legal ethics Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TigerDude

Bronze

Re: Confronted with unethical practice at new job

Post by TigerDude » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Being the one "honest" guy at your firm will just get you fired.

If it is a moral issue to you, you should find other employment.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:32 am

Tanicius wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:LOL at reporting this

Just do your job plebe
+1,000. OmG. I would fire you immediately. Clearly this is your first job. Just shutup and do your job and stop worrying about this. This is not a big deal. But you are making it a big deal. There are battels that you fight and there are battles that you don't. THIS IS NOT WORTH MAKING YOU LOOK LIKE AN A$$ WHEN YOU ARE NEW AND HAVE NO CLOUT IN THE FIRM. WOW.

ZOMGZ GUYS EVERY RESTAURANT MANAGER POCKETS HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS OF REVENUE EACH NIGHT ILLEGALLY, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE AND DO YOUR JOB GAWD.
Yeah if you ask a bunch of lawyers what do to when you find out your coworkers are committing a felony, don't be shocked when the answer is "report it." You're free not to listen, but "Be cool man" isn't great advice.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Re: legal ethics

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I'll just relay a piece of advice I recall hearing from my contracts professor, a very cool guy who taught me a lot about the practice of law. He told us to always remember - our law license is OURS ALONE. PROTECT IT AT ALL COSTS. It doesn't belong to a firm, and you can take it with you anywhere. It alone allows you to make money. But if it gets tarnished, or revoked, you lose your livelihood. So if you find yourself affiliated with unethical people, or are being asked to do something unethical - WALK.

So OP asks a question about ethics. The MPRE answer is report, everyone knows that. The practical answer is muddier, sure (hence my tongue in cheek allusions to the fact OP is publicizing knowledge of an ethical breach). And if you look the other way, probably nothing will ever happen. BUT, do you want to risk being asked under oath by a state bar disciplinary board investigator whether you knew about this and failed to report it?

Ethics in practice is hard, sure, not because we don't know what the right answer should be, but because following through on the right answer can be very difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”