Sending internal memo to proofreading service

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sending internal memo to proofreading service

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Does anyone at a big firm do this to help check for typos and formatting? I just worry the partner will see the charge and think I'm being lazy as shit. I have a hard time catching my own typos.

sparty99

Re: Sending internal memo to proofreading service

Postby sparty99 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone at a big firm do this to help check for typos and formatting? I just worry the partner will see the charge and think I'm being lazy as shit. I have a hard time catching my own typos.

NO. Ask your secretary, Associate, or a Partner who you are close with (possibly a mentor) to read your work.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Absolutely not. No way. That's what your secretary or the firm's word processing service is for.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:00 am

Uh yeah handing out memos and other documents (which may contain confidential information) is a huge no-no.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Sorry poor word choice on my part. The proofreading service is our document processing department. I'm not talking about sending to some random company.

I'm just wondering if it's appropriate for a purely internal memo from me to my partner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry poor word choice on my part. The proofreading service is our document processing department. I'm not talking about sending to some random company.

I'm just wondering if it's appropriate for a purely internal memo from me to my partner.

Ask the partner/senior associate who you're working with about their general WPC policy/preferences. At my firm, we usually only process documents that a client might lay eyes on, but YMMV and it doesn't hurt to ask.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:33 pm

I've heard of people doing this and was surprised that it was a thing.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 pm

I've always sent things to doc services. Not sure what the fuss is about.

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:05 pm

It depends,

Some firms add document services only to overhead, in which case you can use it unlimited. While other firms have the doc services bill to the client. If it is the latter you may get push back for internal memos.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Read closer when you edit. Not only will you catch typos, it will improve your writing.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Read it in reverse order. Start at the last word and work to the first word. It forces your brain to look at the individual words instead of trying to form the sentences.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:44 pm

arizonairish wrote:It depends,

Some firms add document services only to overhead, in which case you can use it unlimited. While other firms have the doc services bill to the client. If it is the latter you may get push back for internal memos.

The funny thing about this logic is that the client will end up paying for two hours of junior associate time instead of doc processing time to do the same thing, because no one wants to turn over even internal work product with typos.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks guys. I found out they don't charge the client so I'm going to start using them as a sort of last line of defense. I'm going to start the backwards word by word also. And I'm keeping a list of typos I frequently make to check.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Another thing you can do is use a ruler to cover the text to make sure you are reading slowly and line by line. When it is your own writing and you know what you were trying to say, it is really easy to skip through stuff really quickly when you are trying to proof, and that is how you miss your errors.

fxb

Postby fxb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm a little late to this party but here are my two cents. Use the firm's word processing department to help with proofreading, but not as a crutch. They are not attorneys, so they don't read your document from that perspective. I have had them either "catch" things that aren't really errors, or miss sentences that appear technically correct but don't make sense to someone who knows the law. (On the first one, my most recent experience with WPS is when they changed my sentence from, "It was error for the lower court to apply X..." to "It was an error for the lower court to apply X..." Mine was a very natural sentence to attorneys and judges, not to others.)

On the other hand, they are great for fixing annoying document issues or partner preferences. ("Hey, guys, Word keeps screwing up the header formatting. Can you make it work?" "Can you change this from one space after a period to two?")

Return to “Legal Employment”