Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lasers

Gold

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Post by Lasers » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 pm

are there even jobs? unicorns them things are...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I thought for awhile that my OCS was just incompetent. But it seems to be the norm among law schools.

Quite sad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:00 pm

1L URMs talking about 1L SA diversity positions:

"I can't wait to tell my parents about my 6-figure job with a big law firm this summer."

I understand you have to maintain a level of confidence, but there's a big difference between confidence, and complete idiocy.

1Ls, no grades, and they are basing this entirely on one networking event they went to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:1L URMs talking about 1L SA diversity positions:

"I can't wait to tell my parents about my 6-figure job with a big law firm this summer."

I understand you have to maintain a level of confidence, but there's a big difference between confidence, and complete idiocy.

1Ls, no grades, and they are basing this entirely on one networking event they went to.
A personable African-American with above median grades at a t-14 is pretty set... probably the best position besides being a really hot girl in the top 25% or grading onto LR.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:47 am

A friend of mine transferred from a TTTT to my school but has stayed in contact with some of his friends from 1L. Their delusion is unbelievable.

He didn't get big law through OCI at my school and was ranting to a friend of his from the TTTT who, of course, did not get big law from his OCI because, well, they don't even really have OCI.

"Yeah, I'm not worried about it. I mean, I'm top half [at TTTT], so I know I have a shot at getting a big law job at 3L OCI."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:56 pm

hiima3L wrote:A friend of mine transferred from a TTTT to my school but has stayed in contact with some of his friends from 1L. Their delusion is unbelievable.

He didn't get big law through OCI at my school and was ranting to a friend of his from the TTTT who, of course, did not get big law from his OCI because, well, they don't even really have OCI.

"Yeah, I'm not worried about it. I mean, I'm top half [at TTTT], so I know I have a shot at getting a big law job at 3L OCI."
Even if you were top 1/2 at a T20, your chances at a biglaw offer are super slim.

I don't even want to know the chances from a TTTT.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote: A personable African-American with above median grades at a t-14 is pretty set... probably the best position besides being a really hot girl in the top 25% or grading onto LR.
For 1L SA? Not so sure abut that. Also not sure how you grade on to LR before you apply for 1L SA, or how many T-14s have pure grade-on policies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm at a T-14 where plenty of people had a hard time getting something from OCI. I do not know one African American who didn't get a biglaw job out of OCI. In fact most if them had SA jobs last summer and just moved up the ranking this summer.

It's good to be a URM in law school. White male not so much.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a T-14 where plenty of people had a hard time getting something from OCI. I do not know one African American who didn't get a biglaw job out of OCI. In fact most if them had SA jobs last summer and just moved up the ranking this summer.

hmm oddly enough, now that i think about it, this actually matches my experience. Not necessarily all of them had 1L SAs but i know a lot of median and below median people at V10

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thatgirlthere

New

Post by thatgirlthere » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a T-14 where plenty of people had a hard time getting something from OCI. I do not know one African American who didn't get a biglaw job out of OCI. In fact most if them had SA jobs last summer and just moved up the ranking this summer.

This is how idiots think.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:55 am

thatgirlthere wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:02 am

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: A personable African-American with above median grades at a t-14 is pretty set... probably the best position besides being a really hot girl in the top 25% or grading onto LR.
For 1L SA? Not so sure abut that. Also not sure how you grade on to LR before you apply for 1L SA, or how many T-14s have pure grade-on policies.
I meant in general. 1L job placement is always unpredictale. You have median kids land 1L SA and can be a 4.0 AA, and not get one. In the grand scheme of things 1L SA doesn't matter. It's obviously a good thing to have but no reason to freak out either way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

bwv812 wrote:
thatgirlthere wrote:

If you are weighing the pros and cons of being a URM, you can't just take in the boost in jobs without taking in the documented struggles they face.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
thatgirlthere wrote:

If you are weighing the pros and cons of being a URM, you can't just take in the boost in jobs without taking in the documented struggles they face.
yeahh let's not go down this road

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:57 pm

quote from dean of career services in response to the nyt article from 2011 ("is law school a losing game"):
"People do need to pay attention to the debt involved. But that shouldn't discourage anyone [from attending law school at full price]."

:roll:

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:59 pm

BlueLotus wrote:quote from dean of career services in response to the nyt article from 2011 ("is law school a losing game"):
"People do need to pay attention to the debt involved. But that shouldn't discourage anyone [from attending law school at full price]."

Take note of it, then disregard it entirely. Got it, thanks Dean.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:13 pm

The debt should discourage unique people from applying. Let's pretend if affirmative action didn't exist and firms were still racist fucks. Back in the day the first black lawyers would get a law degree for chump change, farm part time and practice law part time. They could make a good life without the firms. With 200k debt that's impossible. I'd argue anyone with a disability, facial scarring or a lisp not go because median at CCN won't cut it. It's just too risky.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's pretend . . . firms were still racist fucks.
Why pretend? A cursory glance at some NALP forms shows the white man firmly on top.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 pm

This discussion isn't even slightly funny.

To try and get the thread back on track: I know a K-JD at my HYS who got exactly one offer from OCI, at a NY V20. He turned it down because, and I quote, "[V20 firm] makes offers to anyone with a pulse." What is wrong with the world?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 pm

You know, when I started this topic I was hoping to get some chuckles.

And even though I have gotten some laughs, I've also had quite a few "Wow, WTF moments."

It's very disheartening to read about how naive/out-of-touch individuals are about the legal market.

Though, some of the worst/starkest things I've heard so far have come from when I was just hanging out at my school's main area, and overhearing 1Ls talk about jobs:

"I'll only work at [x] firm because they are the only ones with a good [x] practice."

"I'll only work at a big firm because I want to make a lot of money but only put in 40 hours a week."

"I want to go to a big firm so I can become an expert trial lawyer."

I can't remember ever being that naive as a 1L. But I should credit that to my old mentor who sat me down before I started and gave me a pretty accurate portrait of the legal market.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24 pm

School brought in an pre-recession grad (who was top of her class every semester, booked several classes) who in regards to exam nerves told everyone not to worry. grades aren't that important. there are tons of jobs...

:shock:

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 pm

BlueLotus wrote:quote from dean of career services in response to the nyt article from 2011 ("is law school a losing game"):

TOTALLY TRUE

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone give an explanation for why in the world a career counselor would tell anyone to take their military experience off their resume? I've seen this multiple times and it's happened at my own school, enough to make me believe it's not all that rare of an occurrence
I received several offers and I know that at least a few (if not all) of them were considerably motivated by my military experience, so I can't really comprehend this either. At least not based on any rational or informed justification. Maybe if you have some incredible civilian work experience (e.g., Goldman Sachs, McKinsey) and you want to get your resume down to a single page or something. But still, that only makes some sense to me if you had some sort of support MOS that isn't that much different from having a civilian job. Unfortunately, I kind of worry that it's mostly due to a negative bias that stems from misinformed political rhetoric and a severe cultural disconnect between civilians and veterans.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”