Compliance at IB/PE/Big Corp -> Do they pay for your MBA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Compliance at IB/PE/Big Corp -> Do they pay for your MBA?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:58 am

Title basically says it all. Struck out at OCI with a business background and good grades, not willing to apply to small firms so looking into compliance. Was wondering if after a few years these firms usually pay for your MBA. Anyone have experience trying to go this route?

guano

Re: Compliance at IB/PE/Big Corp -> Do they pay for your MBA?

Postby guano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Title basically says it all. Struck out at OCI with a business background and good grades, not willing to apply to small firms so looking into compliance. Was wondering if after a few years these firms usually pay for your MBA. Anyone have experience trying to go this route?

IBs tend to reimburse for MBAs, but usually you need to work there for a year first, and reimbursement might be dependent upon grades. Just look at the websites if your target companies, because they don't all have identical policies

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 am

Highly unlikely. Worked compliance at an ibank as an intern in undergrad. It's the type of job where anyone with a college degree who struck out in banking can rise through the ranks of compliance/ back office functions without an MBA. Those who I've seen enter compliance with an MBA aren't in much better positions than those without one.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

^they probably still pay for the MBA, but that won't get the type of job for which people normally get an MBA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:28 am

So I'm guessing JD compliance -> MBA -> PE/IB associate doesn't really exist, then?

guano

Postby guano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm guessing JD compliance -> MBA -> PE/IB associate doesn't really exist, then?

It's not that it doesn't exist, just that it's unlikely - especially ITE.
Still, not the worst route to try

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm guessing JD compliance -> MBA -> PE/IB associate doesn't really exist, then?

Yea that doesn't really exist, but it is what you make it. If you learn finance on your own time and get a decent MBA, you could make a case for i banking. No PE firm I know would hire you, but investment banks might as a first year associate, especially if you have worked at a BB before and can say your want front office

Return to “Legal Employment”