Salary requirement?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Salary requirement?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi all,
Graduated in May, just passed NY and NJ bars. I just got an interview at a small firm in Queens, New York. As far as I can tell, it's a solo practitioner, does mainly corporate, employment, immigration, and litigation. I originally stated that my salary was negotiable in the application, but in the email asking about an interview, I was asked again about my "salary request." Any guidance?

Gorki

Re: Salary requirement?

Postby Gorki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,
Graduated in May, just passed NY and NJ bars. I just got an interview at a small firm in Queens, New York. As far as I can tell, it's a solo practitioner, does mainly corporate, employment, immigration, and litigation. I originally stated that my salary was negotiable in the application, but in the email asking about an interview, I was asked again about my "salary request." Any guidance?

Scour Google, ask around friends you know in similar positions. How is compensation structured? Eat-what-you-kill? Flat rate salary each year?

This has been useful for me, hope its useful for you too: http://www.roberthalf.com/legal/salary-calculator#!

Just take it seriously. Start with a range you would be happy working in for the foreseeable future... The old adage is that people change jobs to get a pay increase they could've gained if they asked for more when applying to their current job... Most places do not give raises anymore, so do not expect those to bolster a weak salary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 am

Gorki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Scour Google, ask around friends you know in similar positions. How is compensation structured? Eat-what-you-kill? Flat rate salary each year?

This has been useful for me, hope its useful for you too: http://www.roberthalf.com/legal/salary-calculator#!

Just take it seriously. Start with a range you would be happy working in for the foreseeable future... The old adage is that people change jobs to get a pay increase they could've gained if they asked for more when applying to their current job... Most places do not give raises anymore, so do not expect those to bolster a weak salary.

Thank you very much for your response. That site you mentioned put the average salary between $75K and $106K for first year associates at small firms, with the midpoint at $90K. Salary.com provided similar numbers. Based on a few discussions with friends, though, it seems that number is much higher than reality. Does this sound about right to you?

lonerider

Postby lonerider » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Last edited by lonerider on Sat May 10, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuel Patane

Postby Samuel Patane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:32 pm

I haven't heard too much on salary negotiation for entry-level attorneys. Usually the job just kinda tells you what they pay and you either take it or don't.

Return to “Legal Employment”