USAO (SDNY) vs. DOJ SLIP (Exec. Off. Imm. Review) - 2L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO (SDNY) vs. DOJ SLIP (Exec. Off. Imm. Review) - 2L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 pm

(Anonymous for obvious reasons)

Hey everyone, just trying to get some independent feedback on my choices here. I plan on being a prosecutor after graduation (worked at a local DA's office my 1L summer), and am looking for a bit of guidance. Much to my excitement, I was given an offer to work at USAO (SDNY) for my 2L summer. Much to my surprise, I was then contacted by the DOJ Summer Law Intern Program for an interview with the Executive Office of Immigration Review component. SDNY is obviously right up my alley; the EOIR isn't as much, though I do have immigration law experience and generally enjoy it plus the opportunity to do SLIP is huge.

I don't have SLIP right now (just an interview at this point, so this could be a non-issue), but if I do get an offer, what would you do given those career goals in mind? I'd appreciate feedback from people with similar career interests, but any feedback will be helpful. An official offer letter is coming from SDNY and they said on the phone that I'd have a few weeks to accept/decline, so I do have some time but not much. Gracias!

rad lulz

Re: USAO (SDNY) vs. DOJ SLIP (Exec. Off. Imm. Review) - 2L

Postby rad lulz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I'd try to work in the local prosecutor's office again. That or USAO

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 pm

EOIR is a great experience for someone who wants to get into immigration law, but not the thing to do if you want to be a prosecutor. I would go with the USAO, then contact a DAs office that hires interns and see if you can set up a term-time internship. If local to you is NYC, look into the Manhattan DA.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 am

SDNY

I wouldn't even bother going to the EOIR interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 am

(original anonymous poster)

Looks like my instincts were correct. Just wanted to check. Thanks TLS!

P.S. mr. wednesday: already worked there this past summer and loved it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm

To the OP: I have also been contacted by EOIR but was only asked for a writing sample and to fill out a geographic preference sheet. Did you actually receive a request for an interview, or did you just anticipate that you would receive one?

Return to “Legal Employment”