3L with a job. how to keep interviewing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L with a job. how to keep interviewing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:07 pm

i'm a 3l and i have accepted a job. however, i want to look and interview for a different one (i won't get into why i am looking for a different gig). if i contact/interview with a firm, how do i communicate to them my current status? is it ok to state that i received a full time offer but omit that i have accepted? or do i need to be telling every interested firm that i have accepted?

i don't want to give other details, but i will state that i am looking in smaller, non-coastal markets. nalp rules generally don't apply because <30 lawyers in these firms. it seems like more people around here are afraid of offending others/stepping on toes.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L with a job. how to keep interviewing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm

As a 3L in a similar position (but haven't accepted), i've been telling them that i have an offer in hand.

i would omit the fact that i've accepted, it will only make you look unreliable and not trustworthy.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:55 pm

At some point very early in the process, you need to tell the other firm that you've accepted elsewhere but that for xyz reason you are reconsidering. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the first email, but you will be asked why you don't want to return to your old firm. When asked, you must included that piece of information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:40 pm

kwais wrote:At some point very early in the process, you need to tell the other firm that you've accepted elsewhere but that for xyz reason you are reconsidering. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the first email, but you will be asked why you don't want to return to your old firm. When asked, you must included that piece of information.

how about during an interview? if so, when? at the end? beginning? as a general strategy, i think i want to sell myself and get the firm interested, as much as possible, before i let them know about the "complicating" factor at play in my situation.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kwais wrote:At some point very early in the process, you need to tell the other firm that you've accepted elsewhere but that for xyz reason you are reconsidering. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the first email, but you will be asked why you don't want to return to your old firm. When asked, you must included that piece of information.

how about during an interview? if so, when? at the end? beginning? as a general strategy, i think i want to sell myself and get the firm interested, as much as possible, before i let them know about the "complicating" factor at play in my situation.

I think that the "how was your summer" and "is there any particular reason you are looking elsewhere" questions will come up in your first interview either with recruiting or an attorney. That's your chance to get out on front of the issue and appear that you have nothing to hide.
Your desire to sell first is understandable, but don't sour it by making it seem like you had a clear opportunity to bring it up and didn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 pm

kwais wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think that the "how was your summer" and "is there any particular reason you are looking elsewhere" questions will come up in your first interview either with recruiting or an attorney. That's your chance to get out on front of the issue and appear that you have nothing to hide.
Your desire to sell first is understandable, but don't sour it by making it seem like you had a clear opportunity to bring it up and didn't.

OP here. received some advice that cuts against this. basically: don't lie, but i am well within my rights to keep things to myself. any rebuttal?

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kwais wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. received some advice that cuts against this. basically: don't lie, but i am well within my rights to keep things to myself. any rebuttal?

Feel free to go with your "rights" on this, instead of what comes across as candid and allows them to make a decision with all the relevant information.

Return to “Legal Employment”