Bar Stipends, Reimbursements etc. - Namely at Quinn

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
parlezvouspennoyer

Bar Stipends, Reimbursements etc. - Namely at Quinn

Postby parlezvouspennoyer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:51 am

Hey! I was recently just googling how bar stipends/reimbursements/advances etc. work, and stumbled upon this lovely chart:

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/associat ... id-to-ask/

Unfortunately, it seems to be from 2008. I got all excited seeing that Quinn had a $10,000 stipend, then saw that on their own website there was no mention of this, but mention of a $7,500 interest free loan instead. Obviously, not even nearly as good.

If there is anybody in the know, does this mean that I will be having to use this interest free loan to survive until I start work? And will I be paying out of pocket all the bar fees etc. and then submitting a reimbursement? Is this the way it normally works for people going into biglaw?

What are all of your plans? It is going to be terrible in the time leading up to starting work, because I have terrible credit so finding a place and a car etc. are hard enough, let alone on a budget. I guess I should have thought about that before racking up them bills in undergrad...

ph14

Re: Bar Stipends, Reimbursements etc. - Namely at Quinn

Postby ph14 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:43 pm

parlezvouspennoyer wrote:Hey! I was recently just googling how bar stipends/reimbursements/advances etc. work, and stumbled upon this lovely chart:

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/associat ... id-to-ask/

Unfortunately, it seems to be from 2008. I got all excited seeing that Quinn had a $10,000 stipend, then saw that on their own website there was no mention of this, but mention of a $7,500 interest free loan instead. Obviously, not even nearly as good.

If there is anybody in the know, does this mean that I will be having to use this interest free loan to survive until I start work? And will I be paying out of pocket all the bar fees etc. and then submitting a reimbursement? Is this the way it normally works for people going into biglaw?

What are all of your plans? It is going to be terrible in the time leading up to starting work, because I have terrible credit so finding a place and a car etc. are hard enough, let alone on a budget. I guess I should have thought about that before racking up them bills in undergrad...

I don't know specifically about Quinn, but why don't you get in touch with recruiting for details? they should be able to help you at. I think most firms nowadays provide you a salary advance before you start work, although I know at least one firm provides a stipend instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:27 pm

I have personal knowledge of Quinn's policies.

They will pay for barbri and your bar fees, you don't need to worry about that. They will also give you money for relocation, so you don't need to worry about those sorts of expenses. In worries about your credit score, they can get you a letter listing your salary and start date, which most landlords/car dealerships will accept as proof of income.

As for the stipend vs. interest free loan...we don't know yet. Offer letters this year said that a decision would be made in January. Quinn's whole thing is appearing "slightly above market," so if other firms are sticking with interest free loans (I know offhand that S&C gave those out instead of stipends recently), or asking you to pay for barbri out of your stipend (I know MoFo did that recently), then they can say "Hey, we pay for barbri and give you an interest free loan!" and feel like they're making a competitive offer. If, by January, other firms clearly go back to stipends (or there is some similar sea change), then Quinn will go back as well. However, given the state of legal hiring, this doesn't seem likely to happen soon.

parlezvouspennoyer

Postby parlezvouspennoyer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks so much! Doesn't sound too bad. They had already told us to direct bill Barbri, which is nice. In this case, if they could give us a stipend instead of a loan, I'll consider it a gift from above. Otherwise, I'm going to start saving now to get me by until starting time. That's good to know about the letter, too. I was mainly worrying that the $7,500 loan on the website wouldn't be enough because I wouldn't be able to finance (or lease) a car and would have to pay outright. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Return to “Legal Employment”