding IRL

I was lucky enough to get a 2L SA at a V20. The firm has 100% offer rate for as far back as I can get data. I am completely happy and content to work there, and do not want to seek out another job if I had the option.

I have my wedding planned for early August after I get off my SA, and would like to honeymoon soon after before school starts. I would be missing OCI though. Should I still plan to have my honeymoon then? Or should I plan for a christmas break honeymoon instead

Anonymous User

Re: Risk missing 3L OCI to honeymoon?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:09 pm

This is a risk I would personally feel comfortable taking.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:15 pm

agreed that this seems like an acceptable risk. And if towards the end of the summer you get the feeling that you are for some reason in danger of getting no-offered or you hate the place, then maybe you postpone the honeymoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Related question: how useful is 3L OCI? Do many people get jobs through this approach? I'm at a T6 and have a summer position at a small firm and am not sure if I will like it or if I will secure an offer since they don't hand out too many. (Going to the firm since it is in the field I care about.)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Related question: how useful is 3L OCI? Do many people get jobs through this approach? I'm at a T6 and have a summer position at a small firm and am not sure if I will like it or if I will secure an offer since they don't hand out too many. (Going to the firm since it is in the field I care about.)

There are very few jobs available at 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:59 am

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Related question: how useful is 3L OCI? Do many people get jobs through this approach? I'm at a T6 and have a summer position at a small firm and am not sure if I will like it or if I will secure an offer since they don't hand out too many. (Going to the firm since it is in the field I care about.)

There are very few jobs available at 3L OCI.

On the other hand, this is likely the kind of candidate that gets a look.

In my experience -- and although this is true in 2L OCI it is even more true in 3L OCI -- most of the available jobs will be from the V20 (which have large NYC office, large summer classes, and large annual lawyer intakes) and are more likely to be practice-specific. This generally means you have to have competitive grades. I'll assume you have competitive grades from your T6, in which case you'll likely get a bunch of screeners if you apply outside the OCI lottery as well, but I think the bigger consideration is going to be the pedigree and practice area of your 2L firm. If it really is a very specialized practice area then it might be a hard sell if the OCI firm isn't recruiting for that area. And if it's a niche practice that a lot of big firms also do, they might wonder why you decided to summer at the small firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”