Help with law school recruiter problem

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: Help with law school recruiter problem

Postby rad lulz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:I think you are sorta fucked if you tell and if you don't.

If you do, you look like an idiot who got involved in a messy relationship. If you don't, she can possibly poison the well.

I'd call and see if you can't come to an understanding, then pray she doesn't start rumors. But know, the minute you sweep this under the rug, you'll probably forfeit any chance the firm will take your side and not hold it against you. The only reason I'd go this way is because the HR piece of ass doesn't have much pull in the firm, at least usually.

Prepare doze clerkship apps for flyover country.

I think this is the most cogent analysis

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:16 am

zweitbester wrote:Romances among co-workers aren't the problem. The problem is the spill over and drama. If the firm gets a whiff of the drama, OP is done. I think all in this thread, including the OP, are capable of appreciating that distinction (and of reading our HR policies during orientation).

Again, I think you're exagerating the extent to which the firm is likely to find out about this and, if they do, how likely they are to straight up fire OP.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 am

I know someone who was no-offered a year or two ago for getting into a relationship with someone at the firm which ended up being messy but less so than what OP is describing. If you worked at the firm and went to them, they'd probably take your side. But a summer doesn't work for the firm yet in any real sense. You are still interviewing and getting paid for it.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 am

Bronte wrote:
zweitbester wrote:Romances among co-workers aren't the problem. The problem is the spill over and drama. If the firm gets a whiff of the drama, OP is done. I think all in this thread, including the OP, are capable of appreciating that distinction (and of reading our HR policies during orientation).

Again, I think you're exagerating the extent to which the firm is likely to find out about this and, if they do, how likely they are to straight up fire OP.

I mean, if the recruiter goes shouting down the hallway about this relationship, I think it's pretty likely that the firm will find out about it. Given what she already did to OP's car, I wouldn't say that any such action, or similar one, is out of the question.

As far as exaggerating the likelihood of getting fired, OP isn't going to get fired. I never said he would. I said OP would get no offered. Firms have no offered on weaker grounds, and no offering will be, in the firm's eyes, the easiest and most low-risk way to deal with the situation.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 am

mr. wednesday wrote:I know someone who was no-offered a year or two ago for getting into a relationship with someone at the firm which ended up being messy but less so than what OP is describing. If you worked at the firm and went to them, they'd probably take your side. But a summer doesn't work for the firm yet in any real sense. You are still interviewing and getting paid for it.

Exactly.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:38 am

zweitbester wrote:I mean, if the recruiter goes shouting down the hallway about this relationship, I think it's pretty likely that the firm will find out about it. Given what she already did to OP's car, I wouldn't say that any such action, or similar one, is out of the question.

As far as exaggerating the likelihood of getting fired, OP isn't going to get fired. I never said he would. I said OP would get no offered. Firms have no offered on weaker grounds, and no offering will be, in the firm's eyes, the easiest and most low-risk way to deal with the situation.

Sure, if she does end up telling, OP is in a very precarious situation. Still, I don't think it's a certain no offer in that case, at least assuming OP is accurately characterizing the events. She bashed in his car windshield. That's gonna be a tough sell for her.

But my main point is that I think the most likely outcome is that she does not tell the firm that she bashed in his windshield. That's really not in her interest. Of course, she could lie and make the facts more favorable to her, but any way you slice it she'll be risking her job. Crazy or not, I think she's most likely to follow the path that's in her self-interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 pm

OP, have you considered manipulating the situation? She is clearly attracted to you and mentally unstable. Why not ask to meet her in a public place and just make up your conservative views stem from grandpa xxx, but you thought about it and she's right. You're so sorry, you'll do anything to make it up to her. You do not have sex with her, just be needy and unphysical. She'll lose attraction to you and dump you with no emotional reaction. She'll only want to screw you if she is emotionally engaged.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, have you considered manipulating the situation? She is clearly attracted to you and mentally unstable. Why not ask to meet her in a public place and just make up your conservative views stem from grandpa xxx, but you thought about it and she's right. You're so sorry, you'll do anything to make it up to her. You do not have sex with her, just be needy and unphysical. She'll lose attraction to you and dump you with no emotional reaction. She'll only want to screw you if she is emotionally engaged.

^ now we're thinking like a lawyer team!

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Bronte wrote:
zweitbester wrote:I mean, if the recruiter goes shouting down the hallway about this relationship, I think it's pretty likely that the firm will find out about it. Given what she already did to OP's car, I wouldn't say that any such action, or similar one, is out of the question.

Sure, if she does end up telling, OP is in a very precarious situation. Still, I don't think it's a certain no offer in that case, at least assuming OP is accurately characterizing the events. She bashed in his car windshield. That's gonna be a tough sell for her.

But my main point is that I think the most likely outcome is that she does not tell the firm that she bashed in his windshield. That's really not in her interest. Of course, she could lie and make the facts more favorable to her, but any way you slice it she'll be risking her job. Crazy or not, I think she's most likely to follow the path that's in her self-interest.

Yeah, I don't think you're quite characterizing my position correctly. And this will be my last post on the matter because I fucking hate arguing with you.

1) The law firm won't take sides. It won't hold a trial to determine if OP is telling the truth or if the recruiter is. It will deal with the situation in the cleanest way possible. I don't know what'll happen to the recruiter, but OP will get no offered.

2) I never said she's going to tell the firm she bashed OP's windshield. I said, given that she bashed OP's windshield, we can't assume that behavior such as lying, etc. are not probable. In fact, given that situation, that behavior is likely.

But you say that she's not likely to lie because it's not in her self-interest. That assumes the person is capable of rationally assessing her options (i.e., is mentally stable). Her actions so far have proven that that's not the case. Therefore, what is and isn't in her self-interest is irrelevant. She will do what makes sense in her brain, and that's the same brain that justified bashing OP's windshield.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:33 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, have you considered manipulating the situation? She is clearly attracted to you and mentally unstable. Why not ask to meet her in a public place and just make up your conservative views stem from grandpa xxx, but you thought about it and she's right. You're so sorry, you'll do anything to make it up to her. You do not have sex with her, just be needy and unphysical. She'll lose attraction to you and dump you with no emotional reaction. She'll only want to screw you if she is emotionally engaged.

^ now we're thinking like a lawyer team!

TBF, if I was in that situation, I'd do exactly that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

My point is she has to know that if it gets out she smashed the windshield of a future employee she's done. She's so emotional she doesn't care. She isn't a cold and calculated sociopath, but seems like Sharon Stone in basic instinct. If she thinks OP is a loser and she's above him she will dump him. Honestly, if I were in this situation I might even considering pretending I like men or am crazy jealous.

The more time that separates her from this, the lower the odds she tattles. Honestly if OP is such a stud he drove her crazy that might mean he'd be good with clients, but I'd imagine all the hiring partners will think is you've made their lives worse and more stressful before even working there which is kinda the opposite of why they hired you. In this economy I'd can you just for inconveniencing them so don't let this get out. That said, it'd be funny if you bill them for the windshield with the nalp forms.

iplulzer

Postby iplulzer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:32 am

Absent a really strong nepotistic connection to the firm, there is NO scenario under which OP has a post-SA future there if the firm finds out. Period. No hiring committee in its right mind will risk hiring someone with such poor judgment and potential for trouble.

So don't fool yourself, and make your decision with the above in mind. If you want to work there then find a way to keep her from dishing, at least until you can trade firms next August if necessary. My guess is that things will have blown over by then.

Obviously if there is a real concern for your safety then the job must go (and the cops must come in).

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:39 am

Smash her car window. Eye for an eye bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Could you pay her for a non-disclosure agreement? You could sign to not report it to the cops and pay her 5k. Then if she tattles you get all the damages...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm

yup,now that the firm knows you leak details on the internet any hope you had at telling the firm and hoping for the best just went out the window.

Best case, cut a deal with the girl and pray

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:Did she look good nude at least bro

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:02 pm

pics?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Not OP but ATL is really cruel. This is just a kid trying to land a job. Why would they ruin his life for some views? Is there a basis to sue them? What sleazy pricks.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:08 pm

good think you kept your identity a secret! those types of comments about atl, who knows..

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:10 pm

I just assume anything I've posted on here is fair game for ATL.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:17 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline ... y_disorder

I agree that pics or at least a hotness estimate on 1-10 scale would be helpful.

I would not under any circumstances tell the firm or HR. For all you know she'll be fired by the time you start work there, and its a moot point. If it is horrible when working there you will at least be an actual employee at that point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:45 pm

mephistopheles wrote:good think you kept your identity a secret! those types of comments about atl, who knows..

I used foul language, and I want to keep my firm job. I don't understand why you people are still making a joke about this. OP could be a classmate of yours, or if not then he's still a person we can all relate to - worked hard, paid a lot of debt, overcame the odds and got a great job. Now, he loses the job because he slept with a crazy woman?

What ATL did is wrong. Firms aren't perusing TLS threads trying to pinpoint dumbasses. Many lawyers at big firms peruse Above The Law. Law firms recruiters certainly do, and now she's gonna see this.

NOWHERE on TLS does it say that your posts can be posted on Above The Law. ATL isn't just some little pansy blog. They sell ads. There were 4 ads on the page. They also ripped off my Sharon Stone reference, but that's not actionable.

ATL knows what they're doing, and OP is one of the little people. They're willing to ruin his life for a few hundred dollars. Ellie Mystal is fat scum. He'll harm anyone just to get some more rice balls to shove in his fat face.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 pm

I don't want to start a whole big thing, but how's this situation perceived if the genders were reversed and this was a male recruiter?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:19 pm

This is OP. I had to remove the anonymity to declare that this was a troll. I figured I was going to be revealed one way or another by admitting it. Ban me--I really don't care.

See my other troll from that afternoon: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=219144.

I'm satisfied with the result but I'm going for CNN.com next week, if I can still access TLS...

Return to “Legal Employment”