Employer's consideration of grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employer's consideration of grades

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am

I'm a 2L--top 10%, LR--at a not-so-prestigious school and was very fortunate to receive an offer from a V35 firm in a secondary market (my preference for proximity to fiance's family). My question is how much do grades matter now that I have my 2L summer job offer, i.e., will they ask for an updated resume? If so, pre-summer? Post-summer? This firm has a very solid 100% offer rate--even in its satellite offices and made this very clear to me with their offer. I just wanted to get opinions on how that might tie in with 2L/3L grades, especially being at a non-T14 school.

kalvano

Re: Employer's consideration of grades

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:37 am

You should search this, this topic has been beaten to death, resurrected, beaten some more, brought back as a zombie and killed by Rick and his crew only to be brought back again and beaten some more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:25 am

For what it's worth, I had to submit an official transcript during my SA.

Though, the discussion of grades never came up during any of my reviews.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 am

If it's really solid one hundred percent. You don't have to worry at all. If it's more like 95 percent going back ten years, you still don't have to worry much. Avoid terrible grades and nobody will even blink.

The real reason to care is because if something bad happens early, like no offer, getting lathamed, having to lateral early, etcetera you want to have decent grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”